Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Automatic Ticket Checking coming to Pearse Station

Options
  • 10-07-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/general_news.asp?action=view&news_id=400
    Automatic Ticket Checking coming to Pearse Station by Corporate Communications

Following the successful introduction of Automatic ticket checking at various stations, Iarnród Éireann are set to introduce this system to Pearse Station from late-July 2008.

The introduction of this system is part of Iarnród Éireann's ongoing policy of stamping out instances of fare evasion and will be supported by regular spot checks at other stations.

Further installations at other key locations will follow shortly.

Furthermore, the introduction of Automatic Ticket Checking at Pearse Station is part of a phased redevelopment of our busiest station.

Further phases will be delivered to enhace the station environment and provide customers with a first class station facility.

Some customers will be used to seeing our new ticket gates at other stations. The gates couldn't be easier to use. Simply insert your ticket face-up into the slot at the front, take your ticket from the slot on top and pass through.

A specially designed wide-aisle gate ensures that mobility impaired customers and passengers with prams or buggies will be comfortably accomodated.

If you have any queries in relation to the system, our staff in Pearse Station will be happy to help.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The new exit gates have been installed on Platform 2. Yes that's right, the gates are actually ON the platform! Can see a Health and safety hazard coming when hundreds of people get off at once on trains terminating on Platform 2 (mainly Maynooth and Northern line trains).

This is only the second terminal station to have had exit validation fitted. At Connolly it only worked because there was the sheer space to fit about twenty of the things (in every other station there is typically three or four exit gates). No such space at Pearse.

Wonder what they will do at Platform 1? Harder to fit the gates on Platform 1 than Platform 2, Platform 2's exit is at the end of the platform but Platform 1's isn't meaning putting the gates on the platform is a non-runner. Maybe they will go in the space cleared by the removal of Spar?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Am I missing something? WHy not just put them where the old turnstiles are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

icdg wrote: »
    Maybe they will go in the space cleared by the removal of Spar?

Just passed it there this morning and that looks like what they are doing. Presumably, those with tickets will go up the right side, towards platform 1.
    MOH wrote: »
    Am I missing something? WHy not just put them where the old turnstiles are now?

I suppose because of the disruption that it would cause. That is the main thoroughfare at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I presume all these new gates have all got touch pads. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Crap, it used to be great to be able to hop back to pearse and switch stations if ya were waiting and wanted a seat and had 20 or so minutes to spare from connolly. Tickets were the same price, and the guys never minded, but now that won't really be possible,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

FuzzyLogic wrote: »
    Crap, it used to be great to be able to hop back to pearse and switch stations if ya were waiting and wanted a seat and had 20 or so minutes to spare from connolly. Tickets were the same price, and the guys never minded, but now that won't really be possible,

There's a subway under the track. Nothing to stop you doing this.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    If you read the original post, or have been in pearse lately, you would see that the barriers block the exit/entrance to one of the platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,758 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If you read the original post, or have been in pearse lately, you would see that the barriers block the exit/entrance to one of the platforms.

yes, but apart from the main concourse there is also a subway between the 2 platforms that will still be accessible without going through any barriers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Haven't been in Pearse in a few years - did they actually close the shop in the station?

loyatemu wrote: »
    yes, but apart from the main concourse there is also a subway between the 2 platforms that will still be accessible without going through any barriers
    Ohh yeah! I remember that now from years ago. jesus, I always walked down and up the front! Have some thanks :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

This is true, that subway isn't barriered as far as I know.

IMO they didnt put the barriers where the ones are now as they'll have more barriers by putting them at each platform. I think they're putting barriers up on platform 1 after you've gone upstairs. If you go up the ramp on platform one they've extended the area and the ground seems to look like it's fitted for machines. i don't know what they're doing at the old Spar area, maybe putting in lots of machines to purchase tickets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

That sounds a bit snide. :P :)

Where abouts are these barriers, where the cafe on the Platform is? It sounds like it would be difficult to do the same on the far platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

I'd imagine the ticket barriers will be at the top of the long ramp, as there is a very large clearing there now. Don't know what they would do about the steps in this case then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I hope they put in a decent amount of them since its such a busy station. In grand canal dock its terrible, only 3 machines for the whole station. No other ways in or out. Its especially bad when 2 trains arrive at the same time. Connolly seems to be the best set-up

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

If they put them where I am thinking, then there should be heaps of room for a decent amount of them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

IIMII wrote: »
    Haven't been in Pearse in a few years - did they actually close the shop in the station?

Yeah, the Spar has been closed for a couple of months now. There's still the coffee shop on Platform 2 that was closed for a while over the winter but has since re-opened. There's also (currently beyond the turnstiles) a dry-cleaning place and a key cutting place! Quite unusual to have in a railway station IMO, but there you go.

The gates on platform 2 are opposite the coffee shop. Thanks to a nice pre-existing set-up of barriers its possible to do that as its the way to exit the platform anyway.

I wonder if the subway between platforms 1 and 2 will be kept open indefinitely or closed at some point as part of the redevelopment? Its handy as both the coffee shop and toilets are on Platform 2.

That sounds a bit snide. :P :)
    Sorry man, hard to express tone online :P
    Can't believe I forgot about that subway thing.
    Thats how woolheaded I am in the mornings and evenings before/after work I guess ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I'm sure I'm being totally stupid but do you mean there is an underground path between pearse and connolly??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm sure I'm being totally stupid but do you mean there is an underground path between pearse and connolly??? :confused:

Nah, just from platform 1 to platform 2 in Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

Anyone know if these gates are coming to Heuston?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That is the suggestion. How it will be impremented is another matter - they could wait until the Interconnector is in place and suburban passengers wouldn't be terminating, reducing the load.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It appears this is now partially installed at Pearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I actually hate these machines. They are ridiculous. You put in your ticket and either stop to wait a second or two until it opens or continue walking and have to take a step back to make it open.

And more than one person can walk through at one time so theyre really bad

I wish they had have installed whatever they use in London. It's so fast, you never have problems with it and it let's only one person through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I actually hate these machines. They are ridiculous. You put in your ticket and either stop to wait a second or two until it opens or continue walking and have to take a step back to make it open.

And more than one person can walk through at one time so theyre really bad

I wish they had have installed whatever they use in London. It's so fast, you never have problems with it and it let's only one person through

What's wrong with turnstyles? - have very few problems with them. Given that they allow passengers to pass from either direction, why can't they have two way ticket automation built in?

IMO, turnstyles are better!

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

These machines will cause massive delays for people, already when there's 2 chaps checking tickets at the bottom of the stairs it's slow but the machines wont be able to process the people coming off peak trains, I can see a mass crushing there some morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

If you're talking about the new gates with the sensors and the glass panels then yes i think they suck. Theyre slow and dont open as you walk :mad:

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    These machines will cause massive delays for people, already when there's 2 chaps checking tickets at the bottom of the stairs it's slow but the machines wont be able to process the people coming off peak trains, I can see a mass crushing there some morning.

the ones on the northbound platform are worryingly close to the platform - it doesn't seem like a safe arrangement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Are the gona just shut them off when it doesnt suit? ie at peak times? Wasnt working this morning

they're not commissioned yet - they were still installing the northbound barriers this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

they're not commissioned yet - they were still installing the northbound barriers this morning.

The southbound ones were working already

Advertisement