Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From the examiner

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just felt like it, you playing ball this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Off topic - I'm reporting!!! :D

I can't stop thinking about this debate all day! I'm just really concerned that people can't see how dangerous it is to start letting those kind of terms slip into normal discourse, like football matches, and no one challenging them.

Villain - I accept you don't think that word was acceptable - thanks for clarifying that. Where I disagree with you and with stick-dan is where you guys say that racist abuse is equally bad as other types of abuse, cause I think its worse.

For eg. if you were to call me a fat cow or stuck-up b**** - I would think that ok you are abusing me but least you see me as an individual or an equal in some way - and I could respond to that and give as good as I get back. When you use a racist term - you aren't even giving the person the respect of seeing them as an equal human being - they are "just a n****** like the rest of them" etc. They are just up against a brick wall.

I'm involved in community work and I have seen how a small but significant proportion of people here in Carlow want absolutely nothing to do with people with dark skin. Even when they just want to volunteer on something or help out fundraising or something like that. I find it really disgusting - and I'm not saying that anyone here shares their views, but if you allow racist abuse to go unchecked you are letting that sector of the Carlow population think that their outlook is shared.

"Its when the good people do nothing that evil will flourish..."

The whole problem is though its not just Carlow, this thing happens all around the country but the media have jumped in on one innocent and protrayed the county in a bad light.

It was 4 or 5 young thugs shouting the abuse not the whole of Carlow, the abuse was wrong but it was wrong before they used the N word its just people seem to accept that now.

It was 4 or 5 thugs and everyone standing around them laughing at them, saying nothing. And what I was trying to say above is that it is a bigger problem in Carlow than you may realise or like to admit.

And I'm wondering why you brought up all the stuff about what age he is, and what his passport says and how the locals have some angle on the story that is not in the media?

The best way for the whole of Carlow to show that that type of abuse is not accepted here or typical here to just denounce it straight out - its wrong, end of story.

Instead, I keep hearing things like - "ah, you don't know the full story" and "there is more to that now, than is in the papers" and other similar comments (this is people I've been talking to) - like there might be some kind of justification for it.

Anyway - I've been going off GAA for a while now because of all the thuggery at matches - both on & off the field! I used to find it funny! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

shay, i want it...

nah kiddin well sorta. I want a carlow moderator i made no secret of that.

but seriously i just wrote that reply cos i thought the lads were gonna start to virtual B1T(h slap each other :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Villain wrote: »
    Just felt like it, you playing ball this year?

Yeah, training tonight. Can't wait!! Ya coming?

Nah Reitred hung up the boots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭patrickc

can we keep the off topic talk to the random waffle thread, makes it more enjoyable to read threads when there related to the topic..

Villain wrote: »
    Nah Reitred hung up the boots

at your age? What? why? Cop the F**K on !!!

ShayK1 wrote: »
    at your age? What? why? Cop the F**K on !!!

Ah building a GAF, too busy

Jees patrickc chillax

• Advertisement

:D They lost the argument, so they changed the subject.....

patrickc wrote: »
    can we keep the off topic talk to the random waffle thread, makes it more enjoyable to read threads when there related to the topic..

+1

:D:D

Whoever thought of the random waffle thread must be dead proud :D

They didn't lose the arguement to be fair it was very promising and enlightening to some of the insights of people in carlow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I would feel sorry for the chap but he's an absolute little s**t.
    Nothing but trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I honeslty can believe this you people are just pissing me off wait till I get one of the lads. Keep making things worse. The kid won't do anything but you people just keep building his hatred up ok.

say what now?

RealistSpy wrote: »
    I honeslty can believe this you people are just pissing me off wait till I get one of the lads. Keep making things worse. The kid won't do anything but you people just keep building his hatred up ok.

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

ClioV6 wrote: »
    I would feel sorry for the chap but he's an absolute little s**t.
    Nothing but trouble.

What the hell is that all about?
    What trouble has he caused? The guy is a nice kid, trying his best to integrate by playin with Eire Og. He happens to be really good at it too.
    And hopefully in a few years we'll see him in a Carlow jersey representing us all. Bet you'd hate that wouldn't you!?

Stevecw wrote: »
    What trouble has he caused? The guy is a nice kid,

Emm I think you need to do a little more research.

PS. I am not saying the racist comments were right in anyway.

RealistSpy wrote: »
    wait till I get one of the lads

eh? What the hell does that mean? Are you making threats?

This thread looks awfully like a thread that could be heading towards defamation of someones character.. We all wanna just let this go? It can only get heated.

• Advertisement

Stevecw wrote: »
    What the hell is that all about?
    What trouble has he caused? The guy is a nice kid, trying his best to integrate by playin with Eire Og. He happens to be really good at it too.
    And hopefully in a few years we'll see him in a Carlow jersey representing us all. Bet you'd hate that wouldn't you!?

I couldn't care less if he played for Ireland in soccer tbh.

All I KNOW is he is NOT a nice kid.

I don't condone the behavior at all, but I would wager a lot of money that the reason the abuse came on wasn't because of his skin colour and only his skin colour.

(edited out some of the reasons there. I'll say no more)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

I couldn't care less if he played for Ireland in soccer tbh.

All I KNOW is he is NOT a nice kid.

I don't condone the behavior at all, but I would wager a lot of money that the reason the abuse came on wasn't because of his skin colour and only his skin colour.

(edited out some of the reasons there. I'll say no more)

Yeh but nice or not nice it still doesn't justify the language. How would you feel if it was your kid play soccer in england and some people screeming at him "kill the Irish C***,Break the Padd** legs.

Its on called for.

If my child acted like this kid does I'd send him back to Ireland.

Probably was a bit harsh on him.
    Do you even know the kid? or how he goes on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

If my child acted like this kid does I'd send him back to Ireland.

Probably was a bit harsh on him.
    Do you even know the kid? or how he goes on?

Im genuinely curious, but, do you?

I do indeed.
    I've had several confrontations with him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ClioV6; I dont like the direction your heading with your posts. Regardless of how this fella behaves (or any person) it does not give anybody the right to make racist remarks towards him. End of conversation on that point.

This topic is not about the player, its about the racist remarks being made against him. Lets not talk about how good or poor the player is, or how well behaved he is.

Stick to the topic. This applies to everyone. Some of you need to look back over the forum charter and needs to remember how to behave appropriately on an internet forum me thinks.

Advertisement