Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some pictures I took recently

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I'll keep my eyes peeled. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

V_Moth wrote: »
    A very nice photo, but its a Red-legged Partridge (Alectoris rufa), native to Iberia and western France. RLP's are occasionally released for hunting in Ireland.

Thanks for that, I was told it was a Partridge, and just assumed it
    was a Grey, I didnt know there was a Redlegged version :) It was
    in a forestry in the Wicklow hills, two of them. Learn something new
    everyday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Here's a shot of a spider in my back garden:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24354102/DSCN2288.JPG
    Using the macro setting on my Nikon P510, I had difficulty getting it to focus, it kept trying to focus on items further back, until I placed a sheet of black card in the background.
    GE

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

A very nice photo, but its a Red-legged Partridge (Alectoris rufa), native to Iberia and western France. RLP's are occasionally released for hunting in Ireland.

Thanks for that, I was told it was a Partridge, and just assumed it
    was a Grey, I didnt know there was a Redlegged version :) It was
    in a forestry in the Wicklow hills, two of them. Learn something new
    everyday! :D
    Mate I do a lot of shooting and hunting
    Now I don't shoot partridge in fact never seen one and they are too rare to shoot so I never would but you just told the location of possibly a good few partridge to plenty of hunters and especially poachers for that matter

As far as I can see from above, the OP has as good as given the location of a few Pheasants.

And maybe we should let hunters and poachers be responsible for their own actions, not the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

@ dodderangler There's a Lot of forestry in the Wicklow Hills. It's goin' to be tough to track down two Red Legs. And I'm sure that whatever Gun Club released them will have measures in place to try and protect them from all sorts of 'vermin'! Chill!
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

I can understand dodderanglers concerns on lacation ID’s.

However, rare and scarce birds are reported & recorded everyday on another forum for and by birders. All sorts are reported such as birds of prey, other game birds and rare exotic types. As far as I know, there hasn’t been a rush of poachers, trappers, hunters or pigeon fanciers heading to those locations with bad intentions.

The Grey Partridge projects in North Dublin & Offaly are well publicised as are the Red Kites and other BoP projects, unfortunately some of these birds have fallen due to poisoning and other methods etc.

I suppose we will always get the one bad apple in the barrel that will try and get a “trophy type bird” the same as the idiot that peppers the local road signs with gun-shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Snowy Owl on Arranmore, Co. Donegal earlier this week. One thing you notice when looking for Snowy Owls is the amount of white plastic bags doing a passable impression of the species.

220478.JPG

220479.JPG

220480.JPG

While hiking through the bog, managed to find one of its pellet and a few feathers.

220481.JPG

Oh, I was looking to see where exactly Arranmore Island is, just the other day.....

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Some late evening visitors .
    220482.JPG

And this little one frightened off the red squirrel I was watching.
    220484.JPG

• Advertisement

whyulittle wrote: »
    Oh, I was looking to see where exactly Arranmore Island is, just the other day.....

Its a beautiful island, fantastic views over the western Donegal coastline and well worth a visit even without a Snowy Owl. Pity its such a long drive from Dublin :(

Its a beautiful island, fantastic views over the western Donegal coastline and well worth a visit even without a Snowy Owl. Pity its such a long drive from Dublin :(

Yeah that was my conclusion too - probably even worse from Athlone having to go up through the centre of the country. Could do with an overnight I think.

Snowy owls are lovely
    I spent ages looking for plastic bags and all I seen was snowy owls
    Ruined my day lol

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

New camera so first attempt at nature snaps with it (sorry about the link I don't know how to get the picture up)

A few pics Of the swallows that come to my shed each year

An early morning trip to see the Baird's Sandpiper at Kilcoole that had been found yesterday evening. Unfortunately it proved to be rather elusive and was last seen at around 11:00 this morning flying south.

220822.JPG

220823.JPG

And a rather obliging Meadow Pipit:

220824.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

On The Lookout!!!

santasbird wrote: »
    On The Lookout!!!
    Crackin spar

For those who wish to embed pics in the thread, the easiest way is to upload the pic to a photo sharing site like Pix.ie or Flickr.

You can upload the full size to these sites (if you wish), and then choose a different size to display. We ask that images posted in this thread are no longer than 800px on their longest side.

If you want to upload them directly to Boards, after you have attached the image to your post, you will see the filename appear as a clickable link.

Click this link and a new window will pop up with your image. Copy the URL from this window, and then come back to where you type your message.

You will see a little yellow icon with a mountain on it - click that and paste the URL into the little pop-up window that opens.

Then you're good to go. Type the rest of your message and hit Submit Reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Thank you. Since my last post Ive been trying to find out how to do this, think Ive got it now. :)

220854.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks for the uploading tip :)

1014998A81934CA39FB98718BB347C09-0000359205-0003013322-00800L-BE09284720CB44BFA997F85837677FC1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I am not sure of this lad is he a juvenile grey heron. Size wise he is bigger than the other herons in the area.
    Also it is the first time I have seen him. Any idea's

7E1ABEB530D146F39677DAAFAA703614-0000314502-0003013490-00800L-A69CCDE6288A465DA0E0E0576609DC2A.jpg

Looks like a blue heron don't think they in Ireland tho but his dark feet had me thinkin blue heron

A test with the new camera at night

5ADF3509C13245ECA9E30F5C9991C174-0000359205-0003013964-00500L-5FEC0879B3FE4D499BCD5084876A4557.jpg

15FD24DA660E4A078D05A64D531ED025-0000359205-0003013963-00500L-572247FADF3141E4A454DBCA733742C1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Looks like a blue heron don't think they in Ireland tho but his dark feet had me thinkin blue heron
    It was the dark feet that and dark plumage that caught my eye. He was also quite big compared to the usual herons.

It was the dark feet that and dark plumage that caught my eye. He was also quite big compared to the usual herons.

The best way to tell Great Blue Herons from our Grey Herons is the reddish wash to feathers around the legs (see here for a good example). The individual in your photograph is a juvenile Grey Heron that looks like he needs a bit of a wash :P

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

An early morning trip to see the Baird's Sandpiper at Kilcoole that had been found yesterday evening. Unfortunately it proved to be rather elusive and was last seen at around 11:00 this morning flying south.

10 minutes after you left; it returned and flew past me, heading N and landed about 50M N from me. I recognised it's call from when you pointed it out (despite me jabbering away). It disappeared behind the bank of the channel and the Wicklow and Kildare branch outing arrived and by co-incidence stood exactly in line with where I had seen it. After about a further 10 minutes, it showed a few times and most of us got to see it again. Great bird and thanks for showing me it. We then lost it and it seems to have not been seen since. That was about 11.30

In work at the moment in smoking area and there does be loads of pigeons eating the bread outside and they were circling above the bakery and I spotted a peregrine circling and then stopped down an latched onto a pigeon before Landon behind the bakery
    A camera phone wouldn't of caught it
    Was amazing to see them again

A fine battle going on in our skies

AC5F91D5C3DF40FC8343934C169B0018-0000359205-0003014814-00386L-962CEBBE123F4A658D89D71812F64585.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Clearpreso

Red squirrels up Killiney hill,

They are still dipping in and out of their relocation cages thingys so its quite easy to see one or two jumping about. Head up now before they disperse!

7997518067_16ba896658_z.jpg

7997518641_5693ce6917_z.jpg

7997519229_6e3260f0a8_z.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement