Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wankery way people act when they get new stuff

Options
  • 07-08-2008 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭

Im guilty of this myself, but does anyone else notice how different people act when they get new stuff - be it new clothes, new mates, new shoooes etc etc.

For about 24 hours after gaining something new/experiencing something new/meeting someone new, I have this brilliant (albeit invisible) glow about me. Its hard to explain, but it does change your behavior for a bit

Yet a while later i think to myself -"God! You get excited over stupid things".

A few examples...

New white hoodie with ample pocket room
    Moate Bypass
    Any new mobile
    Making new friends that you instantly click with

You get cocky for a short while and then move on.

Hope this suits the theme of AH. Perhaps more suited to BGRH/mid life crisis forums ha! :pac:

Your thoughts people? Positive and negative (I fear a backlash!)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

With you there OP. Not so sure i'd get excited about a by-pass :pac:
    Meeting people really gets me buzzing. And i just got a new white hoodie..no pockets though :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

The Moate bypass is one of the greatest wonders of the modern world. Second only to the Enfield bypass.
    It's not remotely wankery to get excited about it. I'm only getting over the buzz of the M50 extension myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭A_M101

Any form of minor success does that to me. Espeically if I do something unexpectedly cool and unforeseeable. Like a witty joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

togster wrote: »
    With you there OP. Not so sure i'd get excited about a by-pass :pac:

I would, its by-passing Moate FFS :D

Its like video games, sex and drinking all rolled into one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Yea I see this all the time.. Its all well and good when they keep it to themselves, its when they keep going on about it to everyone else and trying to make any conversation focus on their new whatever. Blugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A white hoodie and any mobile phone...?

Blinger...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

The feeling is caused by a chemical that retailers spray onto all new stuff
    It wears of after a few days and so you have to go and buy more new stuff to get another fix.
    It's very addictive especially to women.

Quite clever really.

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I cannot frikin' wait until I get my new MP3 player...I really get wayy to excited about stuff like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Magpie! wrote: »
    The Moate bypass is one of the greatest wonders of the modern world.

Indeed, followed closely by the Ennis bypass. Galway to Dublin in twelve minutes...I fooken floored it Finton!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Every time I get a stiffy... at my age it's a great boost, pun intended :D!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

I love getting excited about little things like that. New shoes, ipod, DVD player, anything. Why not!! They're like getting little presents for yourself and as for clicking with new friends, it's always great to meet someone you can bounce off and the coolest thing in life if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If I ever get my hands on an iphone the smell of smug off me will be Clooney-esque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I am getting an MP3 Player, a deck (I already have the other one), a gaming console, new headphones and jewellery tomorrow.

How long does that entitle me to, wanker-wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Neesa wrote: »
    I am getting an MP3 Player, a deck (I already have the other one), a gaming console, new headphones and jewellery tomorrow.

~18 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

5 days

One day for each item :D

I guess it depends. Ive been gloating about being a homeowner (in a possible wankerish way) for months, but with the economy the way it is, its just not the same as the way people used to gloat in times past

But yes, 5 days. Enjoy them my friend! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Well you can go all you want on me, up to yourself like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I did cream myself a bit when the new gimp arrived. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I think all of you might be too materialistic, if that's the right word to use.

Having new crap isn't exciting. I can't imagine myself ever getting cocky or smug about it especially considering that nobody else cares about what **** I own. :pac:

Also, what kind of monster gets excited over new clothes? D:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Up until the 5th cent Ireland was pagan.
    From then to the 20th cent it was Christian.
    From the late 20th cent onwards, it became devoutly consumerist.

Mmmm - lovely new retail smell and smug face.

"Thou shallst not be happy unless thou ownest things.
    And when thou ownest things, thou shall still not be happy.
    So thou shallst want to buy more things."
    Book of Visa 12:18

Lets all worship in the Dundrum SC temple and declare a Consumerist Republic of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I guess it depends. Ive been gloating about being a homeowner (in a possible wankerish way) for months, but with the economy the way it is, its just not the same as the way people used to gloat in times past

Ah no - now it's even more wankery. Extreme wanker points for gloating at people who can't afford a house even with the market crashing. :D
    Bought mine ~7 years ago - it's still worth more than when I bought it. So I think I get triple wankpoints for gloating over people who bought a house in phase 1 of an area and phase 2 went for 100k less :pac:

• Advertisement

Davidius wrote: »
    I think all of you might be too materialistic, if that's the right word to use.

Having new crap isn't exciting. I can't imagine myself ever getting cocky or smug about it especially considering that nobody else cares about what **** I own. :pac:

Also, what kind of monster gets excited over new clothes? D:

Clearly your friends are sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

friends
    Not sure if I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Macros42 wrote: »
    Ah no - now it's even more wankery. Extreme wanker points for gloating at people who can't afford a house even with the market crashing. :D
    Bought mine ~7 years ago - it's still worth more than when I bought it. So I think I get triple wankpoints for gloating over people who bought a house in phase 1 of an area and phase 2 went for 100k less :pac:

Cool. Thanks all for replies sofar. Didnt think this thread would take off.

This "new" thread i own now gives me the smuggish self-confidence to act all wankery for another 24 hours! :D

Somebody get the camera, I hear bukake is in this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

keane2097 wrote: »
    If I ever get my hands on an iphone the smell of smug off me will be Clooney-esque.
    I got one.. absolutely ****ng brilliant. HA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

5 days

One day for each item :D

But yes, 5 days. Enjoy them my friend! :pac:
    I've been doing that for years.
    It never gets old for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

keane2097 wrote: »
    ~18 hours

Please, I'd milk a good three days out of that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

topper75 wrote: »
    Up until the 5th cent Ireland was pagan.
    From then to the 20th cent it was Christian.
    From the late 20th cent onwards, it became devoutly consumerist.

Mmmm - lovely new retail smell and smug face.

"Thou shallst not be happy unless thou ownest things.
    And when thou ownest things, thou shall still not be happy.
    So thou shallst want to buy more things."
    Book of Visa 12:18

Lets all worship in the Dundrum SC temple and declare a Consumerist Republic of Ireland.

And, like most religions, it's built on lies and fabrications. What will ye do with the Visa Bill comes?

He who dies with the most toys, wins.
    (But he who dies with the most ties will still be dead...)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

My new PC is expected next week... I'm gonna take pictures of it and keep them in my wallet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

I'm still feeling very happy about my Gemini PS04 mixer and CDT05 turntable and I got those in February and April respectively.

Advertisement