Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats with all the flying ants about today

Options
  • 22-07-2008 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

they're everywhere! what the ****s going on? they just appeared today

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Jesus, is it flying ant day already?

What have I been doing all summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Hiding from the cold damp wet outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭COH

they're everywhere! what the ****s going on? they just appeared today

Time to get the old can of lynx and a lighter out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Celtic Lion

Phlann wrote: »
    Jesus, is it flying ant day already?

What have I been doing all summer?

yeah you laugh now punk, but we'll see if your still laughing when they are crawling up your arsehole

Oh yeah. Forgot about that.

edit: the cold and damp, I mean. not the ants in my arsehole. Although I've tried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,040 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ffs - DUBLIN FORUM!!!!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Muggy relatively dry day so up come the ants. A lot less than last year though. Wish I was on a river tonight, trout bloody luv em.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Ffs - DUBLIN FORUM!!!!

Flying ant day is national, not local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I'm going to back up the lynx+lighter approach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

I for one welcome our new ant overlords and remind them that as a member of the media I would be an invalubale source for rounding up people to work in their underground sugar caves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

How have I lived my whole life without seeing these things?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Muggy relatively dry day so up come the ants. A lot less than last year though. Wish I was on a river tonight, trout bloody luv em.

would they go for any fly if they are going mad eating?I have a barely used fly rod and a few unknowns,i'd nearly pop out for a bit if i thought i had a chance. @terry:nature and dublin don't mix,thats why.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Terry wrote: »
    How have I lived my whole life without seeing these things?

Wow, we have a poster on boards who is less than a year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Yeah, little feckers kept hitting me in the face as I cycled home from work this evening. They're everywhere!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Why, where you counting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

I had about a billion of them on my windscreen today (ok, about 20) and when I opened the door more flew into the car...THEN I was driving along ond one little fooker fell from the mirror thing onto my lap.

Not fricken impressed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

ehhh ... no, not all trouts do ... some of us just like steak and beer, and maybe a few jaffa cakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

They were all over the bus today, lost Spanish freaking out. Amusing.

would they go for any fly if they are going mad eating?I have a barely used fly rod and a few unknowns,i'd nearly pop out for a bit if i thought i had a chance. @terry:nature and dublin don't mix,thats why.
    Leixlip is not in Dublin.
    Where I live is close to the Royal Canal, two rivers and a stream.
    There are lots of fields too.
    I live in a nice place.
    Flukey wrote: »
    Wow, we have a poster on boards who is less than a year old.

Mental age, yes. The rest of me is 32 and I have perfect eyesight.

Pics or GTFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Is that what they are ? I noticed lots of odd looking fly things alright everywhere on my walk to the car after work. they were everywhere on the path ! i never noticed them before.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    Leixlip is not in Dublin. Where I live is close to the Royal Canal, two rivers and a stream. There are lots of fields too. I live in a nice place. Mental age, yes. The rest of me is 32 and I have perfect eyesight. Pics or GTFO.
    aw i didn't know that,we could've gone knacker drinking by the canal when i was at nuim.Oh well.Speaking of maynooth,i'm sure i've seen flying ants there.Its not far from leixlip.Do you go outside terry?

aw i didn't know that,we could've gone knacker drinking by the canal when i was at nuim.Oh well.Speaking of maynooth,i'm sure i've seen flying ants there.Its not far from leixlip.Do you go outside terry?
    No, I generally don't leave the house, except to go to the shops or to my friend's house.
    However, as I'm in my friend's house now and his nephew is staying here tonight, I'll ask the nephew when he gets back if he has seen them. He down near the stream with his friends. Probably smoking weed or something. He's that age don't you know.

While it seems that they must be communicating to all come out together, it is actually down to temperature and other environmental conditions that triggers them to come out. It is always on humid and days when there is little or no wind. It usually happens several times during the summer. There are also some other good reasons for them to come out together. There is more chance of them mating with so many around. There is a greater chance that some will survive and found new nests, and with so many there is less chance of the predators getting them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Josiah Bartlett

How long do they say around for. I havent seen these buggers before.

Basically it will just be for the evening, but we are likely to have the same thing happen on a few other days over the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

They're mating. They mate in flight, and when they're done the female (big one) lands, tears off her wings, and then goes looking for a place to hibernate and lay eggs for next summer.

If you're in your garden or house over the next few days, and see a big ant, with no wings, walking about your kitchen or on your front or back path, kill it, it's an impregnated female looking for a suitable nest site. It will save you the hassle of having to deal with hundreds of them coming into your kitchen next summer if they have started a nest in your wall cavity. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Flying Ants?

Can't say I have ever heard of them. Let alone see one.

How long do they say around for. I havent seen these buggers before.
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Flying Ants?

Can't say I have ever heard of them. Let alone see one.

See. I'm not the only one.
    Granted one of the others is stalking Dubya, but still...

It happens every year, several times, and the threads about them always appear here too. So I don't know where you guys have been.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

marcsignal wrote: »
    They're mating. They mate in flight, and when they're done the female (big one) lands, tears off her wings, and then goes looking for a place to hibernate and lay eggs for next summer.

If you're in your garden or house over the next few days, and see a big ant, with no wings, walking about your kitchen or on your front or back path, kill it, it's an impregnated female looking for a suitable nest site. It will save you the hassle of having to deal with hundreds of them coming into your kitchen next summer if they have started a nest in your wall cavity. ;)

So your advocating killing females who are preggers? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement