Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Inbox wrote: »
    doovdela wrote: »
    Starting to like Andrina as a name for a girl. Short for Alexandrina.

Poor child

I know an Andreina. At first I thought it was really weird, now I think it's a cool name. Wouldn't name a child that though - as it's my brother in law's other half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I know an Andrina too, she's Italian and gets away with it.
    Wouldn't be into it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm back to this conundrum again - no problem with boys' names, but a girl's name is causing ......

When I was watching the news on New Year's Day, it showed one of the new year babies and her name was Elsie - it's been stuck in my head ever since. I don't like the idea of giving a shortened name to a child, so I would go with Eilis on the birth cert. Does anyone know any Elsie's or if this a common name? Haven't seen it in the top 100s for the last few years, but I'd like my child to have a slightly unusual name (still traumatised from there being 5 people with the same name as me in my class in school).

The other options are Nina (other half keeps making ambulance noises), Siofra (reckons he can't spell it) and I like Ellie (short for Helen?? anyone?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

My due date is today and I'm freaking out over names. Ones I liked I don't like anymore or don't go with surname. My OH has ones he likes and doesn't seem worry but its such a huge decision what am I going to do??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

The other options are Nina (other half keeps making ambulance noises), Siofra (reckons he can't spell it) and I like Ellie (short for Helen?? anyone?)

Love Siofra, would have been my number one name, only my mam and dad named the house they built Siofra! Maybe if they move... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

Himself likes real american sounding names like Seth, Josh and Zach...I love Cillian, Rory and Sean...dont think we will ever agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WWC1

Have a little girl called Jane and baby no 2 due in July. Thinking Holly if it's a girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

liliq wrote: »
    Love Siofra, would have been my number one name, only my mam and dad named the house they built Siofra! Maybe if they move... :D

Like that name too, only I prefer it spelt Siobhradh with the first i fada'd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

doovdela wrote: »
    Starting to like Andrina as a name for a girl. Short for Alexandrina.

Interesting name Andrina/ Alexandrina! I wonder is that a variation of the popular girls name Alexandra?
    Love Siofra, would have been my number one name, only my mam and dad named the house they built Siofra!

That's another new name on me, Sophia (or Sophie) come to mind when I see it.

Interesting names . . .

pippington wrote: »
    Himself likes real american sounding names like Seth, Josh and Zach...I love Cillian, Rory and Sean...dont think we will ever agree!

Love Cillian (or Killian) and Rory.
    Named my little man Rory. Killian (my brothers name) would have been on the list but we wanted to avoid the "naming after" thing... to many toes to step on! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

pippington wrote: »

Love Cillian (or Killian) and Rory.
    Named my little man Rory. Killian (my brothers name) would have been on the list but we wanted to avoid the "naming after" thing... to many toes to step on! :rolleyes:
    My mother in law is really pushing the - name the first son after fathers father 2nd son after the mothers father etc....
    It's driving me crazy as she says it to my hubby on a daily basis,but not to me. His friend had a son recently and they didn't name him after anyone and she keeps on about it to hubby.
    My husband is now wanting to name his first son( if it's a boy) after his dad. My husband is the only boy in his family and is the only one who can carry on the surname ( his dad died 10 yrs ago)
    The thing is, I'm not a fan of the name, to me, it's very average. And I think hubby is only pushing it do he won't get grief from his mother. I have said it can be a second name, but I'm not sure he'll be happy with that.
    Should I name my son (again, if it's a boy) to please his mother and to keep the peace! Surely not! But would love to hear your opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

silly wrote: »
    My mother in law is really pushing the - name the first son after fathers father 2nd son after the mothers father etc....
    It's driving me crazy as she says it to my hubby on a daily basis,but not to me. His friend had a son recently and they didn't name him after anyone and she keeps on about it to hubby.
    My husband is now wanting to name his first son( if it's a boy) after his dad. My husband is the only boy in his family and is the only one who can carry on the surname ( his dad died 10 yrs ago)
    The thing is, I'm not a fan of the name, to me, it's very average. And I think hubby is only pushing it do he won't get grief from his mother. I have said it can be a second name, but I'm not sure he'll be happy with that.
    Should I name my son (again, if it's a boy) to please his mother and to keep the peace! Surely not! But would love to hear your opinion!

Definitely not. You son is his own person and should have his own name! Don't let yourself be pressured into this. It is a big decision and your child will have whatever name you give him for the rest of his life. I would be heavily suggesting other names that I liked. Maybe if yourself and husband both go through a book of baby names, write down ones you like and cross off those that are definite 'no's' from each others lists, you can come to a compromise somehow!

In my experience if you cave in to his mothers wishes on this matter she will expect it of you in the future too! I would take a stand on it now. My daughter has her own name and as will any son I may have (my partners first name has gone back 4 generations but that isn't stopping me!). If you really want to keep the peace then think about having a family name for a middle name?

I totally agree with Lola. If you allow her to dictate something as important as the name of YOUR child, where does it stop?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

As a complete aside... I have friends in the US who names their baby Dublin! Apparently they'd been planning to use that name for a while.

I told them it's fine for the states, but don't expect their son to ever ever travel to Ireland! Same for all those kids in states called London (girls and boys), won't be able to go to the UK without getting a good jeering.

My cousin in Philly has a neighbour who's daughter hangs out with his kids. Her name is Ireland!!!
    We were over one yr and my daughter went trick or treating with them, it was so funny hearing her mom call her " Ireland! Ireland!!"

Fecking Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I've been thinking about this all freaking day (in such early stage too :(. )
    for a girl I like
    Olivia
    Zohra
    Anna

Boy:
    Will
    Sean
    Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 34 waynerooney

this is my first night on boards.... the humour in these forums is class. I love it. Anyway, back to the thread... I like Alana for a girl and Kalvin for a boy. There, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kaalgat

I am expecting a girl, and she will be called Leilani.
    The name is of Hawaiin origin and means heavenly flower :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Girls:

I like the name Seven - is that completely mental?
    I love Jamila (arabic for beutiful) but hubby says no :(
    I like Cleopatra aswell but people would call her Cleo and I don`t like that nickname.
    The most normal names I`m thinking of are Alexa, Arabella, Pandora, August, Surianna, Starlet or Scarlett.

Boys:
    Levi, Maddox, Hunter....

I want something no one else will have thats a little exotic.

I've been thinking about this all freaking day (in such early stage too :(. )
    for a girl I like
    Olivia
    Zohra
    Anna

Boy:
    Will
    Sean
    Daniel
    Olivia is the only name I have half decided on for a girl.

• Advertisement

silly wrote: »

Oh dear god no! That would drive me mental!! Even if I liked the names, it would end up turning me off them. (stubborn... me?! ;))
    I think using the name as a middle name should be a more than acceptable compromise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Mink wrote: »
    As a complete aside... I have friends in the US who names their baby Dublin! Apparently they'd been planning to use that name for a while.

I told them it's fine for the states, but don't expect their son to ever ever travel to Ireland! Same for all those kids in states called London (girls and boys), won't be able to go to the UK without getting a good jeering.

Especially if their surname is England or Ireland

Dublin Ireland
    London England

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Having just seen "Being Human", can I suggest Splodge :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

theg81der wrote: »
    Girls:

I like Cleopatra aswell but people would call her Cleo and I don`t like that nickname.
    The most normal names I`m thinking of are Alexa, Arabella, Pandora, August, Surianna, Starlet or Scarlett.

Boys:
    Levi, Maddox, Hunter....

I don't think we would ever agree on baby names:)

Girls:

Boys:
    Levi, Maddox, Hunter....

You would want a very specific surname for any of those names to sound okay :-)

The only time I've heard a lot of them is from celebs . Levi is Matthew Mcconaghey's son, Maddox is Angelina Jolie's son's name, Seven is the Beckham's daughters middle name. Surianna is similar to Tom Cruise's Suri, Scarlett is a really common celeb's kids name now too.

ElleEm wrote: »

The only time I've heard a lot of them is from celebs . Levi is Matthew Mcconaghey's son, Maddox is Angelina Jolie's son's name, Seven is the Beckham's daughters middle name. Surianna is similar to Tom Cruise's Suri, Scarlett is a really common celeb's kids name now too.

The names most people give there kids are the most common name that year, they`re on the list! I just don`t understand that, its like someone gives them the list in advance of what they`re allowed to call their kids that year :confused:. I`m just someone who lives outside the box. I want my childs name to not be on that list and I want there name to be not that of the others in there class. There was 3 people with my name in my class and I hated it.

The names most people give there kids are the most common name that year, they`re on the list! I just don`t understand that, its like someone gives them the list in advance of what they`re allowed to call their kids that year :confused:. I`m just someone who lives outside the box. I want my childs name to not be on that list and I want there name to be not that of the others in there class. There was 3 people with my name in my class and I hated it.

I totally get you. My name is unusual and I have only met one other girl with it. I love that. There were two Ciarans, two Alans, four Louises , two Audreys and two Amys in my year in school. I will definitely name my kids less common names.
    I just think there is a risk when the only time people have heard a name is when a celeb has named their child it.

ElleEm I would prefer if it wasn`t a celeb name too, theres something a little tacky about that. I just know what I like and what sounds nice to me - which isn`t alot. So curious now what your name is!!! is it irishy?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

The names "most" people give their children are the most common for that exact reason. If someone likes a name who cares who else has it? It's not the end of the world. In fact my cousin excitedly told me about how there's now 3 girls in her class with the same name. She didn't care.

There is such thing as going to the other extreme as well and I think you are getting close to it. That's not living outside of the box. That's going out if your way to be different.

I'd rather my child had a common name than one that will be ridiculed (which most celeb names are).

You didn't like your name because it was common. There are kids who don't like their name because it's so "exotic"

There are plenty of unusual names that aren't so "out there". I have one and I know plenty of others. I have only met one other person with my name and most people have never heard of it.

You didn't like

EDIT: I've come across bitchier than I meant so I'm sorry. My main point is that there is nothing wrong with common names and celebs only barely get away with ridiculous names because of who they are

• Advertisement

The names "most" people give their children are the most common for that exact reason. If someone likes a name who cares who else has it? It's not the end of the world. In fact my cousin excitedly told me about how there's now 3 girls in her class with the same name. She didn't care.

There is such thing as going to the other extreme as well and I think you are getting close to it. That's not living outside of the box. That's going out if your way to be different.

I'd rather my child had a common name than one that will be ridiculed (which most celeb names are).

You didn't like your name because it was common. There are kids who don't like their name because it's so "exotic"

There are plenty of unusual names that aren't so "out there". I have one and I know plenty of others. I have only met one other person with my name and most people have never heard of it.

You didn't like

EDIT: I've come across bitchier than I meant so I'm sorry. My main point is that there is nothing wrong with common names and celebs only barely get away with ridiculous names because of who they are

Its all personal preference and they just don`t sound nice to me, but then others don`t like what I like so its just that I`m a bit different I don`t have to go out of my way to be different I just can`t help what I like. I like exotic food, music and clothes too. Probably something to do with being mixed race - its not like I was ever going to fit in growing up so I just embraced it.

Maybe I came across as bitchy too but I certainly didn`t mean to. Theres nothing wrong with being normal its a good skill for fitting in socially and succeeding in life.

Advertisement