Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about MPEG4 reception, TV/STB/CAM availability here

Options
  • 06-08-2008 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭

You stole my idea :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭Rick_

And where might we purchase one of these ClarkeTech models?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭stanley1

Paddy C wrote: »
    And where might we purchase one of these ClarkeTech models?

www.ebay.de

There's 1 on eBay UK for £229. I have a Humax HDCI-2000 and a seperate Freeview STB, and it would be handy to have both FTA HD satellite and FTA HD DTT in the one receiver... Tempted now to sell the Humax and get the Clarke-Tech 5000....

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

Id this the same receiver?.. if so, it seems cheaper from hm-sat

http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/hdd-receiver-hdtv-clarke-tech/clarke-tech-hd-5000-combo-dvb-s-t.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

smccarrick wrote: »
    Model: Sony Bravia 32S1020 with Neotion CAM
    EPG: Only "now and next"
    Teletext: None
    Signal Strength: 88% (I averaged 60% from DCMNR trials)

Note: Momentary jitter when switching channel (0.12 second) when screen display switches from "Digital" to "HD". There was no momentary jitter on the DCMNR trial. Picture quality does appear to be far superior to the DCMNR trials- which would often freeze and pixilate.

Where are you located, or failing that, how far from your nearest transponder? (I have a Sony Bravia and am considering the Neotion CAM, no support for MPEG4 on my machine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 columt

Renshi mentioned his Panasonic HD TV model TH-42PZ81B works.
    My previous generation Panasonic TH-42PZ700E does not work - getting sound only (sigh!) from 3rock. Guess its MPEG2 only. May get a Neotion CAM if things settle down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Please post questions arising out of the reception thread to here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

i want a cheap mpeg4 stb just to have a play with dtt and see what it is like im not to worried if it goes eol before the offical role out.

so what do i need and where can i get it.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

There are no mpeg4 STBs currently available in Ireland. You're looking at importing units from France/Scandanavia/New Zealand and taking a chance that it will work.

The more expensive combined sat/terrestrial boxes like the Clarke Tech are available throughout Europe.

If you have an MPEG2 TV, you could use an MPEG4 conversion CAM like those mentioned in the reception thread. CAMs are sold in Maplin.

For me, by far the most interesting report to date is the one by renshai that his Panasonic TH-42PZ81B Freesat compatible TV is also picking up the mpeg4 terrestrials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Two quick questions about compatible receivers: I was using an EyeTV USB stick to pick up the MPEG-2 stream but now, although I can pick up the 4 TV and 4 Radio channels, I get a green screen with perfect sound for the TV channels. I assume it's because my receiver can't pick up MPEG-4? Or is something else likely to be wrong?

Secondly, there's a new version of my USB stick out which can decode H.264. Can anyone please confirm if this is the same as the MPEG-4 stream now being used by RTE? Thanks!

• Advertisement

cormacl wrote: »
    Id this the same receiver?.. if so, it seems cheaper from hm-sat

http://www.hm-sat-shop.de/hdd-receiver-hdtv-clarke-tech/clarke-tech-hd-5000-combo-dvb-s-t.html
    How good are HM Sat. Anyone bought anything from them before? What are their delivery times like? €250 is the cheapest I've seen so far... works out about £195 plus delivery.

I see when you change the language of the page from German to English the price jumps by €30... Don't think so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

i have a samsung seriers4 40" lcd will a cam work in that i have not even taken it out of the box yet get it fairly right a few months back ???
    Zaphod wrote: »

If you have an MPEG2 TV, you could use an MPEG4 conversion CAM like those mentioned in the reception thread. CAMs are sold in Maplin.

Paddy C wrote: »
    How good are HM Sat. Anyone bought anything from them before? What are their delivery times like? €250 is the cheapest I've seen so far... works out about £195 plus delivery.

I see when you change the language of the page from German to English the price jumps by €30... Don't think so!

Quite reliable.. usually a week delivery by courier if they have the stuff in stock. I wouldn't read too much into the price difference.. just add to cart from the german page and switch to English to check out. It's probably a translation error on their side.

Breezer wrote: »
    Two quick questions about compatible receivers: I was using an EyeTV USB stick to pick up the MPEG-2 stream but now, although I can pick up the 4 TV and 4 Radio channels, I get a green screen with perfect sound for the TV channels. I assume it's because my receiver can't pick up MPEG-4? Or is something else likely to be wrong?

