Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Athlone to Ballinasloe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I've looked at that map a few times, but still a bit confused as to what the bit of old N6 between the roundabout and the Railway line is for?

It appears to stop at the bridge :confused:

Local access I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Coolest website I've come across in a long time.

Furet wrote: »
    Coolest website I've come across in a long time.

Beats the pants of Google Earth.:D

I just love the ability to switch between 2000 & 2005 images, the amount of construction in that timeframe is amazing, the 2010 images will be mindblowing!

• Advertisement

I just love the ability to switch between 2000 & 2005 images, the amount of construction in that timeframe is amazing, the 2010 images will be mindblowing!

And for the nosey neighbour in ya, the land registry option will show you if your man down the road got planning permission for his shed.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

There seem to be a lot of images from 2006 as well, as I can clearly make out the Cashel to Mitchelstown scheme in the early stages of construction (I'd say early August 2006).

The "2005" images from my area are earlier than that, I started my house in September 2004 and it's not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The new roundabout is brilliant. Credit where due.

Now to get the jackasses who jam on the breaks before Tuam exit (despite being Galway-bound) out of the way and well all be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

there was tarmac( or asphalt) down on the link between the new M6 and the N6 just east of Balinasloe. The bridge beams are up on where the M6 crosses the N6 between here and Athlone.

I didn't see any sign of any structure at Aughrim where the M6 crosses the N6 west of Balinasloe. and there's only fencing and a small bit of clearance work going on at the end of the M6 route at Douiskea in Galway city

• Advertisement

The new roundabout is brilliant. Credit where due.

Now to get the jackasses who jam on the breaks before Tuam exit (despite being Galway-bound) out of the way and well all be happy

It would now make sense to allow traffic to remain in two lanes westbound on the approach to the Tuam exit, left lane for Tuam right for N6 west. single lane on the approach is no longer necessary,

It would now make sense to allow traffic to remain in two lanes westbound on the approach to the Tuam exit, left lane for Tuam right for N6 west. single lane on the approach is no longer necessary,

I know... The construction team there have p1ssed me off alot during construction what with putting traffic lights in dopey places, closing exit early and unncecessarily etc

Part of me looks at the roundabout and thinks "ah fek it its worth it" and the other part wants back those extra 20 odd minutes a day for a month of U-turning at Summerhill

Now.... I see some mixed reaction to proposals to keep Athlone bypass as DC.

Pros: Tractors will keep away from the already congested town centre
    Cons: People who dont give a sh1t about Athlone will be annonyed at having to slow down on the bypass

Add more pros/cons as necessary. My opinion (biased as im local) is that Athlone is too large a population centre for the bypass (which is very close to the centre) to be isolated. They would need a third bridge over the Shannon to facilitate all traffic.

And as we are in a R.... Im not even gonnna spell that horrible word...

Long story short, the cheap (and probably most popular option) is to keep it DC, perhaps increasing speed limit to 120 if the Roscommon side gets sorted. But again with the lack of money.. :mad:

I believe that part of the budget for constructing the new road is set aside for updating the bypass to where it joins the M6 at Kilmartin, perhaps resurfacing and new signs etc
    The section between Tuam Rd and Roscommon Rd should remain non-motorway, to avoid clogging up the town with tractors, but the remainder can be Motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Now.... I see some mixed reaction to proposals to keep Athlone bypass as DC.

No way is that road fit for a 120 limit. There are too many off ramps which end at T-junctions and back up in traffic. If this were to be changed to a motorway, they'd have to close the Garrycastle, Ballymahon Road and Roscommon exits, at a minimum.

Local traffic would then be even more ****@d than it is, what with the failure to build the road at the railway station, the failed one way system, and the crap access to Town Centre and Golden Island.

Zube wrote: »
    No way is that road fit for a 120 limit. There are too many off ramps which end at T-junctions and back up in traffic. If this were to be changed to a motorway, they'd have to close the Garrycastle, Ballymahon Road and Roscommon exits, at a minimum.

There are many DC's in the UK that are worse than that with 70MPH limits, Putting traffic lights at those junctions will prevent the backup of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Putting traffic lights at those junctions will prevent the backup of traffic.

About a year ago, I saw the lads painting enormous yellow circles at the Ballymahon Road exits, obviously thinking about putting in a dumb-bell junction.

Zube wrote: »
    About a year ago, I saw the lads painting enormous yellow circles at the Ballymahon Road exits, obviously thinking about putting in a dumb-bell junction.

Good idea! better than lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

does it really matter id it remains as a DC ?

9 times out of 10 people will do the 120Km/hr anyway

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It should be 90kph from the Roscommon Road to the Bliary exit , thats 3km or so . It is not safe for 100 never mind 120kph with those 3 exits right on top of each other east of the river and the bad bend on the bridge and the sightlines west of it .

I favour a 90kph motorway there .

This means you will travel those 3km in 2mins and not in 1.5mins so what the **** :p

There are many DC's in the UK that are worse than that with 70MPH limits, Putting traffic lights at those junctions will prevent the backup of traffic.

Maynooth Exit anyone?

