Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have a Qbox

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Apogee

R Alessi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 HDTVIRL

Ricardo, I beleieve he says more than his Prayers if you know what I mean.

Regardsing the third slot I believe the connector is common in a few receivers.

I hear they are going to have a DVB-T2 decoder soon but it will be an add on.

You might know if RTENL ever have any plans to support T2 I have read their receiver documents and I can see no mention of T2. The UK standard is going to be T2 !!! they will be transmitting from London supporting T2 . So does that mean we in fact will be lagging behind even before the 'DSO'

regards

hdtvirl

I take it all back about Duolabs, I sent them an email yesterday about their HD issues and this morning I got a reply not just from anybody but one of the guys doing the Software development and he informed me they will have a new release this week or next week with the fix.

Not only that I thanks him for his reply and he then went on to give me his own email address and said if I had any issue here in Ireland they would be glad to hear from me, I am going to pass on the Irish DTT details to them and have them included in the setup.

Anyway we will see how it goes, I have ordered the box but the wireless module are still not avaialable so I will use a Lynksys Wireless Bridge while I wait for it. I should have it Friday or Monday depending on the Courier.

I will keep you informed.

hdtvirl

Got the QBOX-HD on Monday when I turn on the Tuner the TFT panel and the sense Wheel on the front were not working but I was still able to access the menu trough the Remote and the TV. I tried to do a scan with just Astra 2 28.2 and one TP 10729 , I plugged the Tuner into my exisitng dish pointing at Astra 2 but was unable to receive anything I tried everything even changed the LNB on the dish but to no avail.

To their Credit both Duolabs and Hisat Ltd gave me great support.
    I sent some emails last night but with GMAIL down Hisat only got my mail at Lunch Hour, but Duolabs responded this morning. Duolabs asked me to open the unit and re-seat the tuners and also check a daughter board to check a particular component, I did all of this plugged it back in to the Laptop and the dish, turned on everything and Hey Presto both the TFT Panel and the SenseWheel came to life, tuned in all the TP's I wanted on Astra 2 no problem fast scanning. I did not attempts to setup the DTT tuner yet. I have alot to learn just about the receiver and its capabilities.

I am please with my purchase, the Picture on BBC-HD and the SD stuff looks spectacular on the Sony.

If anybody out there is interested I can continue to write up on this STB and post some images, let me know. I would also be interested in hearing from anybody else who might have one. I have sent Duolabs the Technical Stuff for the Irish DTT transmitters and they are going to include the setups for these transmitter in their setup Menu in a future releases.

Regards
    hdtvirl

I have plenty of questions!!

1. Will it display the Irish DTT channels?
    2. Is the EPG for the DTT channels OK?
    3. Can you watch one of the Irish DTT channels while recording another? They are on the same mux.
    4. Can you watch a satellite channel while recording a DTT channel?
    5. Can you record one satellite channel while watching another sat channel on the same transponder?
    6. Can you simultaneously record 2 DTT channels on the same mux or record 2 satellite channels on the same transponder?
    7. How well does the CrossEPG plugin work in terms of pulling EPG info from Sky's OpenTV streams?
    8. Will the CrossEPG plugin work in conjunction with the DVB-SI EPG on DTT, so that the Irish DTT channels and the UK satellite channels all appear on the one EPG grid?
    9. Can it display 4:2:2 transmissions?
    10. Do the tuners support blindsearch?
    11. What does it cost?
    12. How stable is it?

That's probably enough for now :D

• Advertisement

You sure do !!!.

I can answer a few questions for you just now.

The Box cost €540.00 inc UK V.A.T @ 15% delivered Ireland.

From playing with it last night it seems stable enough when watching TV, I watched BBC-HD C4,E4. THe remote takes a little getting use to and I spent most of the time orgainising the Stations into a list we are used to. It records onto an external Sata HD I am investigating putting in a 2.5" Sata Internally and seeing if it will supply the correct power requirments to run it internally. In saying this I have not been able to record anything yet.

I have not trried to receive the DTT channels form RTENL I have a direct line of sight to Three Rock, My sony picks up these with no problem and I am sure this will be the same.

I have very little expericence with Linux Receivers so I am on a bit of a learning curve, we are not on cable so our receivers have always been commercial boxes from Lidl to Maplins so I have had no opportunity to play around with the internals. With regards to some of the more Technical questions regarding 4:2:2 reception and am not to sure what this really means in terms of receiving. What is broadcast in 4:2:2 at present.
    I think it does support Blind Search as I let it start one the other night and it took some amount of time to finish but discovered no services as I still had the tuner problem as described.

