Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT upgrades their LLU2 packages, "up to" 3mb becomes 6 mb, 8 mb becomes 24 mb

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Auvers wrote: »
    so much for there unlimited usage, I have just been throttled :mad: and I am on there LLU 24meg package in Swords (syncing at 12 down 1 up). I have only d/loaded 60GBs and upped 40GBs and all my usage occurs between 12 midnight and 8 in the morning so I dont effect any other users. What a shower of incompetent idiots.

Bye bye BT

Hello UPC

In fairness, you did go over the 100gb cap. That has always be in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

so much for there unlimited usage, I have just been throttled :mad: and I am on there LLU 24meg package in Swords (syncing at 12 down 1 up). I have only d/loaded 60GBs and upped 40GBs and all my usage occurs between 12 midnight and 8 in the morning so I dont effect any other users. What a shower of incompetent idiots.

Bye bye BT

Hello UPC

Oh well, I will explain it one more time. When BT throttles you it does it based on the usage on the last 30 days. What you see on the usage monitor tool is only what you have downloaded in the current month (the last 14 days in this case). So if it says 60 gb, that means, 60 gb until today, from the 1st to the 14th of August (todays usage will come up tomorrow), then you have to add what you downloaded 16 days before that (14-31st of July), which is most likely way over 100 gb.

Then you have your total usage.

The throttling limit will be increased soon (in my opinion) and the new "fictitious" limit (which now seems to be somewhere around 120 gb) will be much higher than that...

So its up to you, but believe me, if you have been throttled it because you have gone over or close to 120 gb, same limit as UPC...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Bohrio wrote: »
    Oh well, I will explain it one more time. When BT throttles you it does it based on the usage on the last 30 days. What you see on the usage monitor tool is only what you have downloaded in the current month (the last 14 days in this case). So if it says 60 gb, that means, 60 gb until today, from the 1st to the 14th of August (todays usage will come up tomorrow), then you have to add what you downloaded 16 days before that (14-31st of July), which is most likely way over 100 gb.

The throttling limit will be increased soon (in my opinion) and the new "fictitious" limit (which now seems to be somewhere around 120 gb) will be much higher than that...

So its up to you, but believe me, if you have been throttled it because you have gone over or close to 120 gb, same limit as UPC...
    Upc's higher up packages are unlimited now (with aup of course) and even before their recent upgrade to 20mbit from 12mbit they had a 120GB limit IIRC so would stand to reason now that the area that the aup would kick in would be far higher than 120GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

jmccrohan wrote: »
    In fairness, you did go over the 100GB cap. That has always be in place.

what do you mean in fairness, I received a letter last week lauding the fact there was unlimited usage in effect (with aup) on there 24meg package and when I stretched the legs of my connection they strangle the life out of it.

What sort of "unlimited usage" is that.

tech support have said that my connection is still unlimited because I can download at 10kbit/s, this is fcuking laughable, I would be better off with a 56k modem.

I just cancelled so goodbye BT and good riddance.

*edit*

Just reading there Usage policy http://www.btireland.ie/legalUsage.shtml

There is no monthly usage allowance for Option 3 customers and you can enjoy unlimited usage for no extra charge subject to the Fair Usage Policy.

explain that one to me Bohrio.

because as far as I am concerned I did not break the fair usage policy as I only download at night when nobody is using there connection and how is 60down 40up a lot of usage for a 12meg connection?

Just reading there Usage policy http://www.btireland.ie/legalUsage.shtml

There is no monthly usage allowance for Option 3 customers and you can enjoy unlimited usage for no extra charge subject to the Fair Usage Policy.

explain that one to me Bohrio.

because as far as I am concerned I did not break the fair usage policy as I only download at night when nobody is using there connection and how is 60down 40up a lot of usage for a 12meg connection?

You have downloaded 126 gb in the last 30 days, and, what is there to explain? ...enjoy unlimited usage ..... subject to Fair Usage Policy...

did you read the fair usage policy? Remember that fair usage policy not only applies to download usage but the content too... (although it because of the usage why you have been throttled...

Anyway I said that the limit will most likely increase soon... not that it matters to you anymore...

• Advertisement

Upc's higher up packages are unlimited now (with aup of course) and even before their recent upgrade to 20mbit from 12mbit they had a 120GB limit IIRC so would stand to reason now that the area that the aup would kick in would be far higher than 120GB.

Thanks, I didnt know that.

You have downloaded 126 gb in the last 30 days, and, what is there to explain?

LOL it meant to be unlimited FFS, how is 126gbs excessive on a 12meg connection!!!! thats only 4.2gigs a day
    fair usage policy not only applies to download usage but the content too

wtf has content got to do with it :confused:
    not that it matters to you anymore

the only thing you have said that made sense today

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You have downloaded 126 gb in the last 30 days, and, what is there to explain? ...enjoy unlimited usage ..... subject to Fair Usage Policy...

I have to say Bohrio, BT certainly just lost a lot of credibility, which they had gained from the 24mb upgrade.

A 126GB limit on a so called "unlimited" 24mb service is far too low.

