Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So You Think You're Funny

Options
  • 14-07-2008 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

On the off chance that any of the other comics on that bill post here, has anyone heard yet if they've decided who made the semifinals? I haven't heard anything from them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I haven't heard anything yet, from what I know it takes a couple of weeks, they might still have heats in England to do and won't pick anyone until the last heats are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

The heats in England are finished. I don't know if you're on Facebook but if so you should "befriend" Gill Loon, who is the Gilded Balloon's Facebook profile... and said profile had the profile status of "Gill has finished So You Think Your'e Funny? Showcases and winners will be notified in the next few days." ... that was at 10 am on the 10th. Then today it says "Gill Loon would like to thank every one who competed in this years SYTYF."

So where does that leave us? I don't want to be pessimistic but it kind of sounds like they're finished and they've told people what's what.

You suppose this is like a job interview where if the answer is No, they don't even bother telling you?

Sorry mate but I'm not sure myself I'm afraid. A couple of other people who entered this year post on here regularly so I'm sure someone else might be able to help you out.

Best of luck with it, I hope you made it through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

Yo, Julia said that if you didn't make it through then you wouldn't be getting a phone call .... I didn't get a phone call.

An e-mail would be nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

ah by this point winners have been notified! they were due to call eeryone who made it between the 11th and 14th so unfortunatley thats a no for most of us! :(

edit:
    SlimJ how in the hell did you not get a fone call?!?! you completely stormed it that night!!

• Advertisement

My set was listed word-for-word from a Redd Fox set from 1949. I figured they wouldn't have heard the jokes, but apparently they had.

Good ol' Redd.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So far I havent heard from anyone who made it through. Apparently the decision should have been made by now...

Maybe no one qualified?!!?!? :eek:

So far I know of 2 people from the Irish heats who have qualified, don't want to say their names though in case there are still people being told they made it

orestes wrote: »
    So far I know of 2 people from the Irish heats who have qualified, don't want to say their names though in case there are still people being told they made it

nah man by this point the winners have all been notified, who made it thru?

Yeah Orestes, who made it through?

• Advertisement

As far as I know Kieran Lawless and Kevin Goldsmith have both made it through, other people might have too that I'm just not aware of yet

Ehm ... now I may be wrong here but isn't Keiran Lawless at comedy years & so would be uneligible to enter the competition?

Fair play to him for getting through but it's not exactly fair now is it?!

I'm making some sour grape juice if anyone wants any!

halfwit dude alot of people who entered that comp have been doin comedy a while, hell kevin goldsmith was on joy in the hood ffs! they are both class comedians and defo deserved to make it thru! try not to choke on the sour grapes! :pac: ;) (btw do i know you in RL? you entered the comp so maybe i do)

halfwit dude alot of people who entered that comp have been doin comedy a while, hell kevin goldsmith was on joy in the hood ffs! they are both class comedians and defo deserved to make it thru! try not to choke on the sour grapes! :pac: ;) (btw do i know you in RL? you entered the comp so maybe i do)

I said fair play didn't I! I wish them every success in the world & any spotlight thrown on them will reflect well on Irish comedians as a whole ...

BUT

All I'm saying is it's slightly unfair to put a bunch of pros up against a bunch of newbies in a comp that's for newbies. You dig?

I don't know if we've met but I'm Steve Elliott (big hairy bastid). I was in the comp Sunday 6th at the 4pm show.

Well Lawless has only been doing regular stand up a bit longer than I have...
    Which is depressing for me.

All I'm saying is it's slightly unfair to put a bunch of pros up against a bunch of newbies in a comp that's for newbies. You dig?.

its nothing new, tommy tiernan won it after years of comedy, as did dylan moran and peter kay!

its nothing new, tommy tiernan won it after years of comedy, as did dylan moran and peter kay!

Racial discrimination is nothing new either but it's hardly fair now is it?

... oh ... it's the over-reaction police come to take me away. See yis later ....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

Alot of comedians recommend waiting til youre doing it a couple of years, and lying on the form. I didnt, alas, I did it me first year.

More news on this, apparently Kevin Loughlin and Garoid Farrelly also made it through

orestes wrote: »
    More news on this, apparently Kevin Loughlin and Garoid Farrelly also made it through

not surprising, both class comedians!

• Advertisement

I don't know if we've met.

I believe you and i met last night ;)

Galvasean wrote: »
    I believe you and i met last night ;)

Awh god you weren't that chick that dragged me out to Bray Thursday night were you!?

Awh god you weren't that chick that dragged me out to Bray Thursday night were you!?

Eh... no. That wasn't me... I was the Dawson's Creek fetish guy

Galvasean wrote: »
    Eh... no. That wasn't me... I was the Dawson's Creek fetish guy

Ah, or as I like to call you ... my second choice ... wink!

Joey.. is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

All I'm saying is it's slightly unfair to put a bunch of pros up against a bunch of newbies in a comp that's for newbies. You dig?.

It's not a comp for newbies, everybody knows that the standards are much higher then that. Gar Murran got through last year for example, even though he had won the bulmers competition the year before. Also none of the people who entered the Dublin heats were professional comedians so I don't know which pro's you were referencing.

squidgey wrote: »

It's not a comp for newbies, everybody knows that the standards are much higher then that. Gar Murran got through last year for example, even though he had won the bulmers competition the year before. Also none of the people who entered the Dublin heats were professional comedians so I don't know which pro's you were referencing.

I used the term pro as a general blanket term for someone who has been at stand-up on a regular basis for quite some time. I'm a man who sticks to rules & guidlines so it really boils my piss when other people flaut them.

Now, the term newbie is someone who is new to stand-up. Not someone who is bad at stand-up so your comment about standards does not apply. If its not a competition for new comedians then why is it that the webiste cleary states "The best stand-up comedy competition for newcomers."

http://www.gildedballoon.co.uk/so_you_think_youre_funny.html

The arguement is over ... I've won. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

Now, the term newbie is someone who is new to stand-up. Not someone who is bad at stand-up

Same thing really. Well not that the individual is bad, but they're inexperienced. Somebody could have a good mix of delivery/material/stage presence/crowd control/audience interaction for somebody who is new to comedy, so they aren't bad for a new comedian. But they will become a much better comedian after they have done 2-300 gigs, they are nowhere near to reaching their potential. They wouldn't have what it takes to win a competition like the SYTYF. The standards for that competition are too high, it doesn't matter if you're the next Bill Cosby if you're doing comedy less then 2 years you ain't gonna win that competition. If you don't believe me go and watch the finals over in Scotland, and see what I'm talking about.

The term newcomer that the Gilded Balloon use in my opinion refers to comedians that to the general public are newbies. The small % of people who are on the circuit or go to local comedy on a regular basis will know these people but that average Joe on the street would never have heard of them. They haven't had their big break yet, and the SYTYF competition is a platform for them to aquire that. I also made the mistake of doing SYTYF my first year, [actually it was my 2nd ever gig]. You live and learn!

squidgey wrote: »
    Same thing really. Well not that the individual is bad, but they're inexperienced. Somebody could have a good mix of delivery/material/stage presence/crowd control/audience interaction for somebody who is new to comedy, so they aren't bad for a new comedian. But they will become a much better comedian after they have done 2-300 gigs, they are nowhere near to reaching their potential. They wouldn't have what it takes to win a competition like the SYTYF. The standards for that competition are too high, it doesn't matter if you're the next Bill Cosby if you're doing comedy less then 2 years you ain't gonna win that competition. If you don't believe me go and watch the finals over in Scotland, and see what I'm talking about.

The term newcomer that the Gilded Balloon use in my opinion refers to comedians that to the general public are newbies. The small % of people who are on the circuit or go to local comedy on a regular basis will know these people but that average Joe on the street would never have heard of them. They haven't had their big break yet, and the SYTYF competition is a platform for them to aquire that. I also made the mistake of doing SYTYF my first year, [actually it was my 2nd ever gig]. You live and learn!

The rules state that you have to be doing stand-up less than a year. Thats the rule that's been broken & it's a pain in the proverbials. I understand that the quality has to be high but at the end of the day its a comp for new comedians not people who have been on TV shows & have been given a leg up because of it & not people who have been performing comedy for a few years. You dig?

They may aswell just change the rules if no one's going to adhere to them.

• Advertisement

The rules state that you have to be doing stand-up less than a year.

When your one from that comp called me to tell me I'd made it in, she asked me how long I'd been doing standup. She kinda grilled me a little about it, too. Did she not do this for everyone?

Advertisement