Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT upgrades their LLU2 packages, "up to" 3mb becomes 6 mb, 8 mb becomes 24 mb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Is there a way to figure out what exchange you're on?

And also where the exchange is, to estimate distance to it?

I thought I'd be on the blanch exchange, but popping my number in the BT form it says it'll be upgraded on Aug 9th..so I guess I'm not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

The BT line checker thing is only for the eircom 7.6mb speed upgrade and not for bt's llu2 rollout so posts relating to it should not be in this thread. I knew all of these upgrades would cause confusion. To see what exchange you're on run your phone number through smart telecom's website- the page to find out if you can get smart bb

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

LookingFor wrote: »
    Is there a way to figure out what exchange you're on?

And also where the exchange is, to estimate distance to it?

I thought I'd be on the blanch exchange, but popping my number in the BT form it says it'll be upgraded on Aug 9th..so I guess I'm not?

If you visit http://www.smarttelecom.ie/ and input your number it should say what exchange your on last I remember :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'll have to wait until they roll out VDSL.
    That was discussed earlier on in the thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OK on further research it seems the max upload for ADSL is 2mb.....so seems you cannot trade download bandwidth for upload bandwidth. Well they could at least give us the 2mb :)

They don't have to at the end of the day, they'll give you what they believe is most cost affective and required by the average home user and the average home user does not yet need anything near 2MB upload speeds

Anyway can we keep this thread back on topic,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Do we know what the story is with BT's upgrading the remaining eircom only exchanges to LLU2 so the rest of us can enjoy the speed increases?

vibe666 wrote: »
    Do we know what the story is with BT's upgrading the remaining eircom only exchanges to LLU2 so the rest of us can enjoy the speed increases?

BT won't roll out LLU kit to an exhange unless its worth the investment, generally large citys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

On the phone to BT now about my upgrade :)

Dun Laoghaire exchange.

They dont think my line will take 24megs but I'll get a speed increase anyway. Waiting for a call back now to be sure cos I'm still on 8.

I rang back; upgrades will take place over the month of Aug so I dunno fo'sho when exactly I'll be upgraded. It'll be done automatically.

Typical...as soon as I decide to move house and prob get NTL, my BT line goes to a faster speed :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

kaimera wrote: »
    On the phone to BT now about my upgrade :)

Dun Laoghaire exchange.
    I hate* you :mad:

Not quite hate.. but really strong jealously..

Cabaal wrote: »
    BT won't roll out LLU kit to an exhange unless its worth the investment, generally large citys
    johnstown is a deceptively large place. not much to look at from the main road, but the estates go for miles.

i wonder what I'd have to do to convince them?

i keep thinking I'll find a granny next door to the navan exchange and buy her some 24mbps dsl and set up a cantenna bridge to my place. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

my phone is with eircom but my dsl is with bt, would i be able to get the adsl2 upgrade, there is no clear information on the site if this would be an issue.

did not bother before as there was only goin to be a .4mb difference and i was told i would be without service for a week or 2 but would consider it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

This really isn't available to many people outside of Dublin, so don't expect it to ever really come to you unless you're in a very large town. This will only be ever aimed at largely urban areas so don't read this thread and get your hopes up unless thats were you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

im about 1km from summerhill so should be able to get a high speed

This really isn't available to many people outside of Dublin, so don't expect it to ever really come to you unless you're in a very large town. This will only be ever aimed at largely urban areas so don't read this thread and get your hopes up unless thats were you live.

List is covered here - http://www.btireland.ie/llu_exchanges.shtml

Funny thing is Kilkenny is on it but Waterford isn't yet apparently Waterford is larger then Kilkenny...strange :D

Infact Kilkenny is on it twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

I'm not surprised that Waterford is not being upgraded. We have always been the little boy that Santa forgets each year. Kilkenny needs high speed internet so as their spy cams can broadcast footage of the Waterford hurlers training sessions to them. It's the only they can keep up with us.

Blindpew wrote: »
    Kilkenny needs high speed internet so as their spy cams can broadcast footage of the Waterford hurlers training sessions to them. It's the only they can keep up with us.
    Dan Shanahan in HD :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Blindpew wrote: »
    I'm not surprised that Waterford is not being upgraded. We have always been the little boy that Santa forgets each year. Kilkenny needs high speed internet so as their spy cams can broadcast footage of the Waterford hurlers training sessions to them. It's the only they can keep up with us.

I am not 100% sure but I think waterford will be upgraded in a near future, and I dont mean years but months...

Maybe the reason of the delay is that they are scared of making their 24 mb service accessible to blindpew!!!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭tomdadude

Never mind Waterford.Cork is bigger again and only 2 exchanges are being upgraded and those exchanges aren't part of the city.

tomdadude wrote: »
    Never mind Waterford.Cork is bigger again and only 2 exchanges are being upgraded and those exchanges aren't part of the city.
    Probably a reason behind that, something like BT fiber trunk close by or something.

is the fibre backbone not owned by ESB iirc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's got to do with space in the exchange and all the other usual LLU barriers, the connectivity BT have to the exchange and how old the particular DSLAM is.

In particular, they might have planned to do work on their equipment anyway and decided to upgrade the exchanges according to their upgrade schedule.

They've upgraded Navan, yet the fibre for that probably follows the train line from Drogheda. The Drogheda (and Dundalk I think) exchanges are on the old Esat LLU from 6 years ago. Assuming I'm right about the fibre, there's more to BT's rollout than fibre connectivity and size of exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Bohrio wrote: »
    I am not 100% sure but I think waterford will be upgraded in a near future, and I dont mean years but months...

Maybe the reason of the delay is that they are scared of making their 24 mb service accessible to blindpew!!!! ;)

They need not worry, I have signed up with NTL since last night. I even bought a new 1000gb hard drive today so as I'll be ready for action when they turn me on. I hope they do it soon as then I'll have BT and Ntl until the end of september.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

How do you find out what exchage you are on?

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Mikebyrne

EireEV wrote: »
    How do you find out what exchage you are on?

I was just about to ask the same question

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

smart telecom line checker is the quickest way .

Galway and Waterford are off BTs radar , bastids .

So the 24Mb only applies to the exchanges with ADSL2+ Upgrade?

Mikebyrne wrote: »
    So the 24Mb only applies to the exchanges with ADSL2+ Upgrade?
    Only exchanges with BT's adsl2+ upgrade. Not eircom's adsl2+.

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Only exchanges with BT's adsl2+ upgrade. Not eircom's adsl2+.

Is there any dates on future upgrades?

Mikebyrne wrote: »
    Is there any dates on future upgrades?
    Some coming soons on the list of exchanges Here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

so much for there unlimited usage, I have just been throttled :mad: and I am on there LLU 24meg package in Swords (syncing at 12 down 1 up). I have only d/loaded 60GBs and upped 40GBs and all my usage occurs between 12 midnight and 8 in the morning so I dont effect any other users. What a shower of incompetent idiots.

Bye bye BT

Hello UPC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement