Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M6 - Athlone to Ballinasloe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    I remember a while back somebody had a great map of the proposed M6 with the proposed toll location and how the M18 and M17 will link into it

Tried searching for it but couldnt find anything

Dont suppouse any1 has something similar

Specifically where the m6 toll will be placed

Maps:
    http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadProjects/n6_bsloe/downloads/N6_brochure.pdf

Proposed M17/18 link is on page 5.
    Toll plaza at Cappataggle is on page 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    I remember a while back somebody had a great map of the proposed M6 with the proposed toll location and how the M18 and M17 will link into it

Tried searching for it but couldnt find anything

Dont suppouse any1 has something similar

Specifically where the m6 toll will be placed

Maybe it was my Google maps drawing:
    http://maps.google.fr/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=fr&msa=0&msid=102535404538961261408.00044477633535c3f4313&z=10
    It includes the proposed routes for:
    - M6
    - M17
    - M18
    - Galway outer ring road
    - Tuam bypass

Regards,
    Garrett

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

One question begs to mind about the Tuam exit...is it to reopen at any stage? I assume it will once the roadworks are complete?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

ga2re2t wrote: »
    http://maps.google.fr/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=fr&msa=0&msid=102535404538961261408.00044477633535c3f4313&z=10
    - M6
    - M17
    - M18
    - Galway outer ring road
    - Tuam bypass

Regards,
    Garrett

ga2re2t,

I have to thank you for that map of the bypass etc. Best description of it I've seen so far - many thanks. It answers all my questions re. access onto the road. One (well two) questions for you.

1. How up to date is the map?
    2. Have any changes been made to the route from that you've shown, due to reacting to ecomentalists etc.?

Many thanks again

• Advertisement

One question begs to mind about the Tuam exit...is it to reopen at any stage? I assume it will once the roadworks are complete?

I expect it to reopen soon, as ALL the N6 traffic is likely to be using the westbound exit while the bypass is linked to the new motorway, the new road (looking west) goes down and to the right whereas the current road goes up and to the left over the railway.

The eastbound part of the junction needs to be completely rebuilt , so expect that section of Tuam road to be shut for a while as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

churchview wrote: »
    ga2re2t,

I have to thank you for that map of the bypass etc. Best description of it I've seen so far - many thanks. It answers all my questions re. access onto the road. One (well two) questions for you.

1. How up to date is the map?
    2. Have any changes been made to the route from that you've shown, due to reacting to ecomentalists etc.?

Many thanks again

1. I put that map together in January of this year. It's based on the detailed documentation from the Galway Co. Co. website which was available at that time.
    2. No idea, sorry.

If you (or anybody else for that matter) thinks it needs updating, then I think it's possible to do so:
    - create a Google account https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount
    and/or
    - create a Google maps account
    - go to the map I created and click on "Save to My Maps"
    - I think you should then be able to edit the map and make it your own. It would be nice to have a small reference to my original map. :cool:

All the best,
    Garrett

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

ga2re2t wrote: »
    - M6
    - M17
    - M18
    - Galway outer ring road
    - Tuam bypass

Regards,
    Garrett

Great map. Looking at it I am again struck with incredulity as to why the M17/M18 junction with M6 os so far East, a long way from Galway. It is clear that anyone travelling to and from Galway from either Gort or Tuam is not going to do 2 sides of a triangle and go vie the Rathmorrisey junction, but instead use the old roads. Surely this junction should have been as close to Galway and Galway Airport as possible. Galway is a fast growing city and it is like they are completely ignoring its existence with this proposed route. Would it really have cost that much more and made for a much longer route to have the junction somewhere just east of the Galway Airport. I know the countryside around there reasonably well and it is all pretty flat farm land.
    I've asked this question before but no one seemed to be able to provide a satisfactory answer. I'm sure there is a good reason, I can't see it but I'd love to know what it is..

Great map. Looking at it I am again struck with incredulity as to why the M17/M18 junction with M6 os so far East, a long way from Galway. It is clear that anyone travelling to and from Galway from either Gort or Tuam is not going to do 2 sides of a triangle and go vie the Rathmorrisey junction, but instead use the old roads. Surely this junction should have been as close to Galway and Galway Airport as possible. Galway is a fast growing city and it is like they are completely ignoring its existence with this proposed route. Would it really have cost that much more and made for a much longer route to have the junction somewhere just east of the Galway Airport. I know the countryside around there reasonably well and it is all pretty flat farm land.
    I've asked this question before but no one seemed to be able to provide a satisfactory answer. I'm sure there is a good reason, I can't see it but I'd love to know what it is..

I can only guess that it's intended for North/South traffic that doesn't want to go via Galway but is far enough east to make it viable for N/M6 traffic to stay on the road before going north or south.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/itemdetail.asp?ItemID=6726&menu=d6726

Fine Gael Cllr. John Naughten has raised concerns over the re-designation of the Athlone bypass as motorway and the effect it will have on road users and development in the area.

“It is planned that the dual carriageway that acts as the Athlone bypass will become part of the new motorway when the N6 is re-designated and while the classification of the road in general as a motorway is welcome I would have concerns regarding this particular stretch,” explained Cllr. Naughten.

“If this section of road is declared a motorway it will have repercussions for learner drivers who will no longer be able to use it and also for farmers who regularly use this road with agricultural vehicles to access land on either side of the Shannon. If re-designation goes ahead at this location it will force vehicles such as tractors off the road and create hardship for a number of farmers in the area who have been using this road since the construction of the bridge.”

