Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I am far from even thinking about pregnancy yet but....

Girl:
    Penny
    Erica
    Beibhinn (Bevin) Irish meaning "Fair or white, woman or lady"
    Radha (Row-A) Irish meaning "A vision"

Boy:
    Senan
    Oisin
    Cormac
    Gregory

My own name means soft/downy haired

We're calling this one Senan if it's a boy :) I love Radha, but I don't think hubby would have it.. Fussy fecker is great at knocking back suggestions, but not so great at coming up with any!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Dudess wrote: »

The biggest nightmare, I'd say, of the more popular Irish names must be Aoife! I know a lot of Aoifes and they just give up after a while when it comes to living abroad/holidaying/dealing with people on the phone etc...!

Haha, I'm an Aoife and I'm the same....abroad I go by Eve or Eva...I don't bother correcting people....or if we're in a funny mood I introduce myself as Rebecca or Rachel (my fave names) so they definitley cant get it wrong! Even Americans cant get around it, when i was over there it took the people i met almost a week before they could say my name without having to stop and think about it first!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭deemy

I absolutely love paddy for a boy. i think its a real strong name. My oh thinks I'm nuts and that the child would be ridiculed when older especially if he lived abroad. paddy irish man and all that. Don't think its been mentioned on thread yet so maybe I am mad.
    Girls names are much easier I think. This week its Lil, Charlie, May, Jemma, Jasmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I love Paddy too! My oh is a Paddy and he's american with no Irish connection. Very popular name in France - Patrick.

Funny story - you know the name Packie - another form of Paddy. My friends husband is called that and when he was working on the buildings in Germany, his English co-workers refused to call him Packie and insisted on calling him Paddy. :)

Camelot wrote: »
    My Top Ten Girls names.

Kate
    Beth
    Mandy
    Heather
    Juliette
    Grace
    Victoria
    Samantha
    Emily
    Charlotte

My Top Ten Boys names.

William
    Oliver
    Julian
    Darren
    Harvey
    Jamey
    Cameron
    Daniel
    Christian
    Ashley

Hope there's a few here you havent heard before :)

Please don't call a boy Ashley :eek:

• Advertisement

Is anyone else meeting a lot of resistance from family and friends about the names they chose? I wish I hadn't told anyone.. My family are having a great laugh. Apparently Senan is reminiscent of medicine you take for constipation, not to mention the fact that my mother keeps calling him Senate, and Neasa is the US space program :rolleyes: Family are great, aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Ah i wouldnt worry they do be all like this but they come around,they dont have a choice.You just have to keep pointing out uts your child and you will call it what you like.Also sometimes when the child is born all the names go out the window cause the names dont suit them.Its up to you keep repeating like a mantra and all will be fine.:D

marti101 wrote: »
    Ah i wouldnt worry they do be all like this but they come around,they dont have a choice.You just have to keep pointing out uts your child and you will call it what you like.Also sometimes when the child is born all the names go out the window cause the names dont suit them.Its up to you keep repeating like a mantra and all will be fine.:D

Most of the time they don't bother me - I tell my mother she had 8 opportunities to name her own children and I wouldn't agree with all her choices, and siblings are told that when they have their babies, they can call them whatever they like. Occasionally, though, when I'm particularly tired and emotional, it gets to me :) It took us long enough to come up with those names, they are not changing for any man, woman or child!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My father calls my daughter Madison to get on my nerves... he loves her name though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ShineadyRyan

I'm nowhere near to having my own kids ( still in college) but I have a list drawn up!:D
    Theres a strong tradition of naming all the kids Irish names in my family and my mams family especially.. Myself and my two brothers have Irish names along with middle names too.
    Girls:
    Tara
    Clodagh
    Siofra
    Eva
    Orla
    Siun
    Deirdre

Boys:
    Colm
    Cathal
    These two after both of my brothers..
    Fiachra
    Donnacha
    Dara
    Niall
    Barry
    Oisin
    Cian
    Fergal

Just be careful you don't give him/her a name thats is too common..Like my own name Sinead.....I had three other Sineads in my home ec class alone - roll call was gas.
    I love my name and wouldn't change it but you do meet people who say..."yeah so you're called Sinead like the other couple of hundred girls here":rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I'm nowhere near to having my own kids ( still in college) but I have a list drawn up!:D
    Theres a strong tradition of naming all the kids Irish names in my family and my mams family especially.. Myself and my two brothers have Irish names along with middle names too.
    Girls:
    Tara
    Clodagh
    Siofra
    Eva
    Orla
    Siun
    Deirdre

Boys:
    Colm
    Cathal
    These two after both of my brothers..
    Fiachra
    Donnacha
    Dara
    Niall
    Barry
    Oisin
    Cian
    Fergal

Just be careful you don't give him/her a name thats is too common..Like my own name Sinead.....I had three other Sineads in my home ec class alone - roll call was gas.
    I love my name and wouldn't change it but you do meet people who say..."yeah so you're called Sinead like the other couple of hundred girls here":rolleyes:

My parents used 4 of your names on their own kids :) You're not my mammy, are you? ARE YOU?? But Mammy, you told me you couldn't use the internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ShineadyRyan

Quackles wrote: »
    My parents used 4 of your names on their own kids :) You're not my mammy, are you? ARE YOU?? But Mammy, you told me you couldn't use the internet!

