Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only one in office not invited to wedding.

Options
  • 01-08-2008 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

:( So basically the title says it all. I just found out a girl I have worked very closely with the last 1.5 years is getting married and has handed out wedding invitations to everyone in my office (20 staff + partners). I was the only person in the office to not get an invite.

At first I thought maybe it was a mistake until then I found out emails have been also sent around with "wedding present ideas etc" and I also wasnt included so therefore there is no way it is all a "coincidence".

Obviously this lady very much dislikes me and I had thought we got on.

I am sitting in work now and I am obviously very hurt and offended.

I am also annoyed that she has invited other people who have only been with the company 4 months and doesnt even know them.

I got an invite (the only person in the office to get this) to the afters.

I had been looking forward to going but obviously I dont want to go anymore to someones wedding who doesnt even want me there.

Can I ask her what her problem is or just leave it alone?

Please help... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Just leave it be. The girl is getting married, let her invite who she wants.
    I would find something good to go to that same weekend, and politely decline the invitation to the afters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

:( So basically the title says it all. I just found out a girl I have worked very closely with the last 1.5 years is getting married and has handed out wedding invitations to everyone in my office (20 staff + partners). I was the only person in the office to not get an invite.

At first I thought maybe it was a mistake until then I found out emails have been also sent around with "wedding present ideas etc" and I also wasnt included so therefore there is no way it is all a "coincidence".

I am also annoyed that she has invited other people who have only been with the company 4 months and doesnt even know them.

I had been looking forward to going but obviously I dont want to go anymore to someones wedding who doesnt even want me there.

i wouldnt ask, obviously she doesnt see you as a friend so you should bear that in mind in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm really sorry to hear that.

Try not to take it personally - it would be a very boring world if we all had the same personalities and got along with everyone.

In another company you could be the most popular person in the office.

It's just unfortunate that you're working with a girl who is obviously a bit insensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Just leave it be. The girl is getting married, let her invite who she wants.
    I would find something good to go to that same weekend, and politely decline the invitation to the afters.

Yeah, happened to a girl I know too...only 2 people of about 30 staff not invited. Then an email went around asking "everyone not invited to the wedding" to the afters! Polite decline is the best. I'm firmly of the belief that people's wedding invite lists should contain ONLY the people they want there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Some serious issue there.

That's pathetic on her part. Unless of course you did something extreme to get yourself in her bad books.

It's a shocking indictment of her tbh. Chin up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Some people...
    It's a horrible way to find out, especially that you thought you got on well!
    Don't bring it up at all.
    Don't resent her in the future either - it might be exactly what she wants.
    Plan something else with mates and have a brill time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

This says more about her than it does about you. I suppose her reason for not inviting you is causing you some anguish. Just try to accept that she sees you in a different light than you thought, and move on. At least now you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

This like a childrens party thing.

If she really hates you for some minor slight. Then you should do something worth hating you for.

Call the hotel and say you need to cancel at short notice, as there's been a death in the family.... you won't be rumbled ,,, even if you're nervous.

Call the Irish star and tell them you know of a paedophile who's on the run from the law is about to get married.

Christian forgiveness is only to fool the weak into not taking revenge.

If you don't take revenge,, these people will never learn to be nice. It's your civic duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭runswithascript

:(

Did you do something really bad to her? Otherwise she's just a complete bitch.
    krd wrote: »
    This like a childrens party thing.

If she really hates you for some minor slight. Then you should do something worth hating you for.

Call the hotel and say you need to cancel at short notice, as there's been a death in the family.... you won't be rumbled ,,, even if you're nervous.

Call the Irish star and tell them you know of a paedophile who's on the run from the law is about to get married.

Christian forgiveness is only to fool the weak into not taking revenge.

If you don't take revenge,, these people will never learn to be nice. It's your civic duty.

Do not cross this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭happypartygirl

nah never did anything to offend her. always happy & friendly. we all work in quite pressurised roles so i havent had enough time to chat with her as i did previously but i havent had time to chat with anyone really just sit quitely doing my work. we got the invitations like a month ago and i assumed we were all only invited to the afters until someone let slip that infact they were all going to the wedding and it was only me that was to "follow them there after". Why on earth would I want to do that.. im def. not going but im very hurt because i am quite an inoffensive person so i dunno wat her problem is :(

• Advertisement

You could try asking her...

Maybe it is all a misunderstanding...?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

nah never did anything to offend her. always happy & friendly. we all work in quite pressurised roles so i havent had enough time to chat with her as i did previously but i havent had time to chat with anyone really just sit quitely doing my work. we got the invitations like a month ago and i assumed we were all only invited to the afters until someone let slip that infact they were all going to the wedding and it was only me that was to "follow them there after". Why on earth would I want to do that.. im def. not going but im very hurt because i am quite an inoffensive person so i dunno wat her problem is :(

That's actually really weird.

Sounds like Bridezilla.

Glad I'm not marrying her.

That's really horrible, I don't know what to say :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

she is just a bitch forget about her for god sake...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Ask her why but make sure you think carefully about what you are going to say beforehand and avoid getting annoyed/angry or emotional. You loosing the plot or breaking will just make you feel a thousand times worse.

By any chance, are you hotter than her or do you tend to have a vastly superior taste in fashion?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MAKE MY DAY

Hi OP,

Firstly sorry to hear that has happened to you. I really feel for you. To be honest it is a poor reflection on her and shows the type of mean person she really is. Hold your head up high you deserve better (at least you now know who your friends are). Truthfully its awful behaviour by specifically singling you out it shows her to be pathetic .

I am not suggesting that people should invite those they do not get along with to their wedding etc.. but as you pointed out some of your colleagues have been with the company a very short period of time and it is unlikely that she is friendly with all of them. I would further point out that it is unlikely to be a cost issue as the savings to be made by not inviting you to the main event would be minimal. As others have said earlier do something special yourself when the wedding is on and make sure you have fun.

Try and put it behind you and best of luck.

Ask her why but make sure you think carefully about what you are going to say beforehand and avoid getting annoyed/angry or emotional.

This is bad advice. Why ask her to be told that she doesn't like you or she's just not friendly enough with you? If you were to ask her can you think of one possible reason she could have that would make you feel better?

If the answer to this question is no don't ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

As hard as it is, i would just leave it be. She obviously has some sort of problem with you but i wouldn't give her the satisfaction of knowing you're bothered by it.
    krd wrote: »

Thanks, you made me laugh on that one, i could just see the press/church situation in my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

I reckon the OP is a hottie and the lass in the wedding would feel seconded at the wedding.

my 2c..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Its certainly strange. Particularly as you thought you got on well. I know from experience that trying to work out numbers etc can be tricky but she really should have just asked her CLOSE friends from the office and left out the remainder. That way at least you would not be the only one and ther would be no issue.

Gotta say it was not a nice thing to do but it's her who will feel bad when she thinks about it later.

• Advertisement

To be honest......What kind of a clown invites
    • 20 People from Work to the whole of their wedding
    • someone they only know 4 months to the wedding
    Sounds like your better off away frm this one OP

I agree, it's very odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I reckon the OP is a hottie and the lass in the wedding would feel seconded at the wedding.

my 2c..

Almost certainly.

were I the OP I'd go away on a class holiday or something, say you had it booked for ages etc. Don't ask her about it, she obviously wants a reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 cliokat

Take the high moral ground on this one and ignore it. Asking her about it will only keep drawing attention to it and provide gossip for all the others working with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

it says more about her then you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

To be honest......What kind of a clown invites
    • 20 People from Work to the whole of their wedding
    • someone they only know 4 months to the wedding
    Sounds like your better off away frm this one OP

I don't get any of that either. Especially people you only know a few months. Whats with that?

Normal for work mates is to ask them to the afters. Unless your very good friends.

All very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

Screw it. Rest assured the 20 other people in the office have noticed but think she's a weirdo. The thing is they probably don't give a crap and will go if it suits them.

At least you won't have to contribute to a present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

nah never did anything to offend her. always happy & friendly. we all work in quite pressurised roles so i havent had enough time to chat with her as i did previously

Maybe she thinks you're being rude to her?

Look, we're only getting your side of things. You reckon you're "inoffensive" but maybe she disagrees. Maybe you have done something to offend but you're not aware of it. You're obviously not as friendly as you thought because you're the only one not invited to the whole day. Ask her. Ask her if you have done something to upset her. If you're not comfortable with that, ask someone you work with (and trust) if they have any idea why you're not invited to the full day.

I disagree with this "it says more about her than it does you". How on earth do we know that? Because the OP says she's inoffensive? For all we know the OP has badly offended the bride and just isn't aware of it. The only way she'll know is if she asks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

well thats how it'll look to the rest of the ppl in the office if the op is as agreeable as she makes out. we don't know if she is or not but for the moment all we have to go on is what the op said.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Do ye get on like a house on fire? Have you brought her out for drinks? Gotten pissed and fallen home legless?

If yes, then she's a cow.

If no, then, and get this, for this is a real shocker: IT'S HER WEDDING. Her once in a lifetime happy day. Why bother inviting someone who never had time to talk to her within 1.5 years?

• Advertisement

I'm trying to imagine if this happened to me.

I get along with most (or all, I think!) of the people in my office.

If they were all invited to a wedding except me, I think they'd all be talking to me about it, and asking the bride if she'd simply forgotten to invite me.

If they didn't say anything to me, I'd think there was something up, which they're all aware of. Probably my fault!

It's a very weird situation altogether.

Advertisement