Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

30 years prison in Cork cocaine trial!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Judges in this country are a weird bunch.

30 years?!?! More than murder?!?! ****in' hell... joke of a system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yep, 30 years for drug smuggling, and lesser sentences being doled out to those who commit murder and rape - what an utter joke.

That prison sentence seems to be plucked from the Joe Duffy Listeners and Evening Herald Readers Book of Justice - i.e. based in reality and proportionate to the crime it is not. But "tis de drugs Joe" so no punishment is great enough. It really does reek of that whole kneejerk culture surrounding drugs and paedophilia.

Those guys are probably serious scumbags but their sentences must still be such an insult to rape survivors and those who have lost loved ones to homicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Dudess wrote: »
    Yep, 30 years for drug smuggling, and lesser sentences being doled out to those who commit murder and rape - what an utter joke.

That prison sentence seems to be plucked from the Joe Duffy Listeners and Evening Herald Readers Book of Justice - i.e. based in reality and proportionate to the crime it is not. But "tis de drugs Joe" so no punishment is great enough. It really does reek of that whole kneejerk culture surrounding drugs and paedophilia.

Those guys are probably serious scumbags but their sentences must still be such an insult to rape survivors and those who have lost loved ones to homicide.

your last statement doesn't tally with the rest of your post.How many of those rapists were high or had a drug addiction?Same for the murderers.Plus how many murders are commited for drugs?I'm not a lawyer and i doubt you or anyone else complaining about this sentence is either,but theres no getting away from the fact that an awful lot of crimes are directly and indirectly related to drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

your last statement doesn't tally with the rest of your post.How many of those rapists were high or had a drug addiction?Same for the murderers.Plus how many murders are commited for drugs?I'm not a lawyer and i doubt you or anyone else complaining about this sentence is either,but theres no getting away from the fact that an awful lot of crimes are directly and indirectly related to drugs.

Well I'd argue that the fact that the drugs are illegal has a huge amount to do with the crime that surrounds them. How much violent crime did the ban on alcohol in chicago cause in the 20's and 30's? Did that get better or worse when alcohol was un-prohibited? Was it better or worse before it was prohibited? I think its far more likely that such stiff sentences are handed down for offences of trading illegal drugs because that is a huge chunk of money which is not going to be accumulating tax for the gouvernment. They can't get thier pound of flesh for other peoples hard work so they sure as hell are going take thier petty revenge every chance they get.

I could fill the Grand Canyon with what I don't know about the law but shouldn't the crime alone, and not what it could potentially lead to, be taken into account when passing sentence?

• Advertisement

I could fill the Grand Canyon with what I don't know about the law but shouldn't the crime alone, and not what it could potentially lead to, be taken into account when passing sentence?

i think the crime was taken into account-importing drugs with intent to supply surely?Unless you think they were unfairly punished i don't see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dave_Hasselhoff

Lol. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Good riddance to drug dealers - 30 years is fair for this mob

i think the crime was taken into account-importing drugs with intent to supply surely?Unless you think they were unfairly punished i don't see the problem.
    Yeah sure, but the crime wasn't "importing drugs with intent to supply which could lead to murder, rape and GBH".

Yeah sure, but the crime wasn't "importing drugs with intent to supply which could lead to murder, rape and GBH".

so?Isn't intent to supply enough?It must be if you don't think the sentence is too much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

So what do you want? - judges to reduce their sentences to the lowest denominator or judges to increase their sentences to the highest denominator?

If it is the former, you have just done that and you want sentences reduced. If it is the latter, why are you whining that these guys got 30 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kiss the Girls

These three guys won the unlucky bastards of the year award. 100 million or a 100 billion in blow, the most they were going to get paid was 20 thousand a piece. The guys making the real money don't touch or get near any of the drugs. Giving them a stiff sentence does nothing, because there are plenty of desperate people out there to take their place. The cost of locking these guys up for three decades is a waste of money. The big guys make one hell of a profit given the cost of cocaine in South America compared to the streets of Dublin( you think that was their only shipment) and they will sucker another set of fools to follow behind these guys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I wonder if they paid by PayPal?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

These three guys won the unlucky bastards of the year award. .

Bull. You make your own luck.

For instance, I can safley say I'll never be caught trying to smuggle €100m worth of drugs into the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

taidghbaby wrote: »
    bastardos.....bringing criminality into my country :rolleyes:

i for one would like to welcome our new bastardos overlords!

Advertisement