Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

156 v Celica?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

VH wrote: »
    sorry was thinking of the 147

Same engine; dates back to the 145/146 IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭alias no.9

cjt156 wrote: »
    Same engine; dates back to the 145/146 IIRC.

There was a detuned 105bhp 1.6 in the 147 available in the UK as well as the 120bhp version. I don't think it was ever sold new here but there may well be some used imports around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ChazMichael

Hey, I noticed this topic was a bit one sided in that mainly the Alfa's were being discussed, so i thought i'd offer some positive feedback about the Celica.

I owned a 01 140BHP Celica for 4 years, and was delighted with it. I sold it six weeks ago and miss it terrible. (Reason was i wanted to move up in year).
    The Celica has excellent reliability and build quality is great. It has a decent amount of poke, high revving engine, nice exhaust rasp and is fun to drive. The six speed gearbox works well with the engine and fuel efficieny is quite good.

Ok, the boot isn't huge but is has split folding rear seats and the boot door is large. (I figured out a way of getting my mountain bike into it with out taking off the front wheel! Da da!)

I'd definitely recommend this car. It's a shame Toyota have dis-continued the Celica. (Not to mention the Supra and MR-2).

There are a few things to look out for when buying. Rather than go into them I'd recommend you look at the Celica Club UK website for tips and ideas.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Wow complete shock!
    The 156 sportswagon is the only estate i would spend money on! Lovely looking car, pity about reliabilty issues and build quality.

No person can give you any more info then alias has, so to say im sitting on the fence with this one is an understatement!

Id love to own both, think they both look good, but with me i would say id get the celica, just for relability!

If i had two cars or something, id get myself an alfa, for the fun side of life!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gpf101 wrote: »
    YAWN....same old same old.

Huh? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Huh? :confused:

I think he was saying that you were spouting the same old uninformed, biased, inaccurate and generally useless crap that threads about Alfa Romeo tend to generate. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

eoin_s wrote: »
    I could be wrong though.

LOL, funny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

alias no.9 wrote: »
    There was a detuned 105bhp 1.6 in the 147 available in the UK as well as the 120bhp version. I don't think it was ever sold new here but there may well be some used imports around the place.
    it wasnt detuned as such - it didnt have the variator and so didnt have variable valve timing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I realise this is a deisel and over budget, but might be of interest.

Sweeney Fort often have sportswagons in stock...

http://www.sweeneyfortemotors.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1081599

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Nightshiftguy

OK Jumping in on this one..

Probably being said loads....

Well i have owned both and i got rid of the celica and kept the alfa. I have doe over 80k miles in the last 2 and a half year my alfa has 176000 mile on the the clock and still runs like a brand new car.. only thin i would chane is if i bought a diesel!!!! the car has cost me a timing belt.. about 500 yoyo fited and a AFM.. these are about 350 from fiat but u can get a brand new one from scrappies for about 80 and it works a charm.. regular servicing with an alfa is a MUST .. i change oil and oil filter ever 5000 miles.. the oil pipes tend to get clogged up and starve the engine of oil so changing it is not a bad idea. other than looking a big tired on the outside it is a dream to drive.. as you can imagin with that sort of mileage i drive it ALOT .. couldn't reccoment it enough.. trea it well and it will treat you well..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Has anyone here heard the V6 156 in real life? I have and it's nerve tingling.

4 cylinders are SO boring, if you're gonna get an Alfa go the whole hog and get one that delightful sounding engine. I think anyone who has heard the V6 156 will agree with me that it makes a most extraordinary noise, as good as a 6 pot E28 or E30 back when BMW 6 pots were properly loud. And that's not even the full banana GTA version.

You're not gonna be able to sell a 156 on anyway so you might as well enjoy the experience and get a V6 model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

E92 wrote: »

the first time I drove a V6 156 the hairs on my arms and neck stood on end from the noise it made, and when i drove the GTA....... well........ its just in another league

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

E92 wrote: »

4 cylinders are SO boring, if you're gonna get an Alfa go the whole hog and get one that delightful sounding engine. I think anyone who has heard the V6 156 will agree with me that it makes a most extraordinary noise, as good as a 6 pot E28 or E30 back when BMW 6 pots were properly loud. And that's not even the full banana GTA version.

You're not gonna be able to sell a 156 on anyway so you might as well enjoy the experience and get a V6 model.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

so in conclusion, you need a V6 :D;)

if you could stretch the budget a tiny bit more.....

you could have this, now thats a lot of car for that money!

and €12k should just about see this on your drive with irish plates

BUT

since its a Celica you are comparing with, how about this, I know the owner of this car and have driven it a few times, its an awesome machine :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

siralfalot wrote: »
    how about this, I know the owner of this car and have driven it a few times, its an awesome machine :cool:

My best mate has a 3.0V6 GTV. Some car that is alright. If you buy a good one from an enthusiast, it's incredible you can get so much car for 5 or 6 grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

the celica 190 sounds pretty good too when the cam changes at ~6k rpm - gets a lot louder and more throaty

both cars are fairly quiet (as quiet as each other) when driven normally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I have driven the GTA a couple of times - and I have to say that while I really would love to have it - I dont know if I could live with it as a every day motor, I found it a bit too un-ruley really. I think the 2.5 V6 would be a better blend of refinement and poke with alot less torque steer too !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

A-Trak wrote: »
    Have been looking at an Alfa 156.

