Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Ikea says M50 upgrade will delay Dublin opening

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

xt40 wrote: »
    all this talk of upgrading the 50 is rubbish.
    ive been in the belfast ikea a good few times and have worked in that area regularly for the past 5 years. i have never noticed any difference in the traffic on the sydenham bypass. for anyone who weants a comparison, id say its about as busy as b&Q in liffey valley.

Agree. Probably very busy for the first week then no more as you say than liffey valley from then on.

If anyone looks at the average daily traffic on the M50 (probably above 100,000 cars now), looks at IKEAs expectation of 2.75 million visitors per year (7,500 average per day) Not all these will be in their own car and because of the long opening hours not everyone will be arriving at the same time.

So I dont see how bigger an impact this will make than your average B+Q to be honest. Certainly not after the first weeks opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

As a result, the Belfast store is the largest in the UK.

Is it ?

It didn't seem that big to me , I thought the one in Wembley seemed bigger but it could be perception

When B&Q opened in Liffey Valley it caused traffic chaos for about 2 weeks, then every weekend for about 2 months. Now its never that busy.

I was in IKEA in Belfast a couple of times over the past 3-4 weekends , it seemed quite quiet to me, much less busy than the one in Wembley which at the weekend is just horrible .

Anyway roll on the M50 being finished, I had to pick someone up from the airport the other day , when we got home ( Celbridge ) they made a comment along the lines of ' is there nothing but roadworks here ( M50 /M50/N4 interchange /N4/Newcastle rd interchange ).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

markpb wrote: »
    They were granted planning permission on the specific understanding that the M50 would be upgraded. If memory serves, they even offered to pay for the part of the upgrade that applies to them but were turned down.

As far as I know, money isn't the issue in speeding up the works. Keeping 2 lanes open in each direction for the duration of the works is what's causing it to take a long time. In order to speed up the process they'd need to close off the M50 around Ballymun and that would cause chaos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Is it ?

It didn't seem that big to me , I thought the one in Wembley seemed bigger but it could be perception

That's what was reported in the media. I've been in 2 in England and the Belfast ones and they are all so large that I couldn't compare them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

xt40 wrote: »
    all this talk of upgrading the 50 is rubbish.
    ive been in the belfast ikea a good few times and have worked in that area regularly for the past 5 years. i have never noticed any difference in the traffic on the sydenham bypass. for anyone who weants a comparison, id say its about as busy as b&Q in liffey valley.

You should become a planner. Clearly they dont know what they are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

The OP's article is nonse. In Ikea's planning permission was the condition that the M50 had to be complete in order for them to open their store. It's totally their own fault for building the structure to a different timetable to the M50.
    They're acting like the NRA messed up, when it's themselves.

I hate this corporate hand wringing ("What's the government going to do for *us*.")

Advertisement