I have never once heard of UPC kicking off, charging or throttle any of their customers for going over their limit. They once sent out letters to some very high users once, asking them to take it easy, but didn't do anything further. So Auvers should be very happy with them.

bk wrote: »
    I have to say Bohrio, BT certainly just lost a lot of credibility, which they had gained from the 24mb upgrade.

hold on just to add to there credibility, tech support actually said to me its still "unlimited" as I can still download at 10kbs :D

hold on just to add to there credibility, tech support actually said to me its still "unlimited" as I can still download at 10kbs :D

That's just a lame answer... you should get the person who said that to you.... ;)

• Advertisement

A 126GB limit on a so called "unlimited" 24mb service is far too low.

I couldnt agree more but as I have said, the new "unlimited" package is still to come. At the moment they are still using the same old throttling method...

wtf has content got to do with it :confused:

I could try explaining but I guess you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! Anyway I will try... once again..

This is what I mean by content...

Excerpts from BT's Usage Policy:

7. Customers may not use BT services to create, host or transmit material which infringes the copyright of another person or organisation.

8. Customers may not use BT services to engage in activities which infringe the proprietary rights of software.

9. Customers may not use BT services to engage in activities which compromise the privacy of others.

Now next time you dont understand something I suggest you do some research first... anyway I have said to you before that you were throttled because you exceeded the "old" limit, that's all.

As I have said, again, the "old" throttling system still applies... until the new one kicks. The new system will implement a more detailed view of your usage and hopefully (not sure though) BT will increase their cap too...

I could try explaining but I guess you can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear! Anyway I will try... once again..

This is what I mean by content...

Excerpts from BT's Usage Policy:

7. Customers may not use BT services to create, host or transmit material which infringes the copyright of another person or organisation.

8. Customers may not use BT services to engage in activities which infringe the proprietary rights of software.

9. Customers may not use BT services to engage in activities which compromise the privacy of others.

whoa hold on a second there mate.

who said I ever transmitted anything illegal??

are are representing your company?

is this company policy looking at someone's private internet usage\content and then making it public knowledge.

is this company policy looking at someone's private internet usage\content and then making it public knowledge.

Think carefully about this as I will be contacting my solicitor based upon the next response.

No I am not, I just told you what the usage policy is..., as said many times I dont represent BT, I am just giving my opinion. And no, afaik bt doesnt monitor peoples connection, they couldnt be bothered I suppose...unless (in the future) requested by the law I suppose...

and I also said, that it wasnt the reason why they throttled you...

Again you didnt read the message...

You have downloaded 126 gb in the last 30 days

where did you get this info from? I never stated in any of my posts that information.

where did you get this info from? I never stated in any of my posts that information.

It was just an estimation

You said you had downloaded 60 gb in the last 14 days

60 gb in 14 days is ~ 4.2 gB per day

4.2 gb * 30 = 126 gb!!!

oh so you pulled that figure out of thin air.

I cant say for definite the amount I downloaded last month but I don't even think I was over 20gigs as it wasn't "unlimited" last month and I always watch my download amount and I was away on holidays for the last 2 weeks in July, but then I received the letter from BT last week stating the new "unlimited usage" package.

So in fact I have been throttled for less than 100gigs, this "unlimited usage" just gets better and better & if hasn't been implemented yet why send me the god damn letter stating it was implemented?

oh so you pulled that figure out of thin air.

I cant say for definite the amount I downloaded last month but I don't even think I was over 20gigs as it wasn't "unlimited" last month and I used to usually watch my download amount and I was away on holidays for the last 2 weeks in July, but then I received the letter from BT last week stating the new "unlimited usage" package.

So in fact I have been throttled for less than 100gigs, this "unlimited usage" just gets better and better & if hasn't been implemented yet why send me the god damn letter stating it was implemented?

Auvers, honestly, I empathized with you, you are right, but at the moment its the way it is. I agree they should have removed the cap but at the moment its the way it is.

I have heard somewhere they were thinking of removing that cap or at least increasing it but that wont happen for a few weeks.

Anyway, 20 mb is better than 12-14mb. Your pings might not be as good though.. You can always set your line to fastpath...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have never once heard of UPC kicking off, charging or throttle any of their customers for going over their limit. They once sent out letters to some very high users once, asking them to take it easy, but didn't do anything further. So Auvers should be very happy with them.

UPC have warned users about high downloads, UPC have also disconnect numerous users for ignoring such warnings...generally after the 3rd warning.

During my time with UPC I got two warnings, however two work mates of mine had there service terminated.

If an ISP has a set cap or usage policy and the user exceeds this then the ISP is well within its rights to terminate the users service or throttle the customers service inline with their policy.

I'm always doubtful of the legit content that a customer who hits 300GB all the way upto 1TB in a month, no home user can be downloading 100% legal content that uses this much bandwidth and if they are they must have no life....if it is illegal content then again the user is breaking the Terms of service of the Broadband.

Think carefully about this as I will be contacting my solicitor based upon the next response.

