Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely heavy rain today (31st) - UKMO - expect widespread flooding(South W Floods)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

The Irish record for one-day rain-fall is 243.5 mm (9.59 in), recorded at Cloore Lake, in Kerry in 1993.

Surprised me I must say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

7 hour total up to midnight finished off at 15.2mm. In no way impressive, but not bad either since there was a couple of cloudbursts thrown in, which is always deadly. Drizzle now.

The rainfall radar has me in the pink zone from 6pm to midnight, easily believable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not sure wot happened to the rain here but the ground was mostly dry all day, a few spots of rain in the wind, nothing much today at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 FDuff

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Got 245mm of rain in my guage today...

oh dear.. and in 2 days we're going to a place where they get only 60mm rain per .. year!! :cool:

yeap, it's not here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

FDuff wrote: »
    oh dear.. and in 2 days we're going to a place where they get only 60mm rain per .. year!! :cool:

yeap, it's not here!

what country is that?

I off as well on Tuesday to Spain for 16 days of hopefully dryer, sunnier and much warmer weather:)

FDuff wrote: »

yeap, it's not here!

Limerick mean rainfall for Aug = 56mm
    My holiday destination (tomorrow! yay!) = 87.1mm

Dammit.

Still, must have had a good 40-50mm yesterday alone, so who cares.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0801/floods.html

Newcastle West floods

'A number of people had to be rescued from their houses after the river in town burst it banks following heavy rain.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

What';s all this about some freak cloudburst in Limerick?? I've looked on the usual animations of radar and cloud and see nothing freakish, but this was the headine on the news all morning...what gives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Looks bad, now Cork is affected and the before and after shot of the pub is incredible-http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0801/floods.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Briefly, in Met Eireann monthly summary, Castlemahon (I assume Co. Limerick) 90mm yesterday 31st July, most in the 6 hours to midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Thats a hell of a shower around Kells. My garden is now a pond!

Mothman wrote: »
    Briefly, in Met Eireann monthly summary, Castlemahon (I assume Co. Limerick) 90mm yesterday 31st July, most in the 6 hours to midnight.

About 12 km from me, it was very wet as I said, my new drive was flooded.

ch750536 wrote: »
    About 12 km from me, it was very wet as I said, my new drive was flooded.

Any idea of the rainfall recorded in your area Ch?, just seen the news now and it looked absolutely horrendous. Not often you see scenes like that in Ireland. :eek:

Sorry, no, just a hell of a lot. Worst was 6pm - midnight, was very intense rain.

click on terrain to see why it got flooded, is basically a basin.

btw, this terrain tool is cool, has confirmed my previous tagline to be incorrect, have updated it.

Cheers Ch, sounded like a nasty night all round. The floods look like the must have hit very suddenly. Cool map by the way, I have it off another site which is a little less "buggy" than the google one:

http://www.maps.ie/index.htm

It is a pity the contours are not marked individually as it is hard to deduce one's altitude. My place seems to be around 50masl, while home place in Tuam is only 30masl.

We need a mountain!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sorry, no, just a hell of a lot. Worst was 6pm - midnight, was very intense rain.

btw, this terrain tool is cool, has confirmed my previous tagline to be incorrect, have updated it.

Wish you had a Vantage Pro there, i reckon the weather there is pretty exciting.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Luckilly I put a warning on this thread! (nobody probrably saw it though) even if I was off with the 'widespread' :/ Mallow and Fermoy are pretty familiar with flooding. Newcastle West not so but they had an awful lot of rain last night in just 5 hours. I was watching on radar last night and thought there could be an issue with flooding in the Southwest as the wrap around from the LP wss moving painfully slow. Hopefully it did not effect too many.:(

• Advertisement

I have been keeping an eye on the charts over the last couple of days, and it seems that the ECMWF in particular has a deepening low crossing near or over Ireland during the early days of next week. There is a high degree of uncertainty over this, as other models, notably the UKMO and GFS have been a little more conservative about the potantcy of this system. However, it could be worth keeping an eye on. Below is the latest ECMWF synoptic chart for next Tuesday morning. They have the low just to the southwest of Ireland. The track is very uncertain and even ECM seem to have problems placing its exact path. I have drawn in potential paths of this low from Tuesday onwards, which are based on previous model runs. The path will be important because the southwest, which has bourn the brunt of the recent wet spell by far (and completely unforecasted) could be under threat again. Could be one to watch.

Tuesday5thAugust08Outlook-1.jpg

Above are possible paths of the system, based as I said on previous model runs. It could be a case that this system will die before it reaches us, or be a lot more benign. Anyway, just hope that the southwest is given a break from the bad spell of weather. :(

I read in todays Examiner that a local station recorded 98mm in 5 hours that evening.
    They didn't say where it was-just that it was local to New castle west

Advertisement