Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tired

1st time poster here just wanted to add my tuppence worth, am 7mths pregnant and know im having a girl. The names i have are

Girls:Darcy
    Daria
    Joy
    Ava
    Hazel
    Holly
    Isabelle
    Erin

Boys:
    Nathan
    Jake
    Joshua
    Lee
    William

I could go on but thats my shortlist at the moment. Love having a read of the names post, normally posting in the animal section so hope you dont mind me jumping over... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Nah, come on over and join us! I'm not pregnant anymore, wish I still was!! But don't want anymore children!!

From your list I love Ava and Hazel for girls and Joshua for boys!!

Think I might Adrienne, I also have a nearly 7 month old pup so I have my hands full, its like having a child. I know dont ask, what was i thinking.

Yep Hazel is one of the names i really really like, probably the name ill opt for but you know your self that could change when I have her. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

God, how the hell do people choose names for their kids?

We must have gone through about 15 definites since we found out, changing our minds now again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Tired wrote: »
    Think I might Adrienne, I also have a nearly 7 month old pup so I have my hands full, its like having a child. I know dont ask, what was i thinking.

Yep Hazel is one of the names i really really like, probably the name ill opt for but you know your self that could change when I have her. :D

I have a 7 month old pup too... it is like having another child... he sleeps on the couch beside me though when I'm feeding the baby!! Thing is, he was spoiled before Addison came along, so was a bit jealous... but now he gets up on the arm chair to have a look in her carry cot when she's asleep lol.

Melion... I kind of always knew Addison was going to be my girls name... I just had others in case she didn't "look like an Addison" as people were saying to me... but I had a really hard time of picking a boys name, even so much as that we were still discussing names as I was being brought for my emergency c section!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I've only started thinking about this recently but I'm thinking about Ali for a girl and maybe Sean for a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Sure I'm not even pregnant or planning to be anytime soon, and I have at least four girls names that I'll opt for in the future (for some reason, I can't see myself having a boy at all).

Rhiannon is my daughters name, if she ever has a sister (or sisters) they'll be Matilda, Imogen and Lois.

I dunno how many people out there though think I named my daughter after Rihanna. I didn't! Who in the name of the Lord would name their child after a popstar?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Sixx

Embee... I bet you named her after the Fleetwood Mac song?!:D
    I was SO sure of Luke as a name but now my OH has totally vetoed it... there's too many of them seemingly!! Now I don't know a single Luke but he said that's cause they're all 5 and under!! BTW still too early to know sex yet but this topic has my full attention, hope I'm not jumping the gun (anxious annie right now til wk 12)

Gawd Adrieanne am delighted I posted on here now, will be wrecking your head for advice on how to get them used to eachother. Like yourself he is the baby of the house, he sleeps in doors and I have to say he is brilliant, he is a blue roan cocker spaniel (what do you have)...

Melion on my last daughter (she is ten) I had about 50 names I swear i couldnt decide and then dont laugh i used to wear the perfume at the time so named her after that, odd eh. Chloe is her name and there is loads of Chloes now.

Gowayouttadat I like the name Ali, i like short and to the point names...

Congrats Sixx best of luck with the pregnancy, how have you been feeling?

:D

Sixx wrote: »

lol Sixx,

wasn't the song either!!!!

I have a big big extended family and I wanted Rhiannon to have a unique name that no-one else in the family had. Originally I wanted an Irish name, but any of them that I liked have already been used. So, I decided a Celtic name (Irish, Scottish or Welsh) would do. Went on the internet for Celtic baby names for girls, and Rhiannon leapt out at me from early on.

Still though, when I texted people to say she had arrived, I got endless texts back saying "oooh, like the popstar?" ARGH. They're two different names, ffs. Rihanna and Rhiannon, whilst similar, are not the same name and I would never in a million years take on to name my child after the hottest popstar du jour. If that was the case, any other babies I have would be called Beyonce, Christina, Britney, Leona, Lady Gaga.....

No thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

embee wrote: »
    lol Sixx,

wasn't the song either!!!!

I have a big big extended family and I wanted Rhiannon to have a unique name that no-one else in the family had. Originally I wanted an Irish name, but any of them that I liked have already been used. So, I decided a Celtic name (Irish, Scottish or Welsh) would do. Went on the internet for Celtic baby names for girls, and Rhiannon leapt out at me from early on.

Still though, when I texted people to say she had arrived, I got endless texts back saying "oooh, like the popstar?" ARGH. They're two different names, ffs. Rihanna and Rhiannon, whilst similar, are not the same name and I would never in a million years take on to name my child after the hottest popstar du jour. If that was the case, any other babies I have would be called Beyonce, Christina, Britney, Leona, Lady Gaga.....

No thanks!
    i being a bronte fan have always loved the girls names anne,emily,and charlotte, but at the end of the day i had a boy and called him simon

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭LorraineL

Hi everyone, hope you don't mind me butting in here. I am only 10 and a half weeks gone so i have plenty of time yet to decide on names but i love reading through all the suggestions on here. If it's a girl, she will more than likely be Zoe. This will be my fourth baby so it's getting hard to pick a name that will fit in with the others. The rest all all fairly short so i think i'll stick with that theme! Clueless as to boys' names though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

LorraineL wrote: »
    Hi everyone, hope you don't mind me butting in here. I am only 10 and a half weeks gone so i have plenty of time yet to decide on names but i love reading through all the suggestions on here. If it's a girl, she will more than likely be Zoe. This will be my fourth baby so it's getting hard to pick a name that will fit in with the others. The rest all all fairly short so i think i'll stick with that theme! Clueless as to boys' names though.
    looking at my passed girlfriends names [i have had many weird ones] judith,carena,shannon, my wifes name is magdalena[spanish spelling] married 35years-try the old names like branwell, martin,luke,ect that way no other kid at school will have the same name take it from me thats important to any kid he will be more remembered if he has a good strong christian name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Sixx wrote: »
    I was SO sure of Luke as a name but now my OH has totally vetoed it... there's too many of them seemingly!! Now I don't know a single Luke but he said that's cause they're all 5 and under!! BTW still too early to know sex yet but this topic has my full attention, hope I'm not jumping the gun (anxious annie right now til wk 12)

I have 2 nephews called luke - under 3 years. Same as Sean and Jack these days. Mighty popular but a very nice name. Don't worry about jumping the gun. I had Aoife picked out before I got pregnant and that turned into a Luke situation. Was going to call it for my Dad if a boy. And am now happy with cool but not wacky Bridget.

getz wrote: »
    looking at my passed girlfriends names [i have had many weird ones] judith,carena,shannon, my wifes name is magdalena[spanish spelling] married 35years-try the old names like branwell, martin,luke,ect that way no other kid at school will have the same name take it from me thats important to any kid he will be more remembered if he has a good strong christian name

Branwell? :eek: Sounds like a kelloggs product.

I've only started thinking about this recently but I'm thinking about Ali for a girl and maybe Sean for a boy.

I like Ali but according to books you should give a full name on birth cert and then shorten it for everyday use. For instance I am calling my daughter Bridget but she will be Bree for short. So Alison, Alanna etc would be better as it gives your daughter an option to have a more grown up name when she wishes. Job applications etc. Also Ali is a very popular muslim mans name. Could cause some confusion as to her race and gender.

As you can see I've thought about this lots :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

in About 5 years time!! i would like one of the names

Zoe
    Cara
    Willow

Freddie
    Seth
    Noah
    Jacob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Grawns wrote: »
    I like Ali but according to books you should give a full name on birth cert and then shorten it for everyday use. For instance I am calling my daughter Bridget but she will be Bree for short. So Alison, Alanna etc would be better as it gives your daughter an option to have a more grown up name when she wishes. Job applications etc. Also Ali is a very popular muslim mans name. Could cause some confusion as to her race and gender.

As you can see I've thought about this lots :)

I love when people live their lives "according to books".

If someone wants to call their daughter Ali, well then that is what they should call her. I personally don't get the point of calling a child one name for their birth cert and another name for everyday life.

A CV when they are older will tell a lot more than their name.

To each their own, but, if I was shortening my childs name I would actually be using a shortened version of it, and not just another random name with the same first letter.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

I love Maya, Siena (with one 'n' like the town in Italy) or Síofra (little fairy) for girls or Killian for a boy...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Síle28 wrote: »
    I love Maya, Siena (with one 'n' like the town in Italy) or Síofra (little fairy) for girls or Killian for a boy...

I've been trying to convince my pregnant sister to go for Síofra or Killian :) Would have seriously considered using them myself, but hubby didn't like Síofra, and Killian sounds ridiculous with our surname.

• Advertisement

Hate to be a stick in the mud, but why on earth do people spell the name Cillian with a K?

I've seen it done too with Cian..... WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

They both begin with C, not K. That sorta stuff really annoys me :(

Hate to be a stick in the mud, but why on earth do people spell the name Cillian with a K?

I've seen it done too with Cian..... WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!

They both begin with C, not K. That sorta stuff really annoys me :(

C is better, you're right. The Kian thing bothers me, Killian.. not so much... I also don't like Y's instead of I's.. Like Bryan.

Quackles wrote: »
    C is better, you're right. The Kian thing bothers me, Killian.. not so much... I also don't like Y's instead of I's.. Like Bryan.

Or I's instead of Y's... Like Kerri, Cindi, Mandi etc. Chav-tastic :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Names are finalised i think.

Naomi for a girl and either Jayden or Rhys for a boy, she likes Jayden and i like Rhys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Ok, Got a bit of a naming quandry.

Ever since we found out we're pregnant (due in mid-march) we've had two boys names short-listed and it's been set in stone (unlike the girls names, but that's a different post).
    We haven't told a soul, until herself said it to my mum the other night. To which she said that we couldn't name our child with those names as they were my cousin's two boys names, who are about 4 and 6 years old.
    The problem being is that I have a very unusual surname and a name that my son would obviously carry, it is also the surname of my cousin and his two boys.
    My cousin lives within about 4 miles of me so they may be going to the same school. But I don't really have much contact with my cousin (obviously otherwise I would've reckognised his two boys names).

Any recommendation or experience on this matter would be appreciated

duploelabs wrote: »

Ever since we found out we're pregnant (due in mid-march) we've had two boys names short-listed and it's been set in stone (unlike the girls names, but that's a different post).
    We haven't told a soul, until herself said it to my mum the other night. To which she said that we couldn't name our child with those names as they were my cousin's two boys names, who are about 4 and 6 years old.
    The problem being is that I have a very unusual surname and a name that my son would obviously carry, it is also the surname of my cousin and his two boys.
    My cousin lives within about 4 miles of me so they may be going to the same school. But I don't really have much contact with my cousin (obviously otherwise I would've reckognised his two boys names).

There's no rule that says you can't choose a name just because it's already been used in your family. I didn't want to use a name already used in the family, but that was just me. Will your new baby (if it is a boy) be in the same class as these other boys? More than likely not if these other kids have already been born. It doesn't matter a damn - pick a name for your child that you feel comfortable with, to hell with anyone else! My daughter may not be the only Rhiannon in her school (or even her class... I think she might but there's no way of knowing) but it doesn't do a child any harm if they're one of two or three Lukes, Seans etc in a class.

You have an unusual surname, that will make your child stand out. My daughters name is not so common but her surname is (I think) the second or third most common surname in this country.

So... what's the issue with girls names? You didn't go into it? Here's the place, tis the baby name thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,141 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

There's no rule that says you can't choose a name just because it's already been used in your family. I didn't want to use a name already used in the family, but that was just me. Will your new baby (if it is a boy) be in the same class as these other boys? More than likely not if these other kids have already been born. It doesn't matter a damn - pick a name for your child that you feel comfortable with, to hell with anyone else! My daughter may not be the only Rhiannon in her school (or even her class... I think she might but there's no way of knowing) but it doesn't do a child any harm if they're one of two or three Lukes, Seans etc in a class.

You have an unusual surname, that will make your child stand out. My daughters name is not so common but her surname is (I think) the second or third most common surname in this country.

So... what's the issue with girls names? You didn't go into it? Here's the place, tis the baby name thread!

We've a shortlist of about 8 girls names which fluctuates weekly/daily/hourly... It's a daily ritual that we (I say we but it's really her) go through movie credits/names from 'Gracia' magazine/back of shampoo bottle to come up with ideas.
    Her thinking is that we're having a boy as it was easy to pick for a boy from day one.

duploelabs wrote: »

I'll give you my honest opinion here - if the boy names you've picked are highly unusual, I'd change them. If they were fairly common, I wouldn't be too concerned, regardless of how unusual your surname is. I do feel your pain - I had to change our wee man's name the day I was brought in to be induced as a neighbour called her child the same thing two weeks earlier and I'd only found out that day. Like I said, I wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't an unusual sort of a name, a small town, and they'd be the same age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭G&T

Think you should think about changing your mind,
    I would be put out if I was the cousin tbh

My cousin and I had Alan's within 2 day's of
    each other, we never even talk so it was a fluke,
    they have different second names so its not a problem
    Alan M and Alan C

Your kid would end up needing to tell a short story
    every time someone wanted to know his name.

There must be another name ye like,
    go on to

[HTML]http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/name-wizard[/HTML]

it's worth a look.

• Advertisement

Well she won't be here until Thursday but all the same. Very interesting article on the name and tradition here from yesterdays Irish Times

" One thing that is widely accepted is that the celebration of St Brigid on February 1st replaced the Spring festival of Imbolc, the first of four major feasts in the Celtic calendar (the others are Bealtaine, Lughnasa and Samhain). This practice of replacing a pagan festival with a Christian one was both common and clever. It helped Christianise a pagan people and allowed them to carry over some of the rituals into their new religion. And so it is that St Brigid’s Day is associated with the coming of spring and new life."

Very Appropriate :D

Advertisement