Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An absolute disgrace (flooding on our new roads)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Mailman wrote: »
    Agreed. There is a lot of lower ground to the right of that picture that the flooding should have drained away in to but for some reason didn't.

I blame poor drainage.

except that its higher ground on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

They forgot to take account of gravity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

...but the Tolka is beyond that mound (which I believe was actually built to prevent water getting from the river to the road!) and clearly the drains from the road, under that mound, to the river....are blocked and/or insufficient for the task. Nobody can say the rain is belting out of the sky in that pic and the heavy rain stopped many hours ago, but the drains are still preventing that water from getting off the N3. It's a joke.

stiktoir wrote: »
    A little bit of rain never hurt anybody. If yiz were'nt so soft yiz'd leave your cars and do a bit of walking. That's what legs are for.

Do you have a set of waders by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Another shot of the N3 showing attempts to take away the water.

20080810_0013.jpg

• Advertisement

Motorists on the M50 had a lucky escape last night as the roadworks were advanced enough to allow the unfinished section to be used, but not so advanced to prevent crossing over the central reservation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stiktoir

Do you have a set of waders by any chance?
    :)
    I'm ready to get in there without waders.........

You Oirish are so lacking in confidance, the minute anything goes wrong yiz are running around like headless ducks quacking: 'everybody is to blame, we are useless, we can't do anything.....'
    unlike other countries where nothing goes wrong......

If this is all you have to worry about then it's definitely time for a world economic crash. Get back to the real world.....

On the other hand........sack nature and get another God. One who can provide nice weather so yiz can get back to your dreary lives (of spoofing) without wetting your tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You Oirish are so lacking in confidance, the minute anything goes wrong yiz are running around like headless ducks quacking: 'everybody is to blame, we are useless, we can't do anything.....'

If this is all you have to worry about then it's definitely time for a world economic crash. Get back to the real world.....

On the other hand........sack nature and get another God. One who can provide nice weather so yiz can get back to your dreary lives (of spoofing) without wetting your tyres.
    Do you have anything relevant to say in any thread you post in? I've just looked at all your posts and you just call everyone else a spoofer in them. Pretty useless 'contribution' to the forum tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

no the ground to the right is lower but there is an embankment there preventing water from flowing away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Motorists on the M50 had a lucky escape last night as the roadworks were advanced enough to allow the unfinished section to be used, but not so advanced to prevent crossing over the central reservation.

I was stuck in in heading for the airport. It took me 2 hours to get from the blanch exit to the finglas exit. Even then, I was concerned the Ford Focus might pack up driving through the 18 inch water in the central reservation. Thankfully, I wasnt driving the wifes Daewoo Lanos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Have you ever heard the english when things go wrong? Late trains because of frost and they give out more than we have been here. Bit of snow and things shut down. TBH we seem to be able to cope better with snow than they usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

I would say that flooding is to be expected on a good number of standard roads with that type of "exceptional" weather. I imagine the cost of fitting adequate systems to cope with this sort of rain to every road country would be prohibitive never mind trying to maintain them.... However major artery routes such as the N3 and M50 should have storm drain capacity designed, implemented and maintained to cope with just such events of "exceptional" weather.

Also for the record the last bout of extreme flooding around Dublin was November 2002 I think.... I know,it cost me an engine in a 6 month old GT red I.

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bauderline wrote: »
    However major artery routes such as the N3 and M50 should have storm drain capacity designed, implemented and maintained to cope with just such events of "exceptional" weather.

I think the drains exist but if you look down a drain anywhere around where you see roadworks you will notice that the drains are often full of gravel .

Therefore I suspect maintenance issues caused by construction related debris .....specifically gravel . The councils typically clean them out a lot in october / november when falling leaves clog them further .

All major Irish roads cope with a lot of rain and even if they do flood in extremis they should have drained off by now , 12 hours + later , unless those drains are clogged .

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I think the drains exist but if you look down a drain anywhere around where you see roadworks you will notice that the drains are often full of gravel .

Therefore I suspect maintenance issues caused by construction related debris .....specifically gravel . The councils typically clean them out a lot in october / november when falling leaves clog them further .

All major Irish roads cope with a lot of rain and even if they do flood in extremis they should have drained off by now , 12 hours + later , unless those drains are clogged .

If roadworks on major roads are causing the drains to be blocked then the drains should be checked regularly and cleared if required. The M50 is likely the busiest and one of the most important roads in the country. It SHOULD NOT FLOOD. PERIOD !

As for the N3 to see that it is still flooded this morning some considerable time after the event is an utter disgrace. This a MAJOR road no ifs, ands, or buts... The same road has flooded at least twice in recent years, think Nov 02 again. The issue must be investigated and resolved without argument...

The collective band of climate experts tell us that Ireland will get warmer but much wetter... given the weather conditions during the last six years I would say that they are not too wide of mark.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

random wrote: »
    The whole area around the toll plaza is fux0red too !!

