Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby names!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

Hi guys,

I'm not due for ages but since my partner takes a lot of convincing so I'm baby name hunting already ;-)

I love Jane for a girl but can't think of any middle name.... I need something great before I make my pitch to him because he is not a huge fan of Jane as it is... my ideas were Jane Maria, Jane Eve, Jane Eva, something simple and elegent...
    I asked him what he liked and he picked the top 5 girls names off the CSO list!! Ahhhh my worst nightmare. Though the names are really pretty I want something that is well known but not overly popular (fussy, I know!).

As for boys names...we can't even agree on one!

Any middle names for Jane greatly appreciated... (oh and of course his first suggestion was 'Doe'...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Em, isn't Jude a boy's name?

mamaheidi wrote: »
    Any middle names for Jane greatly appreciated... (oh and of course his first suggestion was 'Doe'...)

Emma, Emily?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Jane - totally depends on surname but sonething like Sophia or Elizabeth , I do like eve or Eva also!

• Advertisement

Well mine certainly is! You have to admit though, as a first name Jude could cause confusion, especially with it being a famous song, book and saint.

Do those three women not get people presuming them to be male all the time?

I don't see the difference between calling a girl Michael or Jude. To the majority of people they are both male names. It's like the recent trend for calling girls Naoise, when that too is a male name. In my opinion, you lose the meaning and origin of the name by giving it to the opposite gender.

However, I suppose there is a difference between picking a name knowing a bit about it and just blindly picking a name because it sounds nice.

Each to their own I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Well we have gone from a list of 37 possible boys names to 8 possible names. We are going to put the list aside for a few weeks and then have a look at narrow it down again.

(I know which 2 are my favourite but I don't want to push it too much!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Anyone ever come across Val as a boys name? I must admit, when I first it I presumed my friends had given birth to a baby girl Valerie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

LordSutch wrote: »
    Anyone ever come across Val as a boys name? I must admit, when I first it I presumed my friends had given birth to a baby girl Valerie.
    Well there is the actor Val Kilmer
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQANXRHaIQm_I8TlF--bXxUf-OASm324xzW-sq08WXfY6X3B8enw

I'd imagine in some cases Val is short for Valentine.
    The name Valentine is quite common in France for a boy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

My Dad has an Uncle Val. Short for Valentine (think Valentine Warner - British TV chef, St Valentine).

I think it's quite a nice name.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

My aunt is married to a Val. Again, I think it's short for Valentine.

I think I've changed my mind on the name Frieda... I'm worried it's too old fashioned and too "heavy" a name. So we've come up with Rebecca Marie for a girl, and Robert John (same as it's always been) for a boy. I feel kinda bad for changing my mind as it's my oh's grandmothers name (different spelling) but Robert is his father's name and he's convinced it's gonna be a boy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Minxy Moo

Our local GP's name is Val :) so there 's a few around alright. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Our name for a girl is Elizabeth Jane. We would call her Beth for short however I'm going to go with Elizabeth so she'll have a choice when she's older. Both of the names are after my sisters - each one is the middle name of each of my 2 sisters.

Boys name is a bit out there so would welcome feedback - Fraser.

I like the idea of strong names for boys - my 2 year old is Pearse. However I don't know if Fraser is too weird - my husband loves it too but we're worried it's just a bit too 'left!' I used to work with a Fraser - man in his 50s - and as soon as I was introduced I thought - what a cool name - but now that it's crunch time I'm kinda bottling it.

Honest opinions please - my hubby and I have an agreement not to discuss names with family as to be honest they can influence too much - made the mistake on my son and then as soon as we decided on Pearse we told no one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I like
    Sophie
    Eva
    Katie
    Caitlin
    Ella
    Siofra
    Bronagh For girls

For boys I like
    Conor
    David
    Darragh

Thats all the boys names I like for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

If I ever have kids these are the names I would like in particular Irish names!
    I often change my list from time to time, just going with names I like at the moment for a girl and a boy.

Girls names:
    Adrianna
    Laoise
    Saoirse
    Roisín
    Isabelle/Isabella
    Ameilia
    Amiee
    Aobh/Aoibh
    Sara
    Sarah
    Eve
    Doreen
    Emma
    Carmel
    Caroline
    Sinead
    Caoimhe
    Alish/Aleesh
    Aileen
    Louise
    Brianna

Boys Names:
    Aodán
    Cillian
    Damien
    Donal
    Fionn
    Darragh
    Darran/Darren
    Noel
    Padraig
    Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

highly1111 wrote: »
    Our name for a girl is Elizabeth Jane. We would call her Beth for short however I'm going to go with Elizabeth so she'll have a choice when she's older. Both of the names are after my sisters - each one is the middle name of each of my 2 sisters.

I like the idea of strong names for boys - my 2 year old is Pearse. However I don't know if Fraser is too weird - my husband loves it too but we're worried it's just a bit too 'left!' I used to work with a Fraser - man in his 50s - and as soon as I was introduced I thought - what a cool name - but now that it's crunch time I'm kinda bottling it.

Honest opinions please - my hubby and I have an agreement not to discuss names with family as to be honest they can influence too much - made the mistake on my son and then as soon as we decided on Pearse we told no one!!

I like the name Fraser and have considered it myself - it's a common enough name in Scotland so I know it's not overused here but it's not too out there!! I know a Fraser in Ireland also. I think it's nice to have names which aren't too common. I'm due a girl in feb and her name is chosen and slightly unusual - I wouldn't even say it on here so it stays uncommon!!! I have a slightly unusual name and love it! Stick to it - it's a great name :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I really like Fraser! It's nice to have unusual boys names. Too many Daniels and Daraghs and Fionns running around!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Devin for a boy. family name on the bfs side. and Ismay for a girl. Family name on my side of the family!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Love Devin, I know a guy called Dev, but I thought it was after De Valera. Ismay is also lovely for a girl but I'm in the market for a boys name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Starting to like Andrina as a name for a girl. Short for Alexandrina.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

Fraser is a lovely name and as already mentioned it's common enough in Scotland and the north of England but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Thady for a boy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Devin is a nice name. My little sister is Devlin. It's in the baby book as a boy's name, but it's also my gran's maiden name, and mum chose it when she was pregnant, whether it was going to be a girl or boy. I only think of it as a girl's name now but it'd be lovely for a boy too. I think it's quite nice, rather sickened mum thought of it!
    My girl's names are Kate/Katie, Kimberley, Ella and Sophie.
    I'm having to go back to the drawing board with my boys names though: I always loved James but that's my OH's name and I don't want to do the naming after daddy thing; Michael was another one but the OH has too many family members with that name; and Luke doesn't go with OH's surname. So much for all those!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

I've had Hannah picked out since I was a kid!

I like Hannah, Daisy, Lucia, Amelie, Realtin (i fada) and Alicia.
    Realtin is kind of hard to say but I love how it means little star

For boys I like Adam, Danny and Shane.

I like when girls names are delicate and boys names are real "boy" names :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

With about 3 weeks to go, we are down to 2 names, and we just cannot choose between them! One day it's one name, next day the other one is my favourite. Think we'll end up tossing a coin! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

doovdela wrote: »
    Starting to like Andrina as a name for a girl. Short for Alexandrina.

Poor child

Advertisement