Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer recommends against Dreamweaver

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

p wrote: »
    Okay - notepad++ is a neat little editor I use it every day. However, I have to say, no professional web developer should be using notepad++ for day-to-day web development.

There's much better tools out there that will save you time, money and will generally improve your workflow.

Yeah fairy nuff... I only do bits n pieces of html and mostly Java and Javascript.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

adm wrote: »
    Does homesite come with dreamweaver these days?
    It used too and its a nice editor (not perfect but good enough)

Macromedia bought Homesite from Allaire Software a good few years ago and packaged it with Dreamweaver. To the best of my knowledge it's been fully integrated with Dreamweaver now - i.e. the Dreamweaver text editor is an evolved version of Homesite.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 T-max

Yes, Homesite is integrated into Dreamweaver and actually when using dreamweaver in split mode (Code/Design) window it is a gift to update data in tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Teh Russ

I've just been playing with the beta of Dreamweaver CS4 - the design-time stuff is now far, far better as it uses a proper rendering engine (I think it uses WebKit, as used in Safari and Konqueror), and the interface has been totally revamped. Much, much nicer.

I have no problem with DW - it's come on in leaps and bounds from its earlier incarnations. The design features are useful for the basic blocking-out of sites, and the code view is great. It doesn't even put in all that additional crap into the code that the old versions were infamous for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

how does it handly CSS? is it anywhere near a wysiwyg editor for CSS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

heggie wrote: »
    how does it handly CSS? is it anywhere near a wysiwyg editor for CSS?

Define WYSIWYG :)

It is an it isn't. You certainly could use it like you'd use Illustrator or something, but it will use absolute positioning for everything, and generally not be very flexible. However, if you use the WYSIWYG as a viewer, and edit all the CSS properties through the CSS panel, applying classes etc... then you can produce well coded sites that work very well.

It's not at the stage where a beginner could just 'draw' a site in it, and it would all work well, though to be honest, I think that's more down to the nature of CSS than anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

so... the same as DW CS3 then ?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

heggie wrote: »
    so... the same as DW CS3 then ?! :)
    Oh yea, there's no major differences between CS3 and CS4.

I think CSS itself will have to become more mature before we see a better WYSIWYG editor again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Textmate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I love DW's code editor, but as a wysiwyg viewer it sucks. The rendering engine falls over even with standards compliant css-layout code. I'll have sites that look fine in ie5-7, firefox, opera, safari, etc. - but they look like a Dali painting in the DW design view.

• Advertisement
Advertisement