Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ever big fat chewy choc-chip cookies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Anthing with a hard candy shell won't melt, but might blister in the heat. Doesn't effect the taste.
    Fudge pieces melt in a bit, depending on the hardness. Tasty though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Did you do anything special when mixing in the fudge? Seemed to me the dough was quite dense where as fudge is generally very soft so would it not just get totally crushed?

There's only one thing for it...get in with your hands! Make sure your hands are nice and clean, and when you get to the final chip-adding stage, drop in chopped fudge and get squelching with your hands. It is a dense mix so it's the only (brilliantly messy) way.

I was the child who made mud pies :o

lol, yeah I used my (gloved :p) hands last time when I realised the wooden spoon was pretty useless. I'd still be afraid of crushing softer bits but sure I'll give it a go :D

I made some more Eviledna but this time I put some soft fruit flavour jellies on the top of them before cooking. They melted into little pools on the cookie but they taste bloody gorgeous :D

• Advertisement

Oh NYOM, that sounds gorgeous!

Made some hazelnut toffee lastnight as part of halloween preparations, I might pop some into the cookies I'm making on Friday! I'll let you know how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm going to make the original recipe in this thread tonight but I'm making the hot cookie dough dessert thing you get in Pizza Hut rather than cookies.

Hopefully it will go well. :)

Edit: Uncooked cookie dough is the business.

Ooh please post the recipe when you're done!

Yup am making the big fat ones tonight myself...happy days!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Well I made the cookie dough in the OP but with less sugar (about 280g altogether). Lashed about 3/4 of it into an 8 inch oven proof dish and into the over for 15 minutes. The top got slightly crispy and inside was gooey chocolaty dough. It was heaven, and fairly close the the Pizza Hut version. Bit of vanilla ice cream on the side and it's perfect. It's the kind of dessert that has to be eaten right out of the oven but we have some leftover so hopefully it'll heat up nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Man o man. I made these the other day. Needless to say, I have none left. I've also been sharing the receipe around.

Now, I made a bit of an error when spooning them out, and didn't leave enough room between the cookies, so I ended up with one mahoosive cookie, the size of the baking tray!:pac: Munch.

Word of warning to the ill informed and/or unpractised. 15 minutes was plenty in the oven, as mine were still quite soft at the 15 minute mark, I left them in. But after I took them out they continued to cook from their own heat.

The next time I'm making them, Smarties have the answer, and are going into the mix, and I will be making them with a "modified" butter recipe, but thats not for discussion here, and then they will be mega.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I finally made these today - with lots of roughly chopped Dairy Milk and fudge.
    OMG they're amazing :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

janeybabe wrote: »
    Well I made the cookie dough in the OP but with less sugar (about 280g altogether). Lashed about 3/4 of it into an 8 inch oven proof dish and into the over for 15 minutes. The top got slightly crispy and inside was gooey chocolaty dough. It was heaven, and fairly close the the Pizza Hut version. Bit of vanilla ice cream on the side and it's perfect. It's the kind of dessert that has to be eaten right out of the oven but we have some leftover so hopefully it'll heat up nicely.

Some photographic evidence. And I have to say it was absolutely amazing, even when reheated the next day for about 30 seconds in the microwave.

cookiedough.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Any one know a good gluten free alternative to the original recipe?

Thanks

You could try to substitute the 2cups white flour with 1cup oat flour and 1 cup grahm (chickpea) flour. It would make them much more dense and nutty, and definitely more filling, but it might work? Try spooning them out in smaller amounts.
    Or actually you could try this tritamyl flour from Odlums...gluten free! Just replace the whole two cups with it. These cookies aren't bready, so probably don't really need the gluten, it's more the sugars in the recipe that makes them so yummy (and bad for your teeth/insulin):pac:

Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Eviledna wrote: »
    You could try to substitute the 2cups white flour with 1cup oat flour and 1 cup grahm (chickpea) flour. It would make them much more dense and nutty, and definitely more filling, but it might work? Try spooning them out in smaller amounts.
    Or actually you could try this tritamyl flour from Odlums...gluten free! Just replace the whole two cups with it. These cookies aren't bready, so probably don't really need the gluten, it's more the sugars in the recipe that makes them so yummy (and bad for your teeth/insulin):pac:

Let us know how you get on!

Will try that defo, thanks a million... Don't want them bready want crispy cookies!!! Can get them in dunnes but are 3.49 for 9!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I baked them, I'm a bit of a rookie when it comes to baking.
    I over did them by maybe 5 mins in the oven, they came out a little too crispy I think, but they're still excellent.

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Made a batch exactly to the recipe and they were too sweet and too salty for my liking. Going to try it again with adjusted quantities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Made these over the weekend. I reduced the sugar and added some porridge oats. We only had one egg and I didn't bother separating it.

Divine. Previously they've come out quite smooth so this time was a little different.

bestcookies.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 anthonno

My uncle used to work in Cadbury's. My Auntie still gets us loads of chocolate in the employee shop there. I never tire of Moro's, but decided to make some cookies with them a while ago. Super chewy and delicious. They were at their best slightly warm from the oven, but great for the two more days they lasted.
    Moro Chip Cookies

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Anthonno, those are enormous!

I'm not sure about anything lasting two days. More like around 15 minutes in my house.

Cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Can people please stop bumping this thread. Everytime it pops to the top of the forum, I want to make the darned things.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

corblimey wrote: »
    Can people please stop bumping this thread. Everytime it pops to the top of the forum, I want to make the darned things.

Agreed!
    *bump*
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

1bbqvv.jpg

Gorgeous! I added mixed nuts. Got 2 big ones still in the oven :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Made these last night, turned out absolutely perfectly taste and presentation wise. got 12 big ones out of it.

There as close to the M&S cookies you will get I reckon.

I'm so glad everyone makes such use of this recipe, it was such a find after many a cookie-tastrophie. Has anyone tried this with lumps of easter egg in it? I think that's next Saturday sorted for me!

[BTW, I'm the OP, the artist formerly known as Eviledna;)
    The great hack lost my account :( and I have decided to move on to another username.
    More recipes to come!,
    Edna]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I made these today, but they're waaaay too sugary, even after reducing the amount of sugar and increasing the amount of flour slightly. My teeth are still screaming! I didn't have vanilla essence at hand, so I used cinnamon instead, which I think I'll stick with if I make these again. Definitely too much sugar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Vodkat

Eviledna wrote: »
    As I am indulging in some mid-week baking, I thought I'd come on here and share my favourite cookie recipe.
    You know the huge cookies you get sometimes in shops, in packs of five from the stores "bakery", and when you bite into them, they are never quite as nice as you imagined they would be?(excluding of course m&s)

Well these are the answer. I like my huge cookies to be crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside with lots of chocolate. The M&S bakery cookies are mighty but alas, I live in the west far from M&S or superquinn. I scoured j'internet for a recipe and after many cookiedisapointments, these are perfect, and really easy to make. They are also a great treat for friends/family/OH that needs cheering up. Or when you've had one of those days. I had a day like that today. So they are cooling in the kitchen ;)

So all credits to the author, these are my best allrecipes find. Enjoy!
    Big Fat Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

I tried this recipe about two weeks ago, and the cookies.... they were to die for. It is similar to the recipe you posted. I haven't tried yours yet. But i intend to very soon. Cookies are my number 1 comfort food!!! Hoping to hear back what you guys think....

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2CqIrF/www.shelterrific.com/2007/09/03/real-life-test-kitchen-chocolate-chip-perfection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Made these today...very very nice! I also reduced the sugar by 1/3 and they were still wayyyy too sweet!!

Must try 'em with white chocolate & walnuts or something next time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Just made these now - white chocolate and cranberry.

Super yum.

Thanks OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Put some mint chocolate into mine as well as the chocolate chips - very good. Also, only made half the stated dough to give 12 decent size cookies.

Advertisement