Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what channel are you watching the Olympics on?

Options
  • 09-08-2008 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭

so its getting a bit annoying...

rte with there adds

bbc and there British team

watched the opening on eurosport and the commentary wasent the best.. so im sort of flicking through the 3 of them..

what channel are you watching it off?

what channel are you watching the Olympics on? 74 votes

RTE
    0%
    BBC
    39%
    tony 2 toneStarksuper_furryChinafootElmoJilmeirebhoySeiferdeciesYeatsCountyKnifeWRENCHcopaceticgustavokillbillvol2dulpitAquitainemurpho999Toto WolfcastlePigletloverHarpy 29 votes
    Eurosport
    43%
    LudomedjaCivilServantAmzefbEglintonrobocosgrove80RovikawaiiFirewalkwithmeTristramDaemonicmickdanotherlostie[Deleted User]*Tripper*OPENROADshockwaveArthur Daley 32 votes
    Internet
    8%
    twandaJBoyle4evaafatbollixFruitironnie3585Malari 6 votes
    BBC HD
    6%
    Mossy MonkPonsterAuversPride FighterJP Liz 5 votes
    Eurosport HD
    2%
    Our man in Havanaswalsh 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Internet
    Choosing Eurosport for the HD.....and commentary isn't that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

BBC HD
    BBC website. Work has internet that thinks we are in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Internet
    Mostly watching it on Eurosport. Tuned in to watch the boxing on RTE this morning. Had to switch it off as I could not force myself to watch Bernard Dunne, the guy can hardly string a sentence together - "dis goy has a great chance it tings wurk out fer him" WTF!. When looking for a pundit I presume that towards the top of the list would be a basic command of the English language?

I then turned over to BBC to watch some of the gymnastics. Didn't stay long there either. It seems to be the same old gingoistic retoric that we hear time and time again from English commentators. This isn't an anti-English sentiment - I will be routing for the Brits when it comes to the athletics, rowing and cycling (as Ireland has no chance!) but there is just something horribly vitriolic about English commentators when they are talking commentating on their own. I was similarly disgusted with their coverage of Andy Murray in Wimbeldon. It's great to get excited about a national competitor however the Brits tend to spin themselves into hysterics. Another reason why I turned off the BBC was because of the gordie guy who used to present Blue Peter many years ago. He is just impossible to listen to. He doesn't have much technical knowledge so he continuously states the obvious and repeats what the expert is saying but in a jazzier tone.

Eurosport appear to be providing the most balanced and comprehensive coverage. I think I will stick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

lol at the bbc, the gymnastics team event finished, cut back to studio "that was a fantastic event,the level of gymnastics was astonishing....... clearly the stand out performance was Johnny english who was amazing,brilliant and just an all round nice guy .

eh.... didnt he round out the top 24 because each country is only allowed 2 competitors so the 15 chinese lads in front of him dont get to compete tomorrow not because they arent good enough but rather because there are two guys better than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its all on at night though, rte starts at 3 bbc at 2...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Womens soccer on the USA network, China V Canada. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mainly rte and eurosport, will probably watch some on the net as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Eurosport
    Obviously there is RTE, BBC and Eurosport on sky, but what foriegn channels also on sky are covering the olympics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

BBC HD
    I don't think any are as they wouldn't have the rights.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Looks good on BBC HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Currently watching it on RTE and BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bottleopener

BBC
    A mixture of RTE and BBC. Depends on what each channel is showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Eurosport
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I then turned over to BBC to watch some of the gymnastics. Didn't stay long there either. It seems to be the same old gingoistic retoric that we hear time and time again from English commentators. This isn't an anti-English sentiment - I will be routing for the Brits when it comes to the athletics, rowing and cycling (as Ireland has no chance!) but there is just something horribly vitriolic about English commentators when they are talking commentating on their own. I was similarly disgusted with their coverage of Andy Murray in Wimbeldon. It's great to get excited about a national competitor however the Brits tend to spin themselves into hysterics..

Have to say I disagree. and sorry but this kind of comment really bugs me, rte and the irish media are the EXACT same and why shouldn't they when it comes to Irish competitors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

nah british are most jingoistic ever, its their thing

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Mixture of RTE, BBC and Eurosport, depending on what sport is on and how much interest I have in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Tim McCarthy commentating on the Basketball on RTE FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Eurosport
    nah british are most jingoistic ever, its their thing

rte just the same when it comes to sports coverge involving irish teams/competitors no difference that i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

BBC
    newbie2 wrote: »

Is he? I never knew!

I have to watch it on RTE as we don't have the other channels. (I know!) Some of the commentary really annoys me because some of them only have a basic knowledge of some of the sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone BS-ing about the BBC commentry should recall Jim Sherwins commentary of drug cheat Michelle Smiths "performances" at Atlanta.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Mostly watching it on Eurosport. Tuned in to watch the boxing on RTE this morning. Had to switch it off as I could not force myself to watch Bernard Dunne, the guy can hardly string a sentence together - "dis goy has a great chance it tings wurk out fer him" WTF!. When looking for a pundit I presume that towards the top of the list would be a basic command of the English language?

I then turned over to BBC to watch some of the gymnastics. Didn't stay long there either. It seems to be the same old gingoistic retoric that we hear time and time again from English commentators. This isn't an anti-English sentiment - I will be routing for the Brits when it comes to the athletics, rowing and cycling (as Ireland has no chance!) but there is just something horribly vitriolic about English commentators when they are talking commentating on their own. I was similarly disgusted with their coverage of Andy Murray in Wimbeldon. It's great to get excited about a national competitor however the Brits tend to spin themselves into hysterics. Another reason why I turned off the BBC was because of the gordie guy who used to present Blue Peter many years ago. He is just impossible to listen to. He doesn't have much technical knowledge so he continuously states the obvious and repeats what the expert is saying but in a jazzier tone.

Eurosport appear to be providing the most balanced and comprehensive coverage. I think I will stick with them.

as regards your mimicking of how bernard dunne speaks , do you expect a boxer to sound like hes from foxrock , if thats what you want to hear, concentrate on the swimming and gary o toole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

as regards your mimicking of how bernard dunne speaks , do you expect a boxer to sound like hes from foxrock , if thats what you want to hear, concentrate on the swimming and gary o toole

Its nothing to do with his accent or what suburb he is from.
    He seems a nice bloke, but he is inarticulate and incapable of getting a valid point across. A bad choice by RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

Eurosport
    Choose BBC but only because they have interactive I can choose what sport I watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Eurosport HD
    Options added for HD viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

McCarthy commentating did my head in. Anyone notice how he sounds exactly like Fr. Jack when he says "Ohhh Yeeeass". Hopeless NBA worshipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I found a good website that has all the online live feeds from other countries around Europe for the Olympics.

I will post it later when i get home.

Here is the web link

Only works in IE

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/olympics/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

Eurosport HD as I can sky+ it since they have actual EPG info for what's happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

RTE and BBC depending whats on, ad breaks, etc.

Stuck in work today, a bit of live feed from RTE (shockingly it worked okay) and BBC website for overall updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Eurosport HD
    looks brilliant on bbc hd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone BS-ing about the BBC commentry should recall Jim Sherwins commentary of drug cheat Michelle Smiths "performances" at Atlanta.

Mike.

:rolleyes:

I'm sorry, did you prove her Atlanta 'perfomances' were drug-induced? Because I know no one else did, and those three medals still stand, so unless you have proof to back up your comments it might be an idea to keep your accusations off this public forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

newbie2 wrote: »

He gets a bit excited.:D

Advertisement