Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible ban on posters for next years local elections (Moved from Galway forum)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

SeanW wrote: »
    It's worse, those things are usually made of a plasticey polyester board kind of material.

That cant be recycled as far as I know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

No
    In recent elections Westport Tidy Town COmmittee obtained a voluntary agreement from political parties to refrain from postering in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Overheal wrote: »
    What if boards (dangerous water but ill go) hosted a forum for each party, where regular posters could pose questions to the politicians, and they could reply?

I'm not sure that Boardsies could even agree under which Category Forum to place these (Games\Fantasy Sports Arena\The Dail?), but I'm fairly sure that this would become a task for some social media handler in each firm.

It'd be nice for a politics subforum to actually have a deadline for submissions and goal for each thread to result in getting a written question asked of a minister by a TD, at which point we're guaranteed a written response after a few weeks.
    If a couple of TDs from each grouping participated, then it might moderate the party political cross-sniping.

A thread template like:
    Target: To be asked by SF representative.
    Topic: Upcoming Health charge legislation.
    Minister: Probably James O'Reilly
    Deadline for debate/submissions: September 21st.  

But the option would be there for other TDs to try and 'borrow' the question, phrased to match their own stance.

Of course there would be joke / sham submissions, but what's new in that?

Yes, these questions can be asked by individuals and lobbies as it stands and most of us never read the answer from the oireachtas site, but getting a more varied set of opinions creating the submission might improve the quality of questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,896 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No
    DeVore since I posed that question or perhaps even since before has considered the use of the website for hosting political discussion, with civil servants as participants. Probably not as far fetched as when I asked about it either. Would be a nice step forward for the place - or its impending apocalypse.

Advertisement