Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats with all the flying ants about today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

If anyone wanted, they could easily make a cute little ant farm with one of these queens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

womoma wrote: »
    If anyone wanted, they could easily make a cute little ant farm with one of these queens.

That would defy "nature". Anyway, why would you want to?

To observe their behaviour.

Captive ant farms can also be successfully integrated into the wild at a later stage, so you could be doing ants/nature a favour.

To observe their behaviour.

Captive ant farms can also be successfully integrated into the wild at a later stage, so you could be doing ants/nature a favour.

Survival of the fittest eh? :rolleyes:

Saying something and putting a face at the end but not actually making a point:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Ahhh, the annual After Hours Flying Ants thread. Summertime has truly arrived.

I for one welcome our new insect overlords... etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭kirving

There was a load around today!

Theyre coming earlier and earlier each year, look at the dates in the similar threads bit at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I <3 ant day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Happened to me tonight - they started emerging from behind the skirting in the living room.

Nuked em all with a few squirts of Nippon.

*BAM*

Antocide...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

i call them

FLANTS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

i thought it was a mediocre performance by our flying ant friends.. last year they corageously attacked a pizza man as he tried to make his way through a tornado of them at my front door - this year there wasn't one in sight out my way.. saw a few in town before i went home but nothing out here - i'm disappointed they weren't here-even though i find them really freaky. There's nothing quite like the skin crawling feeling that a horde of flying ants hovering outside your door can give you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

There was a load around today!

Theyre coming earlier and earlier each year, look at the dates in the similar threads bit at the bottom.

global warming people

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

there were freaking hundreds of them on O'Connell Street (Dublin) last night near the traffic lights at super macs

and they are all over finglas, horrible little feckers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If you think the flying ants are nasty you should see the ones we had in Africa. They're an inch long and come out during the rainy season. They get EVERYWHERE! and they're huge.

But they taste great roasted on a fire. Local delicacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I hate them.

I hate them. I hate them. I hate them.

They freak me out no end. I have no idea why, they're no different to flies but I cannot stand them. When I was walking home yesterday I looked down and saw I was standing in a huge gathering of them (I hope I killed a few females). I spent the whole walk home with my eyes fixed firmly on the ground and periodically yelping and leaping to the side if one came near me and scremaing slightly when one landed on me.

I must have looked like a total nutter coming home from work.

It was so warm I wanted to take my jumper off but I was to scared of one landing on me.

When I got home I was all panicky and told my mum about how horrible it is and then she pointed out one on me and I freaked out ahnd scremed at her to get it off me.

When I was about to go to the gym I almost chickened out and didn't leave the house cos when I opened the door I saw them all flying. I wouldn't even step on them because the thought of getting one on my shoe disgusted me.

Thankfully I chilled out a bit at the gym, the endorphins or something must have calmed me down because I was alright walking home, just a bit edgy. It had cooled down a bit too so they'd scuttled back to their lairs. This morning was also grand because it wasn't warm enough for them to come out, I'm seriously dreading the walk back home though :(

If only we had a really hard frost (-5 degrees!) just tonight to kill them off.

There's absolutely no reason for them to freak me out at much ads they do, but they do! Walking home from the gym I kept reasoning it out in my head "they're only ants, you can brush them off, all they can do is bite you and you have cream and anti-histamine at home". That helped somewhat.

faceman wrote: »
    If you think the flying ants are nasty you should see the ones we had in Africa. They're an inch long and come out during the rainy season. They get EVERYWHERE! and they're huge.

But they taste great roasted on a fire. Local delicacy.

Jesus Christ.

Never going to Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Had never heard of any of this before, or witnessed it, but was in Bushy Park yesterday evening and it was unreal, the little fvckers were everywhere! Was like something from a horror movie. Just thought they were midges...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I really hate them but it was hilarious to look at people running down the road waving their arms like lunatics.

