Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely heavy rain today (31st) - UKMO - expect widespread flooding(South W Floods)

Options
  • 31-07-2008 12:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

Anyone who can watch a BBC News 24 forcast do so now.:eek: From circa 11am tomorrow widespread torrential downpours across the midlands and East. Most of the country was covered in light green persistent torrential downpours. The presenter was tempted to mention it. Looks pretty severe and thundery.

edit GFS not showing this to the same extent but going for thunderstorms tomorrow night. Ive never seen a forcast for Ireland like the one ive seen now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just saw that now. He does show alot of rain around tomorrow but GFS has been consistent about the Ts potential for tomorrow night for the model runs over the last couple of day. It has just never caught the rain for daylight hours.

I'll post on the Ts thread about that potential but it is still over 24hrs away and could be downgraded.

Bloomin heck.
    Total since midnight here24.6mm
    prior to midnight 21.1mm

Thats 45.7mm in 24hrs or so here already :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just saw the BBC weather there now......might be a few showers today but it'll clear later on and were going to have a sunny friday....yahoo!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Bloomin heck.
    Total since midnight here24.6mm
    prior to midnight 21.1mm

Thats 45.7mm in 24hrs or so here already :eek:

Bloomin heck is right! Looks like Met E warning yesterday of '25 to 30mm rain overnight with significantly higher figures to high ground near the east coast'. was right!

I only recorded 4.8mm up to midnight last night and 9.3mm since - totals may have been higher as my rain gauge is sheltered from the south-east wind and I see it got quite windy overnight.

Really lashing here at the moment from that elongated shower running up the east coast so that total is on the rise and I see round 2 off the south coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

35.1mm here since midnight, probably going to be north of 60mm by the end of the day looking at the radar.
    Its weird, I'm living literally in the rain clouds!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

I had 0.53 (in) reading on my rain guage this morning since midnight. There were a few extremely heavy bursts that I heard os that could have done some of the damage!

11.6mm before midnight and 7.6mm so far since.
    Apparently got quite breezy around 0345 29mph gust.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snowbie wrote: »
    11.6mm before midnight and 7.6mm so far since.
    Apparently got quite breezy around 0345 29mph gust.

That's mad! I had exactly a 29mph gust at 0330 - it must have taken only 15 minutes to get to you! :p

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That's mad! I had exactly a 29mph gust at 0330 - it must have taken only 15 minutes to get to you! :p
    Must have avoided the M50 and took the east link, so would i.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Are we in for a fun day so?

• Advertisement

39.4mm so far and steady heavy drizzle.
    Looks like i'm going to break 200mm rain this month. Amazing considering that over half the days were dry with no measurable rainfall.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Looks like the heaviest rain today might pass up the Irish Sea/over Wales or is there any sign of rotation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

8.9mm up to midnight here with 26.9mm since. more to come...:eek:

Looks like the heaviest rain today might pass up the Irish Sea/over Wales or is there any sign of rotation?

Don't rule out the orographic effect of the Wicklow mountains, its really enhanced totals here so far today and with a large area moving north the effects will spill over east and west.

39.9mm here since midnight and still drizzling with occasional heavier bursts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Tipping down over Munster again today. They must have some pretty impressive rainfall totals this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Metcheck have issued an advanced warning:

Heavy Rain & Thunderstorms

Areas Affected: England, Wales & Ireland

The breakdown in the current very warm and humid weather is expected to take place today as frontal systems move across the country introducing fresher conditions by Friday.

The unsettled conditions will combine with the high temperatures and humidity today to produce some heavy, thundery downpours across parts of the Midlands and Northern England especially. Further west a more organised and persistent band of heavy rain is expected across Ireland and western parts of Wales and England at first before spreading further east and north later today.

Locally and regionally, some very large rainfall totals are possible, especially where any thunderstorms occur. A general 15 to 25mm is expected, but totals of up to 35 to 45mm are possible. Some localised flooding is expected.

Source

35-45mm are possible eh..well its 43.2mm so far here and theres plenty to come yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Looking at the present rainfall radar, here in Galway we should be washed away by now yet its not raining here, how come the radar shows rain and its not raining???????

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Looks like a bit of a dry forcefield around Dublin - I've only had 0.6mm of rain since 9am! Rain is very fragmented with midlands getting a good lashing on.

Nothing worse than a grey drizzly day in the middle of summer - if its going to be like this, I want torrential rain!

Looks like a bit of a dry forcefield around Dublin - I've only had 0.6mm of rain since 9am! Rain is very fragmented with midlands getting a good lashing on.

Nothing worse than a grey drizzly day in the middle of summer - if its going to be like this, I want torrential rain!

Its weird, it seems the mountains are diverting this lot of showers which stuck to them like glue in the last lot.
    Still some sporadic very heavy localised bursts here.
    Easily my second wettest days since installing my weather station just over a year ago.
    Interestingly last year the summer was a lot wetter than the winter too. Seems the orographic effect has more influence at this time of year on totals. I guess in winter the air is just too dry mostly for orographic lift to have such an effect (unless there's a moisture laden easterly...yeah riiight that'll happen :D).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Today so far is 9.9mm - surprisingly lower that I expected looking at all the heavy bursts of rain that fell.
    Yesterday (midnight to midnight) was 20.6mm

So, 30.5mm from this "storm".

Just over 20mm for this peroid so far with 8.1mm today

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

http://www.met.ie/latest/agri_percentrainfall.asp <<< I wonder what this'll look like tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Moderate to heavy rain back again, 13.3mm since 5pm and counting.

Edit: Stopped again. 13.6mm

What a dramatic climate we live in. :pac:

Lump of rain heading into Dublin now - raining heavily here now - first heavy rain since around 8/9am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah just started bucketing in the past half hour but seems to have stopped for the moment. Just had a look at the console and I'm up to 0.77 inches since 12 last night! That's over 3/4 of an inch! Can't argue with that! Might even be a bit more because my gauge is a little sheltered I'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Impressive amount of rain. 7/10 on the 'downpour' scale. Has been like this for last 4 hours or so.

Had drainage put in for the new driveway back in Jan, it's struggling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

31 degrees and sunny all day here in Nice and has been pretty much for the last three weeks, ha ha ha ;):D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Got 245mm of rain in my guage today and I still have slightly over 40mins left before the 24hr period is complete. I can't belive the amount of rain which fell today, it never stopped, constant drizzling and real downpours then. Damn this cold miserable rocky outcrop, I favour mass abandonment and mass migration to Eastern Europe as Pat Short said, T'id be a great little country if we could just roof it.

• Advertisement

mumhaabu wrote: »
    Got 245mm of rain in my guage today
    Monsooooonal.........;)

Advertisement