Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about MPEG4 reception, TV/STB/CAM availability here

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

the v4000 has a sticker saying freeview tnt etc as normal for mpeg2 but also says boxer - is this the irish boxer they are refering to?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

the v4000 has a sticker saying freeview tnt etc as normal for mpeg2 but also says boxer - is this the irish boxer they are refering to?

Sweden.
    Boxer Ireland, no contracts signed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The Cush wrote: »
    Sweden.
    Boxer Ireland, no contracts signed yet.

Thanks Cush.

Was in Sony shop in the Square today and the guy insisted that the w4000 and "any other Sony TV's" did not have an mpeg4 tuner, only an mpeg2 one. Told him I heard the W series did but he was confident he was right.

STB wrote: »

I've seen those over in France - as far as I know to get it at €60 you have to subscribe to a minimum of 12 months paytv. It's a HD box and the ordinary price is way higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

Was in Sony shop in the Square today and the guy insisted that the w4000 and "any other Sony TV's" did not have an mpeg4 tuner, only an mpeg2 one. Told him I heard the W series did but he was confident he was right.

It looks like the blokes from the sony shops are not able to read and understand the tech specs from the owner manual. W3000, w4000 and w4500 have an mpeg4 decoder on board.
    Btw the tuner has no affiliation to mpeg decoding/decompressing. Mpeg decoding is either the job of a extra chip at the mainboard or part of the cpu design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Thanks Cush.

He's wrong. There are a few of us who post here who are happily watching Irish MPEG4 DTT on a Sony W4000. The tuner is capable of both MPEG2 and MPEG4 and the EPG also works fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

barnicles wrote: »
    You stole my idea :(

:confused:
    1st post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Does anyone know of a Samsung TV LCD, 37" capable of displaying MPEG4 pictures? I have searched a lot today and can't find anything for certain, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigbob

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

bigbob wrote: »

Thats WAY too dear, though. This one seems a bit better value. It looks to be a french model as thts the only place i can find its specs. It states "TNT HD" which is mpeg4. I ssume i france, this is basically HD Freeview. Not 100% sure this will work with the DTT here but someone here should know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I had a quick spin around DID and Power City this evening. In Power City they have MPEG4 Irish DTT on all the Sony W series of sets on display. Was thinking of this 40" Sony as they don't do a 37". Thanks for replies above.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1098772/art/sony/bravia-kdl-40w4000-lcd-te.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

i presume that the sony 32v4000 does not have mpeg4.

so would this be any good to buy now, good price in Currys at the mo. but would i be future proofed?

or if im reading all this correctly, when the time comes i just buy an mpeg4 decoder box and bobs your uncle.

has anyone an idea or thought of the possible setup that would allow recording/hd etc....

eg. the uk freesat hd pvr is perfect for the uk channels but i presume there is no way of linking in the irsih channels to this system either now or in the future when they become digital (as mpeg4 here...)

so will have 2 boxes, possibly a uk freesat hd pvr and an mpeg4 decoder hd pvr (maybe Boxer box)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

i presume that the sony 32v4000 does not have mpeg4.

so would this be any good to buy now, good price in Currys at the mo. but would i be future proofed?

or if im reading all this correctly, when the time comes i just buy an mpeg4 decoder box and bobs your uncle.

has anyone an idea or thought of the possible setup that would allow recording/hd etc....

eg. the uk freesat hd pvr is perfect for the uk channels but i presume there is no way of linking in the irsih channels to this system either now or in the future when they become digital (as mpeg4 here...)

so will have 2 boxes, possibly a uk freesat hd pvr and an mpeg4 decoder hd pvr (maybe Boxer box)

The 32v4000 definitely does'nt have mpeg4 built in, unfortunately. A basic DTT box should'nt cost that much next year, though.

There should be a slot for a cam at the back of that TV though?
    These will be tiny and fit on to the back of the Telly.
    It's likely boxer if it ever gets up and running (2009 is unlikely in my opinion especially now) will supply a cam and card for most mpeg2 tv's as there will be a lot of them around.

The cam fitting onto the back of the TV will be small thin and un noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Does anyone known if the Panasonic 81 Freesat plasma has a cam slot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

John Dough wrote: »
    Does anyone known if the Panasonic 81 Freesat plasma has a cam slot ?

An idTV (larger than 12") must have 1 CAM slot by EU Directive.
    The Universal Service Directive requires that digital television sets with screen sizes greater than 30cm be fitted with at least one “open interface socket”.
    (“Directive 2002/22/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 7 March 2002 on universal service and users' rights relating to electronic communications networks and services (Universal Service Directive)” ANNEX VI)

Source: Minimum Receiver Requirements for DTT in Ireland v1.0 (page 10)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

watty wrote: »
    .... Since most iDTVs will be MPEG2 rather than MPEG4, it's likely they will offer the Neotion Cam+ Converter free as well or exclusively.

The Neotion is more than a CAM. It is a MPEG4 decoder and a real time MPEG2 encoder. It's simply not possible to real time convert MPEG4 to MPEG2 without loss in Quality.

The following was posted by user 'Dammen' on a Danish forum from an E-mail conversation with Boxer in late November 2008.

"Andreas Kløv, Boxer TV A/S skrev:

En mulig løsning på problemet er måske på vej, om end jeg ikke kan garantere dig det.
    Vi er vidende om, at virksomheden Neotion forsøger at udvikle et CA-modul der kan konvertere MPEG-4 til MPEG-2 således at de mange tv med indbyggede MPEG-2 modtagere kan benytte denne og ikke behøver at købe en ekstra modtager. Da CA-modulet ikke er færdig-udviklet, testet og på markedet, kan vi ikke kommunikere faktuelt om denne løsning.
    Hvorvidt det rent faktisk lykkedes Neotion at udvikle CA-modulet ved vi således ikke på nuværende tidspunkt.

Med venlig hilsen
    Andreas Kløv
    Boxer TV A/S"

The http://translate.google.com/translate_t DK-EN translation is: (I have (edited) a few words)

"Andreas Kløv , Boxer TV A / S wrote:

One possible solution to the problem is perhaps on the way, although I can not guarantee you that.

We are aware that the company Neotion (is) trying to develop a CA module which can convert MPEG-4 to MPEG-2 so that the many TV with built-in MPEG-2 receivers can take this and (you) do not have to buy an extra receiver. Since (the development of the) CA module is not (yet) completed finished, developed, tested and in the market, we can not communicate factual (facts) about this solution.

Whether it actually succeeded Neotion developing CA module, we can not at this time.

Sincerely,
    Andreas Kløv
    Boxer TV A / S"
    Boxer will start in parts of Jutland, Denmark from February 2009 with one MUX and 9 program-channels. 7 out of about 18 main transmitters will be used. The coverage map is shown here.
    The price per month is 184 DKK (24.5 €/md) for the 9 channels including card and administration. It includes a STB for free if you sign up for 12 months.
    From DSO November 2009 there will be 29 channels country-wide.
    Lars :)

You may get more information it you translate the pages linked to below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭dgently

Has anyone successfully used an MPEG4 cam in a DVDR/HDD recorder CI Slot - eg Pioneer DVR-560HX?

Advertisement