Fyi Recently they put GAA pitches on the known flood plain to the west of the plaza with no additional drainage specified by the planners. The extra runoff ruined some houses in Strawberry Beds. Some additional drainage was put into the pitches but not enough - of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

heres some more pics of the flood i took around blanch and n3 this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

note how dirty the water is in the 3rd and last image,by the looks of it theres no drainage at all and the waters just left to build up like a swamp!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭bazzer

What a ****ty little country we live in sometimes. You'd think we'd be used to the rain. So when we get a bit more than normal, large swathes of the city road network resemble swamps.

Why don't heads roll over this fiasco? Oh yes, I forgot - because this is a ****ty little country we live in sometimes. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

We had a once in 50yr rain yesterday, no country no matter how ****ty can prepare for that. It happens in UK, France, Germany, USA, etc......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 stiktoir

amacachi wrote: »
    Have you ever heard the english when things go wrong? Late trains because of frost and they give out more than we have been here. Bit of snow and things shut down. TBH we seem to be able to cope better with snow than they usually do.

Exactly. If the Brits think it's the end of the world then that proves it. It is:
    'Corporal Jones!'
    'Yes Captain Mainwaring'
    'Tell the men to panic'

"We're dooomed, doomed' (pvt Fraser-Murphhhhaaaphhhhhh)

• Advertisement

It is:
    'Corporal Jones!'
    'Yes Captain Mainwaring'

What on earth has this spoofing of yours to do with roads flooding ???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,979 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ongarite wrote: »
    We had a once in 50yr rain yesterday, no country no matter how ****ty can prepare for that. It happens in UK, France, Germany, USA, etc......

Didn't it happen 22 years ago?

South of the river and in Wicklow that time. :cool:

I take it you mean Hurricane Charley ( sic) , thankfully yesterdays cloudburst had the decency to visits the northside instead :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Exactly. If the Brits think it's the end of the world then that proves it. It is:
    'Corporal Jones!'
    'Yes Captain Mainwaring'
    'Tell the men to panic'

"We're dooomed, doomed' (pvt Fraser-Murphhhhaaaphhhhhh)

You said we irish whinge a lot, and I pointed out that other countries are the same, so I was wondering who we whinge a lot in comparison to.

That might be true, but statistically it would still be a once in 50 years. It's been a while since I was in this profession, but I iirc highway engineers would design for once in 20 or 25 years events.

THE N3 FLOODED IN 2002 and AGAIN IN 2003 !!!

I don't care about how much rain fell yesterday. What does interest me is the fact that enough rain has fallen several times in the last 6 years to cause widespread flooding in Dublin.

tricky D wrote: »
    That might be true, but statistically it would still be a once in 50 years. It's been a while since I was in this profession, but I iirc highway engineers would design for once in 20 or 25 years events.

The " Mount Merrion Thunderstorm " of 1963 also had the decency to stay south of the Liffey and was for many years considered to be the record daily rainfall event in all of Ireland , 180mm in a day, 80mm of that in one hour.

I would tend agree with tricky that yesterdays floods possibly were a 1 in 50 year event on the Northside, maybe a 1 in 25 year event on the Southside though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Glyni

How can you say the flood was a once in 50yr occurance. It is only 6 years since the tolka burst its banks and caused chaos. Houses were ruined in Drumcondra because the drainage could not cope with the water. The residents tried to clear them themselves but all the drains were blocked with leaves. The drains would not have stopped the river rising but they would have minimised the damage. The fact here is we have not learned anything from the events of the past.

Glyni wrote: »
    How can you say the flood was a once in 50yr occurance. It is only 6 years since the tolka burst its banks and caused chaos. Houses were ruined in Drumcondra because the drainage could not cope with the water. The residents tried to clear them themselves but all the drains were blocked with leaves. The drains would not have stopped the river rising but they would have minimised the damage. The fact here is we have not learned anything from the events of the past.

It's the rainfall which statistically is a once in 50 year event not the flooding. You touch on an important issue though, which is that local conditions and other variables not so directly related to the weather can exacerbate flooding. And yes, the authorities aren't the best at learning from past events as demonstrated by their rezoning of flood plains, lack of drain maintenance and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

As if it wasn't bad enough that things are never organised well enough in this country (contingency for floods in this case, and response when it does occur), you have to endure all the eejits who give out to you if you so much as suggest things are shoddily done here.

The fact of the rain being a freakishly huge amount yesterday is irrelevant. The flooding began well at the start of the downpour. Also even if the flooding was unavoidable (which it probably was - many locations would have eventually have flooded even with better drainage), the response to it was certainly absolutely pathetic and laughable. People seem not to realise just how important it is to keep major arteries open - we seem to be stuck in an 80s mentality of times when it didn't matter so much and sure we just had to put the feet up while it was all fixed. Time is now, more than ever, money. It's pathetic that is has taken to near the end of the 2000s to fit permanent VMS signs around the place for one thing!

Advertisement