Will there be more today because if so I am getting the bus. I really hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

irishbird wrote: »
    there were freaking hundreds of them on O'Connell Street (Dublin) last night near the traffic lights at super macs

and they are all over finglas, horrible little feckers

They where probably waiting for the nightlink :pac:, there gone back to Finglas thanks fook.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I refuse to open those ¬.¬

In work

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Flying ants are truly spawn of Hell.

Jesus, flying ant day has it's own entry on Wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_ant_day

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

ahh flying ant day, nearly as good as big fast wolf spider week in Oct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

0ubliette wrote: »
    i call them

FLANTS

As does wikipedia

i thought someone was just making a funny comment when they said "flying ant day" but it is actually a recognised term.

jayteecork wrote: »
    Flying ants are truly spawn of Hell.

Jesus, flying ant day has it's own entry on Wikipedia.

Um, yes, we know?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Well excuuuuuuse me.
    Not my fault if I'm too lazy to read the entire thread.

Saying something and putting a face at the end but not actually making a point:rolleyes:

What i mean is that you are disturbing their natural habitat. Did you see the seagull all around gobbling up the females today :p Nature should be left alone. If birds need their food, allow them to eat the bloody feckers. Those which survive will have enough offspring for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

they were pretty crazy indeed. took me a sec to realise what all those things floating about outside were. I hid inside :)

thx for the nature info... though i don't think i needed to know that much about the ants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

i dont see what all the fuss is about......just go get yourselves a 'flying ant-eater'!!

http://www.ivtools.org/ivtools/aaron.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

Yeah I saw one in a txi today,,,,they're huge! They looked like bullet ants.

Was in clifden the june bank holiday, it was swarmed with beetles. They were viscious, and bit everyone.

Like Mayor Quimby would do, Just release 1,000's of ant eaters to kill them off, then something bigger to get rid of the ant-eaters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

MOH wrote: »
    As does wikipedia

Um, yes, we know?

why dont you just go ****ing marry wikipedia if you love it so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Madam is watching...
    Swarms of flying ants signify arrival of the summer of love

SWARMS OF flying ants, which have been observed in recent days, are merely engaging in their annual mating rituals and do not represent a danger to people, according to a Trinity College Dublin entomologist.

Sightings of large numbers of the common black garden ant - or Lasius Niger - have been reported in the Dublin area in particular, although experts say their prevalence depends on localised weather conditions.

The ants have disturbed the tranquillity of parks and gardens in the capital and elsewhere.

There have even been reports on an internet discussion board of them causing people to flee Bushy Park in Terenure, south Dublin, in an excited fashion on Monday evening.

People should rest assured, however, that the ants are less interested in humans at this time than in each other, Dr Mark Brown of Trinity College's zoology department has pointed out.

The ants have suddenly begun mating because of a recent rise in temperature coupled with an increase in humidity, he explained. The males, indeed, have been waiting some weeks for the opportunity provided by the emergence of the females now that weather conditions are right.

The swarms occur when the male and female ants conjugate. Eventually the females will drop to the ground when tired of conjugating - it would be unusual if they mated with more than three partners - and break off their wings before seeking somewhere comfortable to nest, explained Dr Brown.

The female will take part in the ritual just once in her lifetime, but will retain sperm in her body, releasing it on an annual basis when she lays fertilised eggs. Over her lifetime she can have between 1,000 and 10,000 offspring.

The future for the males after the ritual mating swarm is not so rosy, however, as they waste away and die within a few days.

"Like bees, I am afraid the males are little more than flying receptacles for sperm," said Dr Brown.

Asked if there was a way the society of ants could be avoided - particularly indoors - Dr Brown said the best way to stop them getting into a house was simply to block up their access routes.

"There was a famous entomologist called Ed Wilson who was asked what he would do if ants got into his house.

"He replied 'I would watch them', which I think is good advice - they are fascinating," he added.

Those who have been bothered by the ants in recent days should take comfort from an assurance by Dr Karl Magnacca, a colleague of Dr Brown's at Trinity College.

He said swarms that last a day or two are very unlikely to occur in the same place twice.

© 2008 The Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2008/0724/1216741027887.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement