Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Fotish

paddy19 wrote: »
    "•After 7 days, submit a complaint to the airline.
    •After 6 weeks, if you do not receive a satisfactory response to your complaint, escalate it to a National Enforcement Body that deals with flight rights"

I have no time for waiting for 6 weeks!
    This where the EU regulation requires a refund within 7 days.
    Ryanair have made it clear that they don't intend to pay a cash refund until Covid has abated in MOLs view.

This 6 week requirement is crazy but has some tiny justification if it is a complex issue which requires airline to investigate.

Here Ryanair have made there position clear on their website
    so go straight to CAR or the SCC.

Real danger that Heather Humphreys will bring in some half assed bill which will confuse everybody
    and you will be left with a voucher loan to Ryanair with crappy conditions.

If Heather Humphreys brings in a Bill, it can hardly be used retrospectively.
    Ryanair promised refunds , they are legally obliged to honour their promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

Fotish wrote: »
    If Heather Humphreys brings in a Bill, it can hardly be used retrospectively.
    Ryanair promised refunds , they are legally obliged to honour their promise.

Oh yes it can be effectively retrospective.

"they are legally obliged to honour their promise" but the question is when.
    7 Days under EU261, god only knows how long Heather would give them, probably 12 months.

Emergency legislation could make all consumer debt payable in a voucher instead of refunding cash.

That's what the Greeks did.

Don't think it can't happen here!

Their would then be a conflict between EU261 and local legislation
    and you know how long the lawyers take to clarify anything in the best of times.

Can you imagine how long it will take with the Covid as an excuse for delays?

If you want your cash back get thee hence immediately to court of small claims.

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/0/F9B49A71A85F662C802580B100635032

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have a flight for June booked to Italy and I don’t want to go anymore. How much do they charge for me to change the flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have a flight for June booked to Italy and I don’t want to go anymore. How much do they charge for me to change the flight?

I think If you hold out and don't check in until a week before then Ryanair might cancel the flight and allow you to change the date ...you can then get a refund/voucher or change the date for free depending on their policy for June...

If you have travel insurance with extenuating circumstances you may be able to claim on this if they cancel the flight...
    If ryanair don't change their policy to include June and you don't want the flight you may not get any money back ...
    : )

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

limabromac wrote: »
    I think If you hold out and don't check in until a week before then Ryanair might cancel the flight and allow you to change the date ...you can then get a refund/voucher or change the date for free depending on their policy for June...

If you have travel insurance with extenuating circumstances you may be able to claim on this if they cancel the flight...
    If ryanair don't change their policy to include June and you don't want the flight you may not get any money back ...
    : )

I'm in the same boat. Have flights booked for June to Spain but have no intention of going. The flights are showing as 'live' in my booking section on the Ryanair website and check-in is open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

Salvadoor wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Have flights booked for June to Spain but have no intention of going. The flights are showing as 'live' in my booking section on the Ryanair website and check-in is open.

My advice would be to not check in...wait until ryanair release their cancellation policy for June which will include a change of flight (for free) (the change fee is free, the flight might be a diff price) ....

If they cancel they will offer a flight change,refund/voucher...

If you don't want to go and they don't cancel the flight and you don't have extenuating circumstances insurance then you will lose your money as the flight is still going..

joeysoap wrote: »
    Avant won’t give me a cashback until Ryanair are back to ‘normal’ and won’t refund me. Said details of my claim are now on record and just contact them then. Kicking the cab down the road but she did say I would get it then. Don’t really believe her though. Bit like Ryanair.

Posted from another thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyouup View Post
    Just noticed these terms on AIB's for for processing charge backs

Thanks for the update funkyouup.

In fairness, AIB have got their act together and are upfront with consumers
    the rest of the banks are all over the place.

https://www.aviationreg.ie/news/regulation-ec-2612004-guidance-note-on-flight-cancellations-refunds-and-vouchers.962.html

What a pathetic statement from the regulator.

The airlines must feel they been savaged by a dead sheep.

Translated:

Dear Michael, Willie and other Airline Chiefs,
    You all know about this EU regulation that requires you to issue cash refunds within 7 days
    but we are happy to let you ignore it because you are very busy.

Very few planes flying mind you but I'm sure you still have lots to be doing.

We know that you have get your staff to hand process each and every refund request to see if there is
    any way you can weasel your way out of giving those annoying passengers back their own money.

We know that you have large computers lying idle that could automatically process the refund requests in 72 hours
    but don't bother using them. We understand that you would much rather be hoodwinking passengers
    into accepting vouchers with terms and conditions that give you the best chance of getting money for nothing.

Don't worry about us bothering you because we won't touch a passenger complaint for at least 6 weeks.
    You can then take your time looking at it and sure it will be six months before we know where we are.

With any luck you'll have flogged a load of the auld vouchers to those passenger mugs.

Keeping messing the passengers around, sure we'll have your back.

Yours sincerely

Your Friendly Regulator

"The Regulation requires an airline to pay a refund within 7 days when this option is chosen. We acknowledge the unprecedented disruption that COVID 19 has caused to the aviation sector and those working in it, the high volume of calls that airlines are dealing with and the absolute need to safeguard the welfare of staff. We appreciate that this timeline can be challenging in the current environment.

If you have opted for but do not receive a refund, you can submit a complaint to the airline. If you do not receive a satisfactory response from the airline, or no response within 6 weeks of making your complaint, you can escalate the matter to us on www.flightrights.ie for flights that were meant to depart out of Ireland."

https://www.aviationreg.ie/news/regulation-ec-2612004-guidance-note-on-flight-cancellations-refunds-and-vouchers.962.html

What a pathetic statement from the regulator.

The airlines must feel they been savaged by a dead sheep

."

.....what a strange analogy??

If a sheep is dead how can it savage anything? And usually the poor sheep is savaged by a dog until it's dead. I can't concentrate on the argument in the post because this analogy is wrecking my head :D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

.....what a strange analogy??

If a sheep is dead how can it savage anything? And usually the poor sheep is savaged by a dog until it's dead. I can't concentrate on the argument in the post because this analogy is wrecking my head :D:D

Its a quote
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/oct/03/denis-healeys-10-most-celebrated-quotes-former-labour-chancellor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I just received my voucher, I feel so honoured.

Lets see how chargeback goes with my UK bank.

Edit - claim submit to bank

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Just to let people know, in case they're in a similar position. My original flights are still scheduled to fly so no chance of a refund. However I was allowed to change my flights. I noticed FR weren't flying to my location Tues-Thurs (my original flights were at the weekend).

I used the free change to move my flights to the following Tues-Thurs, chancing my arm that they would cancel those flights.

They did. So now to join the battle for a cash refund instead of vouchers.

Wheety wrote: »

Can I modestly suggest my guide to help you get your money back?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Wheety wrote: »
    Just to let people know, in case they're in a similar position. My original flights are still scheduled to fly so no chance of a refund. However I was allowed to change my flights. I noticed FR weren't flying to my location Tues-Thurs (my original flights were at the weekend).

I used the free change to move my flights to the following Tues-Thurs, chancing my arm that they would cancel those flights.

If they weren't flying Tue-Thu, how were you able to move your flights to those days? Or had you noticed they'd cancelled one week's Tue-Thu and figured they'd eventually cancel the next week's too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

p15574 wrote: »
    If they weren't flying Tue-Thu, how were you able to move your flights to those days? Or had you noticed they'd cancelled one week's Tue-Thu and figured they'd eventually cancel the next week's too?

Yeah, I could have explained a bit further. They're just doing rolling cancellations. As you say, I noticed that for April they weren't flying to my destination midweek but were still operating at the weekend. My flight was still scheduled in May to fly and I noticed that the Tues-Thurs after it were still available to book. I presumed the cancellations would continue into May and luckily I was right. They only announced today about the futher cuts so I received a refund email.

Might be a work around for people whose flights are still operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Telly

I got my Ryanair cancellation email for Tenerife on the 10th May and it was all very straight forward. Once i put in my info and hit send i got a message saying the refund will be in my account in 20 working days. Now i wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Telly wrote: »
    I got my Ryanair cancellation email for Tenerife on the 10th May and it was all very straight forward. Once i put in my info and hit send i got a message saying the refund will be in my account in 20 working days. Now i wait :)

you'll get an email in about a week or so with them trying to force the voucher on you

Ryanair have changed their tune.

"Refund Update

The processing time for cash refunds is taking far longer than normal as we are processing over 1,000 times the normal volume of cancellations. We also have 75% fewer staff available to process refunds due to social distancing restrictions.

Ryanair is offering vouchers and free moves as these are automated and give customers an immediate alternative. Unfortunately, cash refunds cannot be automated. Customers who choose a voucher, but don't redeem it within 12 months may still apply for and obtain a refund after this 12 month period.

Customers who choose not to accept a free move or voucher will receive their refund in due course, once this crisis has passed. Over the coming weeks and months, we will be working hard to process refund requests as quickly as we can."

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

I received this from them:

"...Please note that this voucher is valid for 12 Months and can be used for your future travel plans, please note that if you do not use the voucher the voucher before the expiry date you will receive a full cash refund, in the event you use the voucher in part you will also receive the option of a voucher for the balance or a cash refund after the expire date.

Please click on the link below to accept the voucher"
    <link snipped>

J_A_F_A wrote: »
    I received this from them:

"...Please note that this voucher is valid for 12 Months and can be used for your future travel plans, please note that if you do not use the voucher the voucher before the expiry date you will receive a full cash refund, in the event you use the voucher in part you will also receive the option of a voucher for the balance or a cash refund after the expire date.

Please click on the link below to accept the voucher"
    <link snipped>

I'm not into conspiracy theories, so I'd assume it's just sloppy use of language.

"you will receive a full cash refund"

The clear implication is that after 12 months Ryanair will refund your money automatically. Not so!

You will have to apply for the refund.

"but don't redeem it within 12 months may still apply for and obtain a refund after this 12 month period."

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher

But everything will be dandy in 12 months, refund will be quick and easy!

Ryanair won't try any stunts to make it more awkward to get your money.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

A reply from Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

A reply from Ryanair

That's a separate issue to refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭Patser

But you are not looking for compensation, only a refund for money spent on a service not provided.

A reply from Ryanair

Ryanair are being obtuse as usual!
    What they say is true but not the full story.

You are not entitled to compensation.

You are entitled to a cash refund in 7 days for flight cancellation EU261 Article 8 1 (a).

If you need your money, I'd suggest CAR's free service.
    Ignore the 6 weeks wait.

www.flightrights.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

A reply from Ryanair

I don’t think anyone is looking for compensation to be fair nor should they really.

salmocab wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone is looking for compensation to be fair nor should they really.

The screenshot was about compensation.

The screenshot was about compensation.

I went into their site .tried one form .and it didn't load ..tried the other..it loaded and I filled it in..that was the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You need to look at the correspondence sent and then the reply to understand the story. The Ryanair reply is about compensation, what was asked?

You need to look at the correspondence sent and then the reply to understand the story. The Ryanair reply is about compensation, what was asked?

I asked for a refund.. but that was the only form that would actually load for me...the reply came back..and I again stated not acceptable and I wanted a full refund.
    No answer as of yet...I will keep people updated

• Advertisement

Dear Commission for Aviation Regulation,
    It is understandable that any supplier would like to keep customer's money during a difficult trading period.
    The obvious benefits to the airline of cash flow and customer capture are understandable.

Ryanair agree that they are not in compliant with EU261 Article8 1 (a) cash reimbursement with 7 days.

"The processing time for cash refunds is taking far longer than normal"

Ryanair claims "cash refunds cannot be automated."

You appear to have accepted this position.

"the high volume of calls that airlines are dealing with and the absolute need to safeguard the welfare of staff."

You also appear to allow the airline to continually breach the regulation on this basis?

Have you consulted with experts in the computer industry to check if refunds can be automated?

I cannot find a computer expert that agrees with Ryanair's ascertain.

Ryanair accept thousands of passenger bookings automatically.

Other large ticketing organisations process refunds automatically.

Is it not more likely that Ryanair lacks the motivation rather than the capability to process refund automatically.

Can you review the validity of Ryanair's claim that refunds cannot be processed automatically?

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/refund-voucher

https://www.flightrights.ie/news/regulation-ec-2612004-guidance-note-on-flight-cancellations-refunds-and-vouchers.1045.html

Advertisement