Good man John. Lets make it 60kph zone sure so the farmers can use it. That would be a really good Irish solution to it. A multi million euro motorway with tractors (and maybe a few cows for good measure) doddering along on it. Twat!!

• Advertisement

http://www.roscommonpeople.ie/itemdetail.asp?ItemID=6726&menu=d6726

Fine Gael Cllr. John Naughten has raised concerns over the re-designation of the Athlone bypass as motorway and the effect it will have on road users and development in the area.

One of the main reasons for redesignation was to prevent developers building more access roads onto Interurban routes.

As for the bridge itself (and only the bridge section between the Roscommon Rd & Coosan), I can see his point the alternative route is via the town centre - a pain in the arse at the best of times.

Edit: after reading an article in one of the papers; I've come to the conclusion he's more interested in getting road access to an adjacent development rather than concern for farmers & learners being inconvenienced! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

After reading an article in one of the papers; I've come to the conclusion he's more interested in getting road access to an adjacent development rather than concern for farmers & learners being inconvenienced! :mad:

Shock... horror etc.

Why are our politicians so predictable? :rolleyes:

That road will soon be a nice blue line on the map, so he better get over it... would he rather we had a 'cumberland gap' of sorts? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Comments like the Councillor in question above are *precisely* the reason why I love the NRA for pressing ahead with motorway redesignation(well that and the associated speed limit increases of course:D).

E92 wrote: »
    Comments like the Councillor in question above are *precisely* the reason why I love the NRA for pressing ahead with motorway redesignation(well that and the associated speed limit increases of course:D).

Yep.

The councillor is simply advocating having a completely unnecessary gap in the motorway network just to accomodate more inappropiate developments. The Athlone bypass is already ludicrously over-junctioned (6 junctions in 7km - way too much by normal motorway standards). Why double the problem with silly development? (Meath County Council want to do the same with the M3).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

It's a pity no effort is gonna be made to straighten out the Athlon bypass abit though. Of all the dual carriageway/motorway from Heuston station to Galway it's definitely my least favourite part to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

Drive through athlone town the next time your passing it. i hadn't been in it for years and decided to go through it one night for a change, i'd say it was like moate and balinasloe all wrapped up in one traffic jam

embrace the by pass

dubhthach wrote: »
    It's a pity no effort is gonna be made to straighten out the Athlon bypass abit though. Of all the dual carriageway/motorway from Heuston station to Galway it's definitely my least favourite part to drive.

They'll leave it like that to remind you to stay alert on a drive from Galway to Dublin it will be the only bit that you have to be awake for... :D
    The UK M6 does the same at Birmingham, many a sleepy driver gets a wakeup call at J6 (spaghetti junction).

The problem is that there is really no where for it to go, it loops around the town and has been built up on both sides along large sections of the carriageway. The only realistic way to straighten it out would have been to completely replace it with a southern route following a line south of Moate to Moore (west of Ballinasloe).

Drive through athlone town the next time your passing it. i hadn't been in it for years and decided to go through it one night for a change, i'd say it was like moate and balinasloe all wrapped up in one traffic jam

embrace the by pass

You masochist! (that bypass was the best thing that ever happened to Athlone)

You masochist! (that bypass was the best thing that ever happened to Athlone)

hadn't been in the town in years , nor will i again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I hate when this happens with threads..

Someone says something stupid and then everyone stops posting.

Anyhoo, does anyone know when the Monksland new exit is due to open

• Advertisement

or maybe theres been nothing to post about since

veryangryman...

You're a very angry man... :D (Aren't I gas?)

And the Monksland new exit is most likely due open when the rest of the scheme opens late next year.

I went past it earlier in the week, still a lot to do but progressing well.
    What really worries me is how do they intend to complete the roundabout at Drum, the road there appears to be too narrow to take two lanes of traffic!

As noted earlier there is not much in the way of new news at the moment!

They really pulled out the stops on this one...

The Tuam road exit is now fully open!

They really pulled out the stops on this one...

The Tuam road exit is now fully open!

I'm unfamiliar with this part of the M6 scheme, could you just tell me a bit more about this. Like, where is the exit? What's the number etc.

Thanks. :cool:

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I'm unfamiliar with this part of the M6 scheme, could you just tell me a bit more about this. Like, where is the exit? What's the number etc.

Thanks. :cool:

This is J13 (J1 on the old numbering scheme) at the western end of the Athlone bypass, the point where the new motorway connects to the existing highway.

This is J13 (J1 on the old numbering scheme) at the western end of the Athlone bypass, the point where the new motorway connects to the existing highway.

So what have they changed on that junction?

BluntGuy wrote: »
    So what have they changed on that junction?
    Going west, the LILO has been moved about 100 metres east and a roundabout built on the Tuam road.

The eastbound LILO hasn't been started yet, but this part of the junction will need completely rebuilding as the N/M6 will change direction (& grade). West of the Tuam Rd underbridge, It currently goes up and to the south, this will change and the road will go down and north.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Current layout at Monksland.
    Current%20Layout.JPG

New layout.
    New%20Layout.JPG

• Advertisement

I've looked at that map a few times, but still a bit confused as to what the bit of old N6 between the roundabout and the Railway line is for?

It appears to stop at the bridge :confused:

PS where did you get the aerial photo from?

Advertisement