Clearly Bohrio estimated your usage and has simply stated terms of the service, Bohrio is playing the odds that a heavy user is downloading copyright material via P2P etc....I believe that most people would guess this as well.

Auvers if I was you I'd be very careful about making legal threats to other users on this board.

Bohrio, in relation to your posts I would like you to make your position clear, for example are you employed by BT , if so are you posting on behalf of BT or just as a normal user?

Cabaal wrote: »
    Auvers if I was you I'd be very careful about making legal threats to other users on this board.

Sorry Cabaal just a rush of blood to the head (I have edited my post to take out the offending comment)

because at the time I thought Bohrio was a BT employee and was accessing my account info and was making it public.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Bohrio, in relation to your posts I would like you to make your position clear, for example are you employed by BT , if so are you posting on behalf of BT or just as a normal user?

Hi Cabaal

Just as a normal user

BT havent decided yet if they want to post using their own user. That doesnt mean that they are not watching. Also, some of the people that post here work for BT, and although they are not authorized to represent the company they just want to lay a hand.

If I have ever posted information regarding BT (like the recent upgrades) it was with their authorization and after I was asked to do it.

100% of the time what I post is what I am thinking, if I am just passing on information then I will express it like that.

Hope this make it clear!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ok...I would ask is if you are posting on behalf of BT that you make this clear in future, if your posting as a user no worries.

Alot of employee's for ISP including Smart, Digiweb and UTV do currently or have posted on boards over the years as employees which they have clearly stated to other users, many of them have specifically interacted with users and resolved single user issues in a very positive manner, its great to see ISP's interact with its customers in this way.

However there has been a number of employees that have posted internal information or on behalf of there employer without there employers consent and this has led to issues, that is why such users are banned as outlined in the Broadband charter.

I just wanted clarification on your position, :)

Thanks
    Cabaal

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭joeali101

one small point i'd like to make here,whats the point in bt showing you your usage for the current month when their throttling criteria is based on a rolling month,if that's the case then you have no way of checking what your usage until you get throttled.also i was under the impression that "unlimited"meant exactly what it says and not what the internet provider decides what definition it wants to put on it,if its not unlimited then there's a cap on it and if so how can it be called unlimited?

joeali101 wrote: »
    one small point i'd like to make here,whats the point in bt showing you your usage for the current month when their throttling criteria is based on a rolling month,if that's the case then you have no way of checking what your usage until you get throttled.also i was under the impression that "unlimited"meant exactly what it says and not what the internet provider decides what definition it wants to put on it,if its not unlimited then there's a cap on it and if so how can it be called unlimited?

You speak the truth!

But as I said I have been told that BT is supposed to be releasing (sometime in the future) a new monitoring tool that will show the amount of data downloaded in the last 30 days in addition to the current month usage.

Also, they still have to decide if the theoretical usage limit applied at the moment will increase or not (my opinion is that it probably will)...

All I can say is, give them sometime...

joeali101 wrote: »
    .also i was under the impression that "unlimited"meant exactly what it says and not what the internet provider decides what definition it wants to put on it,if its not unlimited then there's a cap on it and if so how can it be called unlimited?

In this day and age no ISP is really truely unlimited, ISP are "unlimited" for the average home user but when it comes to backhaul costs and if you have lets say 5% of users using 95% of the bandwidth then the ISP has to do something.

This is why ISP's have fair usage policy...its just to cover their arses :)

I would however like to see ISP's make their Fair Usage Policys more clear as time goes on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Yes, well... just be thankful you can actually reach your cap unlike all the poor suckers on 3 who dream of hitting 10GB a month.

Getting back on topic, september is approaching. Bohrio, any idea when the Athlone exchange is going to be upgraded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

My speed was raped down to ISDN line speeds twice in the last month, the first time was when the 3MB speed was supposed to come into effect for us (9th August), instead of 300+ kb/s I got 15-20, and then again in the middle of last week after a period of lovely 300+ speeds that lasted all to briefly, now I have to wait for jpegs like a sucker.

BT are a crock of brown, sticky awful-smelling goop that comes from the rear of an equestrian animal, and they can shove their service up the aforementioned animals behind.

And the "fair" usage policy is unfair, "unlimited" with a blatant limit? What a fracking joke.
    As soon as UPC get to Celbridge...

BopNiblets wrote: »
    My speed was raped down to ISDN line speeds twice in the last month, the first time was when the 3MB speed was supposed to come into effect for us (9th August), instead of 300+ kb/s I got 15-20, and then again in the middle of last week after a period of lovely 300+ speeds that lasted all to briefly, now I have to wait for jpegs like a sucker.

BT are a crock of brown, sticky awful-smelling goop that comes from the rear of an equestrian animal, and they can shove their service up the aforementioned animals behind.

And the "fair" usage policy is unfair, "unlimited" with a blatant limit? What a fracking joke.
    As soon as UPC get to Celbridge...
    Were you throttled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Bump.

I for one would rather see a very high limit than a nebulous "unlimited" advertised. Let's you know exactly where you stand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement