Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ever big fat chewy choc-chip cookies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Made the ones in the OP last week, they were delicious!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I made them last week, but I didn't flatten them enough on the tray and they stayed too thick :(. Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Faith wrote: »
    I made them last week, but I didn't flatten them enough on the tray and they stayed too thick :(. Fail.

That's weird cos when I did them I dropped them onto the tray in balls, kind of golf ball sized. They melted down to flat discs in the heat of the oven after a few minutes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

rgiller wrote: »
    That's weird cos when I did them I dropped them onto the tray in balls, kind of golf ball sized. They melted down to flat discs in the heat of the oven after a few minutes

I put my batter in the fridge for ages to harden up. I can't remember where I read to do that though, or if it was for a different recipe :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Thick cookies = High heat, short time, cold butter (e.g. 180-190c, 8-10mins, batter straight from fridge)
    Thin cookies = Lower heat, longer time, warm butter (e.g. 160c, 12-14mins, batter at room temperature or straight after mixing)

It's a race between the egg white setting and the butter melting and spreading. That's why the higher heat sets the egg white faster and the butter can't spread anymore, resulting in a thick cookie. The lower heat reduces this effect, resulting in a thin cookie.

Leave some batter in your fridge for 3 days and you'll be amazed at how much deeper the flavour develops. And besides, it's only a fail if they're burnt - chococolate-chip cookies are great no matter what shape and size :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Thick cookies = High heat, short time, cold butter (e.g. 180-190c, 8-10mins, batter straight from fridge)
    Thin cookies = Lower heat, longer time, warm butter (e.g. 160c, 12-14mins, batter at room temperature or straight after mixing)

It's a race between the egg white setting and the butter melting and spreading. That's why the higher heat sets the egg white faster and the butter can't spread anymore, resulting in a thick cookie. The lower heat reduces this effect, resulting in a thin cookie.

Leave some batter in your fridge for 3 days and you'll be amazed at how much deeper the flavour develops. And besides, it's only a fail if they're burnt - chococolate-chip cookies are great no matter what shape and size :)

Did not know that! I actually like slightly thick cookies. Chewier, yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Tried these today, really nice, I use a little less sugar then it states in the recipe (220 g).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Just giving this ever-useful thread a well-deserved bump as I am making these again today. Will post pics after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Misfitt

Hi!
    I love this thread, so much great advice for a cookie rookie such as myself :) I'm going to attempt to bake these today :)

I am however wondering, is there a way to convert the recipe from the OP to Double Chocolate Chip cookies?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

LOL cookie rookie :)

Yes, simply sub about 1oz of the flour for cocoa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Misfitt

Definitely going to try that. Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cordni

Wow these are sooo good. I followed recipe exactly and then put the mixture into the fridge for an hour. I overcooked the first batch a bit and they turned out very crispy but nice. Second batch, I reduced cooking time by a few minutes, these one's turned out really nice, crispy with a chewy centre. So easy to make :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Hi all, bit of an emergency post! I mis-read the recipe and put in baking powder instead of baking soda (1/2 teaspoon of). I have the dough in the fridge at the moment, are they likely to turn out completely wrong? Is there anything I can do now to correct my mistake?

No they will be fine, I used baking powder in mine. Actually I didn't know there was a difference between baking powder and baking soda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I made two batches of these at the weekend (I was the one who used baking powder instead of baking soda, was using my hubby's log in!) I can confirm that they were perfect with the baking powder!

First batch, used 240g of sugar, and about 240g of Galaxy Hazelnut. Left the mixture overnight and baked for 15mins (used a potato scoop to scoop them out so they were quite large) I felt they were cooked just right after 15 mins. They tasted amazing! I could not believe that something I made turned out so well! Crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside. Brought them over to the in-laws and everyone thought they were fab. They really are fool proof.

Second batch, I dropped the sugar by another 20g to 220 and used 120g of Galaxy Hazelnut and 120g of plain Galaxy. I refrigerated for 3 hours for the second batch. I felt the second batch weren't as nice. I noticed that there was less sugar and the texture was a bit more 'bready'

I would stick to the method I used in the first batch the next time. Thanks again OP, thanks to you, my inlaws think I am a master baker :D

Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to think these cookies are spreading their tasty happiness about :-)

good call with the galaxy hazelnut! :)

Eviledna wrote: »
    Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside to think these cookies are spreading their tasty happiness about :-)

good call with the galaxy hazelnut! :)

Yes these truely are the yummiest cookies. I am going to try a batch with chopped up toblerone.

Eviledna - as you are now a cookie guru in my mind :D and I am feeling a cocky glow after the sucess of the chocolate chip cookies, I am keen to try more cookies. Do you by any chance have a nice recipe for shortbread, or a nice oaty cookie?

There is so many online, it's hard to know what will be nice.

:) Ah thanks, I'm happy to share.

In fact I posted my favourite oaty choc chip cookies earlier in this thread, these are also fool proof and are much more of a meal of a cookie.

Enjoy!
    In my quest to find the best choc-chip cookies ever, I have come across another beautiful recipe.

You know that early episode of Friends where Phoebe has to tell Rachel that Paulo hit on her, so she softens the blow with her "Best Ever Oat and Raisin Cookies"? As soon as I saw that episode, I always wanted to try those cookies. Now I hate raisins, but love oats. I take a "feck fruit" attitude when it comes to cookies, and after trying a multitude of recipes and ALOT of failures, I have found:

THE BEST-EVER OATY CHOC-CHIP NUTTY COOKIES smile.gif

So of course my first thought was to share it with all you cookie-lovers!

Credit to Tamsin Day Lewis, whose recipe is in her book "The Kitchen Bible"

Ingredients

5oz/142g butter
    8oz/225g Light Brown Sugar
    1 egg
    2 drops Vanilla Extract
    4oz/114g Plain Flour
    1tsp baking powder
    8oz/225g rolled oats (Instant microwave oats also work a treat here!)

3oz/85g Dark or Milk Chocolate Chips to taste
    +
    3oz/85g Whole hazelnuts, smashed up a little to break up.

Method:

Preheat Oven to 180 degrees C.
    Cream together Butter and Sugar,
    Beat in Egg and Vanilla
    Sift in Flour and Baking Powder and mix
    Fold in Oats.

Then add the 6oz of choc-chips and nuts. Now this recipe is great because you can modify the "chips" in it to be anything, here I've used nuts and chocolate, you could use raisins and chocolate, raspberrys and white choc, carob, smarties, anything you like as long as it adds up to 6oz! This way you can have them as rich as you like or as oaty as you like. Even orange peel and dark choc would be lovely.

At this point you will have to get in with your hands and bring the mixture together. This is almost an all-in-one-bowl recipe, great for kids.
    Take a tablespoon of the mixture and form a ball. Place on a parchment-lined (not greaseproof!) baking tray and space an inch apart.
    The mixture should fill two-three baking trays and make 30 cookies. It is best not to make these cookies large as they are quite oaty and filling. A small bite of chocolatey crumbly heaven is enoughbiggrin.gif

Place the trays of cookies in the oven at 180 for approx. 20 mins, check them at 15mins, make sure they aren't too brown. There is no need to have these cookies well done, they should be blonde, not dark.

Remove from baking tray when just cool and enjoy with a Huge Mug Of Tea.pacman.gif

Eviledna wrote: »
    :) Ah thanks, I'm happy to share.

In fact I posted my favourite oaty choc chip cookies earlier in this thread, these are also fool proof and are much more of a meal of a cookie.

Enjoy!

Brilliant! Thank you so much! Will try those at the weekend.

*stupid question alert* I have Flahavans porridge oats, would they do for this recipe?

• Advertisement

There are no stupid questions...only delicious cookies :D

Yup Flahavans will be perfect! *sings 80's ad* Golden froshty mornin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Just made 2 batches of these.First the same as yours and the second with chunky peanut butter instead of chocolate.

They are perfect and they shut the horrible squabbly kids up for a bit and i cant thank you enough for that :D

:) No doubt when I have kids someday they will be very fat. Cookies shut everyone up!!:p

damagegt wrote: »
    Just made 2 batches of these.First the same as yours and the second with chunky peanut butter instead of chocolate.

They are perfect and they shut the horrible squabbly kids up for a bit and i cant thank you enough for that :D

Oh the second batch sound goooooood :D. How much peanut butter do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

damagegt wrote: »

Next time: peanut butter and chocolate together. Now THAT would be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

ncmc wrote: »
    Oh the second batch sound goooooood :D. How much peanut butter do you use?
    I used about half a jar of chunky peanut butter.I found one in my pocket out fishing at 3 this morning.I was never so happy in my life.Thanks again for a great recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

just made these for the first time for a bake sale at work tomorrow-amazing, they ARE the m&s ones. made them with dairy milk whole nut, so so so good, thanks OP!!

The problem with these cookies made for bake sales is the en-route pre-work snarfings :D

hope they sell out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

i made a batch specifically to be eaten before we got as far as work. :o yup, huge success, am now regarded at work as a kind of cookie goddess :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭elaine.rodger

I was just wondering what white sugar do you use is it caster sugar or normal sugar and what brown sugar do you use? Cant wait to try these out they look and sound class! :D

Advertisement