Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So You Think You're Funny

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I seem to remember the application form said you have to be doing regular stand-up for less than a year to be eligible to enter. Of course that's open to interpretation. How often is regular? 2 gigs a month? 1 per week? 3 per week? It could have been a lot clearer IMO.
    When they rang me to ask how long I had been doing stand up I said a year and a few months. Of course when I started I was doing one gig every second month, hardly regular, so it was okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

when derek ryan entered it he called up and told them he had been doing it for 15 months and they said it was ok! same as kieran lawless this year! like gaviscon said it was REGULAR stand up for 12 months, and unpaid!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

I seem to remember the application form said you have to be doing regular stand-up for less than a year to be eligible to enter. Of course that's open to interpretation. How often is regular?

well, the guy who won it last year was at the same time as doing the competition a one-man show...for the second year in a row in edinburgh, something that the organisers definately would have known. he had received several high reviews from reknowned (for how harsh they can be) comedy critics. he was a known commodity before entering the competition. and then he won it.

from speaking to the judges, they have a clear idea of what constitutes "regular". they're not idiots and have in the past weeded out those who have been around and are trying to scam their way in for a cheap win. from talking to the uk comedians this year, what constitutes regular here does not at all mean the same thing there, where people can if they wish do four gigs a week in london alone. doing that for one year ups your experience greater than someone doing a gig every three weeks in the hapenny for two years.

i can understand someone being annoyed at people who have chronologically been doing standup for longer getting through, however, if you complain about that then you would just be similarly frustrated at the semis and then the final. sometimes you just have to shrug and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ah damon....yet again the calm voice of reason! :pac:

Advertisement