As I have only just got the box up and going, I have not connected into the Linux side of things yet and this is on the cards for tonight setting up the IP and other Network setting was easy and when it did its own testing everything worked I have enables the WEb Interface PLug in, I have a day time job at present and I was whacked after the day I put in yesterday so bed beckoned and the STB was switched off for now.

I will let you know further info as I discover it.

hdtvirl

@HDTVIRL - any progess with DVB-T channels?

Hello Apogee, I managed to find a xml file with the Irish DTT frequencies, I installed it yesterday and did some scanning last night, it found the 9 serveice 4 TV 4 Radio and the RTENL Test card in Name only, I was unable to watch anything as it did not save the MUX info anywhere on the box, I have sent the log file to Duolabs and they are looking into it. Also have a prolem with ITV-HD and locking it into the XML file also. I have manipulated it by hand putting in the ID's but it still does not work they are looking into this also.

I have the crossEPG running on the box but at present I am only getting the EPG for 19.2E and Hotbird as I said there is a bit of a learing curve for me here. Any issues I have had, have mostly been down to me and my lack of understanding but I am learning. I have to say I am impressed with the Picture on bot SD and HD, we had family over for lunch on Sunday and my brother in Law and myself watched the F1 GP on BBC1 and he was really impressed with the quality of the picture. This box is a work in progress from Duolabs and I have not even ventured down CCCAM road as yet or anything like that.

I want to get the DTT up and running as I want to use the PVR to record. I have been recording onto an external eSata drive in SD and the picture is excellent had mixed result with the HD but duolabs are working on this. They hope to have the internal Diablo working with the next FW release. You can get all the manuals and tutorials on qboxhd.com in the download section and also at the Enigma 2 Source if you are inclined that way. The Italian and the Germans are the most active in this area and as soon a Duolabs release a new FW they have some enhancement to the Plug-ins.

I see from this site there are a number of AZBOX Premium users I think this is based on the same processor as the QBOXHD and I am sure there are alot of things going on for this box that might work on the QBOXHD also.

I am going to give it a rest tonight as I have spent the day sorting out somebody elses coding mess and I am FED UP with computers.

I will keep you posted on my journey.

hdtvirl.

HDTVIRL wrote: »
    Hello Apogee, I managed to find a xml file with the Irish DTT frequencies, I installed it yesterday and did some scanning last night, it found the 9 serveice 4 TV 4 Radio and the RTENL Test card in Name only, I was unable to watch anything as it did not save the MUX info anywhere on the box, I have sent the log file to Duolabs and they are looking into it. Also have a prolem with ITV-HD and locking it into the XML file also. I have manipulated it by hand putting in the ID's but it still does not work they are looking into this also.

I'd hazard a guess that the problem here is similar to the problem that was in the DM8000 until it was fixed. The receiver sees the "advanced codec flag" on the TV channels, and not knowing what to do with them, treats them as data channels. As the QboxHD is Enigma 2 based like the DM, you possibly could use Dreamboxedit to edit the channels manually?

Stored initially as data files:
    3641151008_44ea39484a_o.jpg

Manually set the Service Type to 1, save the channel list, ftp it to the QboxHD and reboot.
    3641152408_ed6dffb246_o.jpg

Original thread here.
    I see from this site there are a number of AZBOX Premium users I think this is based on the same processor as the QBOXHD and I am sure there are alot of things going on for this box that might work on the QBOXHD also.

I think they use different chipsets? QBoxHD = Chipset STi7101 and Azbox = Sigma SMP 8634

Apogee, thanks for your advise, I tried it late last night and I now have the eight TV and Radio Services. You were right it was asving them as something other than TV services. The radio services were OK but I had to change the TV service type. I think the ITV-HD reception can be resolved also.

I am sure there will be a new FW Update from Duolabs today, usually one a week. The Dreamedit tool it will make it easier to reinstate the Channels.

I will have a play with the EPG later and get back to you later, once again thanks for your valuable help.

regards

hdtvirl.

• Advertisement

HDTVIRL wrote: »
    I think the ITV-HD reception can be resolved also.