Your parents are very good at choosing names then!!!;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Roxy87

If its a girl I want Amelia Jade
    If its a boy I'd like Damien Alexander
    But .. my BF thinks the boys name is too posh and gay :confused: (also one of the the local doctors is called Damien and no one likes him)

Roxy87 wrote: »
    If its a girl I want Amelia Jade
    If its a boy I'd like Damien Alexander
    But .. my BF thinks the boys name is too posh and gay :confused: (also one of the the local doctors is called Damien and no one likes him)

I have a creepy cousin called Damien and we do call him the Omen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Grawns wrote: »
    Please don't call a boy Ashley :eek:

I was thinking of 'Ashley Cole' the footballer > but maybe you're right :)

Re Irish names, personally I would steer clear (of some of them) specially the ones that dont travel well ....

Camelot wrote: »
    I was thinking of 'Ashley Cole' the footballer > but maybe you're right :)QUOTE]

You mean the cheating b**tard :D Also Ashley, Adrian, Jaden - all girlie names - in my eyes anyway. No boy will thank you for that, really they won't :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 roccoinvades

:)Hi, I have been asked to be Godfather for my cousins newly born twins from Atlanta, Georgia, USA. They were born on the 9th of December 2008. One boy and one girl. Their Mother is originally from Limerick. I am flying over for the christening in February and I thought an Irish set of twin Pen Pals would be a cool gift. Their family use E-mail, Skype and so on regurlarly to contact us here in Galway. It would be great for them to see each other grow up on either side of the Atlantic, maybe the occasional visit. If you have twins around this age or know of anyone that might be interested. Please get back to me.
    Thanks.

:)Hi, I have been asked to be Godfather for my cousins newly born twins from Atlanta, Georgia, USA. They were born on the 9th of December 2009. One boy and one girl. Their Mother is originally from Limerick. I am flying over for the christening in February and I thought an Irish set of twin Pen Pals would be a cool gift. Their family use E-mail, Skype and so on regurlarly to contact us here in Galway. It would be great for them to see each other grow up on either side of the Atlantic, maybe the occasional visit. If you have twins around this age or know of anyone that might be interested. Please get back to me.
    Thanks.

Did I sleep through an entire year again? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 roccoinvades

Ooops. Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

As a teacher in a multicultural school, I come across some cool and interesting boys names in the roll book :D

Dmitri
    Nikita
    Simi
    Tosho
    Bao
    Khan
    Lorenzo
    Laurinis
    Aries (Irees)

There are tons more but I can't think of them off the top of my head...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    Nikita

This is my step-sister in law's name. She wasn't to happy when I pointed out that it's originally a boys name from Eastern Europe that people have transferred to girls, or that in Dublin it tends to be rougher people who call girls this (in my experience of course, no offence intended to anyone!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

watna wrote: »
    in Dublin it tends to be rougher people who call girls this (in my experience of course, no offence intended to anyone!)

Then they call it nik - i - ah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Yes, I am crazy... but out of those names I really like Addison and Grace for a girl and Luke and Ben for a boy. But they're all in the running!!

A grey's anatomy fan no doubt...

Seattle "grace" and "Addison" Shepard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

As a teacher in a multicultural school, I come across some cool and interesting boys names in the roll book :D

Dmitri
    Nikita
    Simi
    Tosho
    Bao
    Khan
    Lorenzo
    Laurinis
    Aries (Irees)

There are tons more but I can't think of them off the top of my head...

For the first time in my life hearing the name, I met 2 people within a week of each other called Archadeus. I thought it was won of the coolest names I had heard in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

syklops wrote: »
    A grey's anatomy fan no doubt...

Seattle "grace" and "Addison" Shepard?

Actually no, I got the name Addison when I was driving through Glasnevin and saw the Addison Lodge funnily enough, I thought it was unusual and decided that it was in the running...

I did actually name my daughter Addison as it turns out. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Then they call it nik - i - ah!

Those were my actual words to her - down to the accent and everything.

Again, it did not go down well, at all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

We've moved onto Mikayla for a girl and Dylan or Jaden for a boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭ceannair06

I agree that Caleb is a beautiful name for a boy, although sadly in Take a Break or one of those mags last week there were two stories about a boy named that.

One was spelled KAYLUB and one was KAYLIB.

Look people, if you can't spell the names then don't use them!

I had a student once called Nyv. After a loooong time trying to work out what it was she told me, it's pronounced Neeve.

To which I wrote down its correct spelling.

"Ain't that Nyam ?":eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Caleb was another name we were thinking about for a while, mainly due to my Kings of Leon fascination. I dont think she likes it anymore though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Driina

Harry seems to be very popular now... why is that?

for boys:
    Micah
    Jacob
    Daniel (my son's name)
    Alexandre (his second name)
    Nicholas

for girls:
    Penelope
    Alexandra
    Marie

Advertisement