Secondly, there's a new version of my USB stick out which can decode H.264. Can anyone please confirm if this is the same as the MPEG-4 stream now being used by RTE? Thanks!

it is the lack of MPEG-4 support thats causing the video issue.

Of the streams I've test recorded, they indicate that the video is H.264 encoded. The audio however seems to be MP3-encoded even though MPEG-4/H.264 is supposed to use AAC encoding.. this might explain why some MPEG2 hardware is decoding the audio fine.

I'm assuming that when we compare to MPEG2 streams, that MP3 now replaces MP2 for plain stereo audio and AAC replaces AC3 for multi-channel audio

So if a newer stick is claiming H.264 support, then I think you should be fine. However, unless someone in the know can correct me, I would have thought that for MPEG4 over DVB-T using dongles and PC cards etc, that there should be no need for hardware change, rather software only.

The muxing has not changed here.. this isnt DVB-S2 versus DVB-S akin to how HD sat receivers do use different tuner technology... I can for instance record the stream on my dreambox.. stream decoded from tuner and written to disk as-is.. I can play it back and hear the audio, but no video.. transfer to my PC and can play it there.

So its for this reason that I was hoping to see just software updates being required to get the H.264 video working or at least 3rd party apps being used over the manufacturers own software.

cormacl wrote: »
    it is the lack of MPEG-4 support thats causing the video issue.

Of the streams I've test recorded, they indicate that the video is H.264 encoded. The audio however seems to be MP3-encoded even though MPEG-4/H.264 is supposed to use AAC encoding.. this might explain why some MPEG2 hardware is decoding the audio fine.

I'm assuming that when we compare to MPEG2 streams, that MP3 now replaces MP2 for plain stereo audio and AAC replaces AC3 for multi-channel audio

So if a newer stick is claiming H.264 support, then I think you should be fine. However, unless someone in the know can correct me, I would have thought that for MPEG4 over DVB-T using dongles and PC cards etc, that there should be no need for hardware change, rather software only.

The muxing has not changed here.. this isnt DVB-S2 versus DVB-S akin to how HD sat receivers do use different tuner technology... I can for instance record the stream on my dreambox.. stream decoded from tuner and written to disk as-is.. I can play it back and hear the audio, but no video.. transfer to my PC and can play it there.

So its for this reason that I was hoping to see just software updates being required to get the H.264 video working or at least 3rd party apps being used over the manufacturers own software.
    Thanks very much for the info. It's possibly true that a software update would do; however, in my case I can get a brand new receiver with the updated software bundled for less than the software itself costs, so I may as well get both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

STB's that are MPEG4 MHEG5 Spec Boxes

Zintec, Draco, Olevia and maybe the Magic in N Zealand and Malaysia

Just Mpeg4 - Loads and loads see Kaon, ADB for example, but nearly all the same price.

Combo Boxes

There are several combo boxes out there that do MPEG4 terrestrial and free satelite.

They are :

Technomate TM-6900 Combo HD
    Clarketech 5000 HD Combo
    MVision HD200 Combo
    Vantage HD 7100TS Combo

The MVision and Clarketech are apparently made in the same factory, with the same spec etc.....

They vary in price between €200 and €400. The technomate is a very nice does loads of wonderful things and has PVR & media centre functionality as well. Zintec distribute them in Dublin but they may be slightly cheaper on some of the sat sites.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Breezer wrote: »

I'd say it's the same stick with a newer version of EyeTV bundled with it, one that supports H.264 video. That's one of the bad things about Macs, EyeTV is more or less the only game in town.

Karsini wrote: »
    I'd say it's the same stick with a newer version of EyeTV bundled with it, one that supports H.264 video. That's one of the bad things about Macs, EyeTV is more or less the only game in town.
    No they've been bundling EyeTV 3 with them for a while now, these are new. And sure as I said the stick plus software is cheaper than the software alone. And yeah, EyeTV is pretty much the only option, but at least it's an excellent option, often the way with Mac software. Anyway I'm dragging this off topic so I'll bow out now, thanks the info folks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A recent survey showed that apple /OS X based computers cost twice as much as Windows/Linux running HW at similar performance.

Also much Apple Gear is Foxconn. Is any made by Apple any more?

watty wrote: »
    A recent survey showed that apple /OS X based computers cost twice as much as Windows/Linux running HW at similar performance.

Also much Apple Gear is Foxconn. Is any made by Apple any more?
    Other surveys have shown differently. Lies, lies and damn statistics. Most Mac people buy it for the usability anyway, not the hardware performance. We could argue about this for days, this isn't the place.

Anyway, just wanted to confirm for anyone who happens to read this that all that was required was a software update. I'd been looking at the full price, the upgrade was cheaper than the stick, so I bought it and now everything's great again. Thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

watty wrote: »
    thats not news!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

For the Record:

My Samsung WS-32Z419D CRT Slim TV which was showing the Trial perfectly will not decode the MPEG4 signal this time even with the use of the Neotion NP4 Pocket Cam in the CI Slot.

Am getting perfect signal quality signal strength of 95% from Three Rock,which in not bad as I am in Westmeath. However nothing seems to work despite resetting and retuning several times. I still get the audio only.

So it would seem the Neotion cam is not compatibale with all MPEG2 television sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

thanks for telling us that. I was thinking of buying Neotion NP4 Pocket Cam but just to be sure i email LG support to check if the TV i have will support Neotion NP4 Pocket Cam. 3 emails later and still not a single response from LG. What is it with customer service these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Benolam

Re. your Clarke Tech 5000C. This is the Combo version yes? Can you mix terrestrial and satellite channels seamlessly in the channel list or do you have to toggle between S and T to view the channels. i.e. can you have the four Irish channels on 1 -4, and BBC1 on 5, BBC2 on 6 etc?
    Also will it pick up ITV HD, Ch 4 HD & BBC HD.
    Was the 6 day EPG on DTT only or on satellite. Any other comments welcome. I have a Vantage TS221Combo, which was/great but is MPEG2 only, so I have lodt the Irish channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

Yes this is the combo version, Clarke Tech 5000C .
    You can put any channel from any satellite or DVB-T into your own list. The channels can be moved in that list - any order is possible.

I've created my personal list by taking one of the custom favourite groups and selecting from "all channels" the ones to include. The remote control has a group button to switch between satellites, terrestrial and favourite groups.

BBC HD is fine. It has been reported that ITV HD can be made to work although not for me yet. For Ch 4 HD you need a Sky card and a CAM like Diablo. Ch4 SD FTV is working.

The 6 day EPG was on DTT but not on the Freeview channels (just now & next).
    However full EPG does work on some Astra 19 German channels.
    The EPG is handy because it enables one touch record programming of future events providing a USB drive is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fredd

Only have an MPEG2 unit so can't see vision, only getting sound but signal which was 95/100 percent during MPEG2 trials now down to 45/50 percent. Problably not worth getting MPEG4 gear until we see what the final output is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Satfinder

renshai wrote: »
    Panasonic HD TV model TH-42PZ81B is clearing the whole fta RTE tv stations and radio from Claremont Carn, sound and vision today

Could renshai (or anyone else with a PZ81) update the reception report now that RTE seem to transmitting an EPG, to let us know whether the TH-42PZ81B displays EPG data? I'm VERY curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

No EPG data via Sony Bravia W4000 Series as of yesterday evening. "No event information" was displayed on RTE 1/2/TV3/TG4. Some people seem to be getting an EPG, some are not. How come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Satfinder

Following on from my post yesterday, I now have live video on all four channels using Mediaportal (a codec configuration problem, as I suspected). Mediaportal is by no means the ideal PVR software, but are there any other receivers (TV sets, STBs or PC software) that allow you to watch one channel on a multiplex and record another? Technically it's quite straightforward (we're just picking out different bits in a bitstream) but it looks like magic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭yellabelly

Satfinder wrote: »
    Following on from my post yesterday, I now have live video on all four channels using Mediaportal (a codec configuration problem, as I suspected). Mediaportal is by no means the ideal PVR software, but are there any other receivers (TV sets, STBs or PC software) that allow you to watch one channel on a multiplex and record another? Technically it's quite straightforward (we're just picking out different bits in a bitstream) but it looks like magic.

Have you tried DVBDream? In the satellite world it allows you to open multiple different channel windows and I expect it could record one of them.

Advertisement