Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible ban on posters for next years local elections (Moved from Galway forum)

Options
  • 05-08-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Campaign posters in the city and Salthill area may be banned during next years elections.
    Local businessman Neil McNelis came up with the idea after the Government called for submissions on the control of postering for elections.
    The ban on election posters during next year's election would coincide with the Galway leg of the Volvo Ocean Race.
    It's expected that a high number of tourists will be in the city for the event as well as a large volume of national and international media.

Do you think campaign posters should be banned? 36 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    RobboChris_533976po0kAsokAlunpassiveTzetzemarkpbbrianthebardmikemacsgthighwayninty9ergalwayrushDirk Gentlyhairyfairy00PogMoThoin[Deleted User]ZorbaTehZstevecrow74Overheal 36 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

No
    Some people only vote for peoples posters that they like.Thats really stupid and they should be made vote for parties they really support.Ban should be instated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭TheInvisibleFie

Keep the posters. Just ensure that they are taken down properly. They're an option for candidates who are running with a limited budget but who can't afford pretty pictures in every edition of the local papers for weeks before the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

No
    Ahh, excellent proposal, ban them for ever more, they really make the place ugly with them hanging from every pole .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Without posters a lot of people wouldn't even know there's an election on. I still think it's a good idea not to have campaign posters up when there are so many tourists around but it shouldn't be a permanent measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

No
    Great idea,next step national ban!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

No
    Without posters a lot of people wouldn't even know there's an election on. I still think it's a good idea not to have campaign posters up when there are so many tourists around but it shouldn't be a permanent measure.
    If you're that switched off politically, you don't deserve a vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

good, Ihope this ban is successful....then I won't have to look at all their smarmy faces.....

Winner alright winner alright!!!!!!(sorry, i spent too long in Ballybrit last week)

I don't need a pretty(not so much) poster to tell me what way to vote thank you very much....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭dcukhunter

No
    They should be banned everywhere they just make a mess of the place and is a massive waste of funding. I dont know anyone that would change their minds just because of a poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Robbo wrote: »
    Who are you and I to decide who dose or dose not deserve a vote? I would think there would be a lower turn out if there was a ban on posters. It is a local election and not everyone listens to Galway Bay fm

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

No
    Who are you and I to decide who dose or dose not deserve a vote? I would think there would be a lower turn out if there was a ban on posters. It is a local election and not everyone listens to Galway Bay fm
    It's quite simple really, if you solely rely on election posters to be aware of the election and the candidates, you're hardly likely to be reaching an informed decision.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

No

We need a country where people can make informed decisions not vote based on what the person looks like or who has the nicest poster design.

Maybe it would be ok actually to have posters that inform people of an election (just not millions of them) and then if they want and care can take the trouble to look into the issues and parties involved themselves.

Anyone know if other countries allow loads of posters like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

No
    No posters.
    Mandatory voting.
    Civilization IV to be a Leaving Cert subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Are those posters any good in a bonfire?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

I vote for the best looking candidate.
    I vote for more signs.

Telling me I cant have a vote makes you a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

No
    Best idea in ages.

During the Ocean Race can you imagine every Salthill lamppost being full of this ****? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Great idea-- majority of the things arent even printed in the republic as in most are printed in the north - thereby not supporting local business and pumping money elsewhere!

also they are just annoying

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

No
    Always thought posters a waste of time and money. Some candidates and their supporters want to see their image on every pole. Postering is a survival from the days when print media of elections was not too exciting, and when there was no TV coverage.

With the advent of the web, information on who is running and why is readily available.

Some communities have asked political parties not to poster particular areas. E.g in recent elections Westport, a town which has won a number of Tidy Town Competitions, has persuaded the main parties not to put up posters in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

No
    From a political point of view, it would have to be a complete ban or the current free-for-all.

There's no room for an in between or temporary approach to this.

For the poster who raised cost of a campiagn as a reason for keeping them.....they're not exactly cheap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No
    im instantly reminded of one of our school teachers that ran for local office in Clare - bunch o lads took down a couple posters and arranged them in his classroom :)

More importantly how about a ban on those fupping annoying cars that go around spoutng propoganda from hood-mounted megaphones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

man the establisment loses a referendum and suddenly theres all this talk about banning posters.

of course in no way whatsovever would this be extended to a lisbon two campaign should it happen.

this is whats called "a precedent" boys and girls. watch and see what happens if its instituted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

No
    partholon wrote: »
    man the establisment loses a referendum and suddenly theres all this talk about banning posters.

of course in no way whatsovever would this be extended to a lisbon two campaign should it happen.

this is whats called "a precedent" boys and girls. watch and see what happens if its instituted.

This was mooted as far back as 1997, nothing to do with a recent referendum.

Some people:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

Robbo wrote: »
    QFT!!!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Polite note: thread is in Politics now; Politics rules apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Such a move would punish the Greens most severely in my opinion. Because they dont have the resources to go door to door, or deliver personalized leaflets, their public awareness might be reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No
    What if boards (dangerous water but ill go) hosted a forum for each party, where regular posters could pose questions to the politicians, and they could reply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Overheal wrote: »
    What if boards (dangerous water but ill go) hosted a forum for each party, where regular posters could pose questions to the politicians, and they could reply?

Well I suppose if you set it up for the next elections. I would be willing to help on this. Write letters and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Damn! Missed the vote, but would definitely have been a "yes".

How some idiot who hasn't been seen for years because they haven't done a tap thinks that having their mug on 40 million ESB poles littering the countryside will influence people is beyond me!

If they're in the news as having done something/delivered on promises, then I'll remember them.

Remember too, those posters are a waste of what would otherwise be spent elsewhere.....whether they're "Government" funds (i.e. our tax money) "party" funds (loads of news during the week of TDs claiming 50-odd grand expenses!) or corporate donations (indirectly reclaimed back from us through higher prices) they're pointless and they cost us money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Because some people decided to use the Lisbon treaty to sell their faces I say no more mugshots on campaign posters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Posters have no relevance to forming my opinion are are wasteful. Just look at the recent No vote, the majority of posters were for the Yes side yet they still lost.

Anyway, i'm all for the environment and saving trees so lets ban street posters for elections :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's worse, those things are usually made of a plasticey polyester board kind of material.

Advertisement