Any opinions welcome.
    siralfalot wrote: »
    so in conclusion, you need a V6 :D;)

Wow, that escalated quickly:)

Got out in a 156 for half an hour at lunch time and am still smiling.
    Have a testdrive this weekend in another.

Great advice by all, thanks again lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

My long distance love affair with the 156 began when i first saw it at the London Motor Show in 1997. Love at first sight!

My brother drove one ('99 1.8) and had a lot of trouble with it, eventually selling it in favour of a '01 Celica incidentally. i MUCH preferred his 156 though. Lovely car to ride in. Comfortable, stylish, nippy and an Alfa :)

On several occasions a friend of mine who had a modest budget to buy, almost went with used 156's but he was always put off by salesmen / mechanics and their tales of mechanical/electrical woes. i think the key to it is to be astute enough to select a good late model example and you should be grand.

Celicas are bland.

Cuore Sportivo! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

neither of the cars chosen are great, from a mechanical standing point,

the alfa's are basically using Green bosche parts and the newwer ( after 1992 ) celica range has gotten progressively worse thanks to toyta cutting costs...

but if i had to choose, the celica all day long, even on the ultra basic 1.8 or 2.0 turbo.... F*** it if it breaks within a week, totally worth it... once your not eddie hobbs when it comes to finances...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

CtrlSource wrote: »
    My long distance love affair with the 156 began when i first saw it at the London Motor Show in 1997. Love at first sight!

My brother drove one ('99 1.8) and had a lot of trouble with it, eventually selling it in favour of a '01 Celica incidentally. i MUCH preferred his 156 though. Lovely car to ride in. Comfortable, stylish, nippy and an Alfa :)

On several occasions a friend of mine who had a modest budget to buy, almost went with used 156's but he was always put off by salesmen / mechanics and their tales of mechanical/electrical woes. i think the key to it is to be astute enough to select a good late model example and you should be grand.

Celicas are bland.

Cuore Sportivo! :D
    Celica's aren't bland, Golfs and A4's are bland. Celica's have a bit of flare compared to the modern lot of squares out there. But Alfa's do have more flare.
    S.I.R wrote: »
    but if i had to choose, the celica all day long, even on the ultra basic 1.8 or 2.0 turbo.... F*** it if it breaks within a week, totally worth it... once your not eddie hobbs when it comes to finances...
    Sounds like you're talking about the 6th generation Celica, this guy seems to be choosing between the 7th gen and an Alfa.
    Just get a GTA and be done with it!

Bit more advice lads if possible.

Have looked at a fair few 156's and have a shortlist of 2 (both 1.8 T-Sparks, '04)

The one that seems the best value is priced @ 8K and was previously a company car with 48K on the clock, on sale from a dealer.
    Timing belt hasn't been done but dealer has agreed to replace, put it thorugh it's NCT and full service before sale.
    He's aslo more than happy for me to have it viewed by any mechanic and will even drive out to meet my mechanic at my choice of location.

Low price seems for a ding on one of the wheel arches and some paint chips - otherwise in great nick and drives perfectly.
    As it's a company car is this better for service history and day to day maintenance such as fliud top ups etc? (All of which he's faxing to me tomorrow so I can cartell it, dealer advised it's complete but didn't have to hand when I viewed,) and does this seem like a good deal or any alarm bells?

Cheers for any advice lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You forgot to mention the year ..hard to judge the price that way
    Genreally speaking, full service history, low mileage, new timing belt and NCT should be worth something though.

both 1.8 T-Sparks, '04)
    Sorry, did kinda wedge it in there.

Thanks Peasant, just checking that it wasn't all too good.
    As long as the service history checks out I reckon I'm sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Bit more advice lads if possible.

Have looked at a fair few 156's and have a shortlist of 2 (both 1.8 T-Sparks, '04)

The one that seems the best value is priced @ 8K and was previously a company car with 48K on the clock, on sale from a dealer.
    Timing belt hasn't been done but dealer has agreed to replace, put it thorugh it's NCT and full service before sale.
    He's aslo more than happy for me to have it viewed by any mechanic and will even drive out to meet my mechanic at my choice of location.

Low price seems for a ding on one of the wheel arches and some paint chips - otherwise in great nick and drives perfectly.
    As it's a company car is this better for service history and day to day maintenance such as fliud top ups etc? (All of which he's faxing to me tomorrow so I can cartell it, dealer advised it's complete but didn't have to hand when I viewed,) and does this seem like a good deal or any alarm bells?

Cheers for any advice lads.

48k and the timing Belt was never done :eek:
    The previous owner obviously hadnt a clue so, i wonder was it regulalry checked for oil so?

After owning an Alfa for 6months, i'll never own anything else. As soon as i get a bit older and a few more years I'll be getting myself a 147 GTA, but before then i want a 159, GT and GTV :p

On another note, I love the terrible reputation they have, it means you can an amazing car for so little money

48k and the timing Belt was never done :eek:
    The previous owner obviously hadnt a clue so, i wonder was it regularly checked for oil so?
    That struck me whilst I was talking to the dealer.
    Would not maintaining the oil level cause irreparable damage or is it fixable? And would a mechanic / cartell inspection pick this up?
    On another note, I love the terrible reputation they have, it means you can an amazing car for so little money
    Agreed - this has allowed me to budget in a good few quid to have any niggles fixed as well as buying the car!

Advertisement