ITVHD can be got using a similar procedure.
    Then manually scanned transponder 11426 H 27500 2/3. I then used DreamBox Edit to download and edit the settings. Go into 28E and edit service 10510, the settings at the top are manadory and greyed out, these are the fields I edited:-

Service Name: ITV HD
    Package: BSkyB
    Service Type: 1
    Number: 6891
    PID Video: 3401
    PID PCR: 3401
    Delays PCM: 3402
    Extra Parameters: c:050001,f:5

Saved and downloaded the file to the box and it worked!

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/809391-post13.html

Apogee, once again thanks for the input, I previously had a PassionHD (This is a great box for Plug N Go). I had previously setup the PassionHD using these settings. I am sure I will get it working today. I was more intereset in getting the DTT working.

I will keep you advised, the updates for the box are coming mainly from Italy and Germany no updates this week !!!.

Any update on this? Have they sorted out the PVR yet or got proper dual tuner support?

I've had a play with one of these, so can answer my own questions:

Yes.

Yes, full 7-day EPG.

4233588649_1908f9a833_o.jpg

3. Can you watch one of the Irish DTT channels while recording another?
    No, this looks like a bug as the box appears to continue recording when you change channels, but when you play back the file, it stops half ways through.

No, dual tuner is not working.

5. Can you record one satellite channel while watching another sat channel on the same transponder?
    6. Can you simultaneously record 2 DTT channels on the same mux or record 2 satellite channels on the same transponder?

No to these as per 3 and 4.

7. How well does the CrossEPG plugin work in terms of pulling EPG info from Sky's OpenTV streams?
    This seems to work very well. Sky EPG covers a broader range of TV channels than the Freesat EPG e.g. Channel 4HD, but doesn't have radio listings.

8. Will the CrossEPG plugin work in conjunction with the DVB-SI EPG on DTT, so that the Irish DTT channels and the UK satellite channels all appear on the one EPG grid?
    Yes.

The DTT and Sat channels can be put into the same favourites bouquet, to give a full EPG grid:

4233587685_dd9347ed12_o.jpg

4233588209_d43546071d_o.jpg

9. Can it display 4:2:2 transmissions?
    Not tested.

10. Do the tuners support blindsearch?
    No, although a future tuner is "promised".

11. What does it cost?
    €400.

12. How stable is it?
    Quite stable as a HD receiver. Image quality is very good IMO. Recording of a TV channel to external HDD seems fine, both for SD and HD channels (e.g. BBCHD and ITVHD). Can also playback DIVX files.

4233586969_ac587f04e5_o.jpg

Nice feature is that the front LCD on the box can display the channel logo.
    4234361822_40ce243340_o.jpg

A decent piece of hardware, although the the dual tuner support really needs to be sorted out before it could be regarded as a full PVR.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

No, dual tuner is not working.

Hi HDTVIRL & Apogee, I've seen it reported elsewhere that the dual tuner is now working in the latest firmware for the QBoxHD - can either of you confirm/deny this please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hi HDTVIRL & Apogee, I've seen it reported elsewhere that the dual tuner is now working in the latest firmware for the QBoxHD - can either of you confirm/deny this please?

Dual tuner is still not working. You cannot record a sat channel while watching a terrestrial channel.

One small improvement has been made, in that you can record a terrestrial (or satellite) channel on one mux while watching a different channel on the same mux. However, you still can't record 2 channels on the same mux.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Apogee wrote: »
    Dual tuner is still not working. You cannot record a sat channel while watching a terrestrial channel.

One small improvement has been made, in that you can record a terrestrial (or satellite) channel on one mux while watching a different channel on the same mux. However, you still can't record 2 channels on the same mux.
    STB wrote: »

Thanks guys... I'll keep an eye on the progress of the HD mini

The firmware for the QBoxHD has been rewritten after considerable delay. The most important change has been the upgrade to dual recording, as well as the usual silly sh*te like youtube plugins etc.

Yes, including the HD transmission. Recording and playback of HD is fine too.

Yes, EPG grid improved.

3. Can you watch one of the Irish DTT channels while recording another? They are on the same mux.
    Yes. Now fixed.

Yes. And you can record HD on both with no performance issues e.g. BBCHD on sat and RTENL HD.

Yes. Fixed.

Strangely no. It's hard to see why this hasn't been fixed. Sloppy firmware.

I'd still be slow to recommend this receiver at the price. It is not the finished product.

Advertisement