Thats a T junction on a Motorway...and a bloody busy one at that

Countless others on the M4 closer to/from Dublin

But for getting motorway... Wed' need to get the Garycastle/Ballymahon Road exits revamped with more roundabouts for safety reasons

Garycastle junction is a disgrace and Boxer needs to be prodded left right and centre until he jumps and says "ALRIGHT ALREADY - WELL BUILD THE ****ING THING - NOW STOP PRODDING ME"

That'll be the day :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It should be 90kph from the Roscommon Road to the Bliary exit , thats 3km or so . It is not safe for 100 never mind 120kph with those 3 exits right on top of each other east of the river and the bad bend on the bridge and the sightlines west of it .

I favour a 90kph motorway there .

This means you will travel those 3km in 2mins and not in 1.5mins so what the **** :p

90kmh speed limit is not allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Hoping to head out around Doughiska/Galway Airport area in the morning to have a proper look at what progress is being made down this end. Might even head towards Athenry if I have the time.

I hope the weather isn't too bad and fingers crossed I'll get a couple of photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

KevR,

That's be great if you got some photos. Thanks!

Just back from having a look around. Have a report and just a couple of photos. The photos are quite disappointing (explained below) but i'll try again for better ones possibly tomorrow, but if not, then definitely in the coming weeks.

Went down some side road (think it's called Garraun North) beside Galway Airport and the M6 underbridge is substantially in place there. The earth work/movement is also practically finished here. This was a nice quiet spot where I could stop the car and have a walk around. Only thing was there were a couple of builders there so I couldn't go up onto the mainline for a look/photos. Was so tempting though - there was an open gate and nice path up onto the mainline :D. Might try here early tomorrow and see if I can get a better photograph.

Also drove on the N18 past where the M6/N18 Junction (J19) will be. Foundations seem to be in place for the M6 mainline bridge over the N18, however the bridge structure itself is not yet in place. Some earth work/movement still to be done here but it definitely looks like it's taking shape. Unfortunately, traffic was pretty busy and there was no where practical for me to pull so I could get out to take a photo. (Hard shoulders on the N18 were closed off because of construction).

There is a good view of the mainline from the existing N6 Dual Carriageway at Doughiska but you'd have to stop in the Southbound hard shoulder and get out to take the photo. I stopped and tried getting a photo from inside my car but the trees on the side of the road were in the way. If I had of got out and walked over to the trees I would have had a clear view past them. I didn't fancy getting out on the Dual Carriageway though.

I wasn't there today but I passed about 3 weeks ago and the underbridge where the M6 crosses over the R348 (Derrydonnell to Athenry road) looked to be substantially in place. Also, most of the earth work seemed to be done. And I'm sure they've made some more progress since.

Like I said, I will try again for far better pictures in the coming weeks. Will try other locations and pick a quieter time to go.

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

That's great KevR,

I'm looking forward to this being the last Christmas where I have to drive from Dublin to Galway on crappy roads. Next year, Motorway all the way!

All we need now is the powers that be to get it together to build the Galway bypass (or even get it through planning), so that the end of the Motorway near Doughiska doesn't end up as one big pile up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Thanks for the pics KevR! :cool:

And yes the M6 looks set to win the MIU race... possibly even next year if the contractors really put their foot down.

churchview wrote: »
    All we need now is the powers that be to get it together to build the Galway bypass (or even get it through planning), so that the end of the Motorway near Doughiska doesn't end up as one big pile up!

I nearly feel like crying when I think of it! It was one thing terminating the motorway at an at-grade roundabout as a temporary measure until the bypass was built, but now that the bypass probably won't be built (or at least not for the forseeable future) the termination at Doughiska should be more than an at-grade RAB.

It'll give the M6 a bad name because there will be ridiculous tailbacks at that RAB - especially in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

KevR wrote: »
    J
    I wasn't there today but I passed about 3 weeks ago and the underbridge where the M6 crosses over the R348 (Derrydonnell to Athenry road) looked to be substantially in place. Also, most of the earth work seemed to be done. And I'm sure they've made some more progress since.

Thanks for the pics. It looks like good progress is being made on earthworks and building bridges etc.

Hopefully, they'll be ready to start surfacing etc. works in 3-4 months.

Once that starts it'll probably take about another 3-4 months to complete.

If that rate of progress is made on the entire M6, then the whole thing should be done before Xmas next year.

Roll on December 8th 2009!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Thanks for the pics. It looks like good progress is being made on earthworks and building bridges etc.

Hopefully, they'll be ready to start surfacing etc. works in 3-4 months.

Once that starts it'll probably take about another 3-4 months to complete.

If that rate of progress is made on the entire M6, then the whole thing should be done before Xmas next year.

Roll on December 8th 2009!

Yes it's looking like next year will be for the M6 what this year was for the M8. If the redesignations come through and all the M6 projects finished next year (except the Galway bypass of course), motorists will have an additional 82 km of M6 (approximately the length of the current M1) to drive on, adding to the 120 km of motorway they already have on the Dublin-Galway route.

• Advertisement

What really worries me is how do they intend to complete the roundabout at Drum, the road there appears to be too narrow to take two lanes of traffic!

To answer my own question, it appears that they are about to divert traffic (next day or so) onto the new roundabout on the N6 between doyles bridge & summerhill.
    Westbound traffic will use the eastern half of the new roundabout and eastbound will use a temporary shortcut straight over the middle of the roundabout.

Advertisement