Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Video: Fiat 500 vs Audi Q7 in a crash test

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

You're probably right to a certain degree Biro, maybe Audi should do this (I'm by no means an Audi fan).
    You could probably put that question to Fiat as well. There's plenty of SUV's on the road and maybe Fiat should increase the weight of their horrible little cars.. :P

I mean, it's all well and good running into a concrete wall that's stationery, because the damage is directly related to the energy you're bringing into the collision. That's why such light cars can get good NCAP ratings, but then get absolutely obliterated when they hit an oncoming car because they're shunted backwards while the heavier car (this would obviously depend somewhat on speed of each car on impact too) uses the Fiat as a cushion almost, to slowly push through it.

Don't get me wrong, as far as running into stationery objects goes, I would feel safe enough in the Fiat... but that's the extent of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Vertakill wrote: »
    You're probably right to a certain degree Biro, maybe Audi should do this (I'm by no means an Audi fan).
    You could probably put that question to Fiat as well. There's plenty of SUV's on the road and maybe Fiat should increase the weight of their horrible little cars.. :P

I mean, it's all well and good running into a concrete wall that's stationery, because the damage is directly related to the energy you're bringing into the collision. That's why such light cars can get good NCAP ratings, but then get absolutely obliterated when they hit an oncoming car because they're shunted backwards while the heavier car (this would obviously depend somewhat on speed of each car on impact too) uses the Fiat as a cushion almost, to slowly push through it.

Don't get me wrong, as far as running into stationery objects goes, I would feel safe enough in the Fiat... but that's the extent of it.
    More weight is bad though! Still... I reckon if I were in a 500 Abarth, I'd have more of a hope of steering out of the way of an accident than if I were in the Q7! Probably stops quicker too!
    Prevention is better than Protection!

Well, I'm not a physics expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd personally prefer to travel through the obstacle rather than getting bounced back off of it. I think you'd do the latter in a lightweight car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Vertakill wrote: »
    Well, I'm not a physics expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd personally prefer to travel through the obstacle rather than getting bounced back off of it. I think you'd do the latter in a lightweight car.

Yep, but steering around the object is better again!

Hehe, this is true. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement