Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Automatic Ticket Checking coming to Pearse Station

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

In operation today and I wouldn't call it a resounding success. There's not nearly enough of them on the Southbound platform and so there were are a large mass of people pushing up against them to get out today.

On a positive note, they opened the double doors at the bottom of the stairs preventing the normal idiotic congestion at the old turnstiles that made exiting Pearse such a ain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,759 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

bear in mind - they are building a new plaza under Pearse and there will presumably be extra turnstiles on the way out to this (this - I'm guessing - is where the boxed-off stairways on the southbound platform lead to).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

loyatemu wrote: »
    bear in mind - they are building a new plaza under Pearse and there will presumably be extra turnstiles on the way out to this (this - I'm guessing - is where the boxed-off stairways on the southbound platform lead to).

Would that not be to the new interconnecter?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

davton wrote: »
    Would that not be to the new interconnecter?

They wont be doing the work for that now. Dont even think they have a tender done for it or anything

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kearnsr wrote: »
    They wont be doing the work for that now. Dont even think they have a tender done for it or anything

ye i understand that, but isnt that what the underground section is for? I think there is a picture even in the station its all white, tunnel like and shows people walking along?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is other work on-going at the moment in Pearse.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Platform 2's are in operation, Platform 1's are not, or at least were not at the evening peak this evening.

They seem to be installing a lot more gates on Platform 2 than 1 - as well as about five of them at the top of the stairs there is a load of them (along with a cabin) going in at the top of the ramp. IMO Platform 2 needs to have a lot more gates than are installed - how are people getting off Maynooth/Dundalk terminating trains fairing exiting the station in the morning peak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Normally you install technology which is either faster or cheaper than humans doing that job, this morning not only was it about 3 times longer to get out of the station but the same 5 or 6 lads who normally are checking tickers were standing around supervising the machines that were checking the tickets, great use of resources CIE :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=400
    Automatic Ticket Checking: Pearse Station, from 31st July by Corporate Communications

Following the successful introduction of Automatic ticket checking at various stations, Iarnród Éireann are set to introduce this system to Pearse Station from 31st July 2008 for passengers alighting Southbound services, and from early August on the Northbound services.

The introduction of this system is part of Iarnród Éireann's ongoing policy of stamping out instances of fare evasion and will be supported by regular spot checks at other stations.

Further installations at other key locations will follow shortly.

Furthermore, the introduction of Automatic Ticket Checking at Pearse Station is part of a phased redevelopment of our busiest station.

Further phases will be delivered to enhace the station environment and provide customers with a first class station facility.

Some customers will be used to seeing our new ticket gates at other stations. The gates couldn't be easier to use. Simply insert your ticket face-up into the slot at the front, take your ticket from the slot on top and pass through.

A specially designed wide-aisle gate ensures that mobility impaired customers and passengers with prams or buggies will be comfortably accomodated.

If you have any queries in relation to the system, our staff in Pearse Station will be happy to help.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

So why couldn't they afford proper fast gates? I mean the best solution is probably to fire whatever idiot is the head of ticket systems and hire whoever runs or designed the London underground system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Red Alert wrote: »
    So why couldn't they afford proper fast gates? I mean the best solution is probably to fire whatever idiot is the head of ticket systems and hire whoever runs or designed the London underground system.

I think its done by a tender process so they cant just pick which one they want. The would send out specs and award the tender based on several key factors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

kearnsr wrote: »
    I think its done by a tender process so they cant just pick which one they want. The would send out specs and award the tender based on several key factors

But surely one of the key factors would be throughput of passengers?

Do they have a particular gate for people with annual passes to go through to avoid having their cards scrambled by the validators, like at Connolly?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Shouldn't the gates be programmed NOT to 'validate' the passes or is that also too difficult?

Advertisement