Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LHC : when is it being turned on.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    How can you say if this prof Plaga is credible or not when the whole point of the experiment is to find out what happens.

The whole point of any experiment is to find out what happens. That doesn't mean that we have no idea what will happen - we have a very good idea in this case - it means that all scientific theory has to be tested by experiment. We want to witness in a controlled environment the kind of event that happens all the time in the atmosphere.
    I'm no physicist but even if a mini black hole is created, its still a black hole, the most powerful force known in the universe.

A black hole is not the most powerful force in the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Podge_irl wrote: »

A black hole is not the most powerful force in the universe.

yes, that would be Chuck Norris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

How can you say if this prof Plaga is credible or not when the whole point of the experiment is to find out what happens. I'm no physicist but even if a mini black hole is created, its still a black hole, the most powerful force known in the universe.

Experiments this expensive are not undertaken flippantly. The LHC is going to test rigorous predictions from substantial, peer reviewed, theoretical work. Thankfully, the end of humanity is not predicted by any physical theory. So while physicists and non-physicists are free to speculate about all sorts of exotic occurrences during the LHC's operation, peer review is there to sort prudent and thoughtful theory from sensational conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

How can you say if this prof Plaga is credible or not when the whole point of the experiment is to find out what happens. I'm no physicist but even if a mini black hole is created, its still a black hole, the most powerful force known in the universe.

Watch this and then you may revise the last statement above!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8Vr00EBHA&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Watch this and then you may revise the last statement above!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk8Vr00EBHA&feature=related

Well i just watched that video after 2 joints, deep deep stuff.11 Dimensions. Went all star trek'ish at the end though.
    Anyways the LHC isn't going to be up to full power until spring so at least we'll get christmas out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

How can you say if this prof Plaga is credible or not when the whole point of the experiment is to find out what happens.

I was not saying anything about his credibility, just pointing out that random crap found on the internet is not to be taken seriously until it has passed peer review.
    I'm no physicist but even if a mini black hole is created, its still a black hole, the most powerful force known in the universe.

Well, I am, and I hear that the LHC might have had one or two physicists involved. And as pointed out by others black holes are not "the most powerful force in the known universe" (gamma ray bursts probably have a good shot at that though). Even if a microscopic black hole were created, it would almost instantly evaporate. Also, it would be very easy to confine magnetically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

What time in our time zone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭koolkakool

barnicles wrote: »
    What time in our time zone?

it says it on this website:

http://webcast.cern.ch/index.html

don't know if its accurate though
    LHC First Beam - 10th September 2008 - 9am CEST (GMT+2)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

If anything has been published already on the prep work, anyone have journal citations?

Im not familiar with any science databases. Google scholar showed papers from 1994 on, are these theoretical or was there another collider before this one?

Not looking for reassurance, just an interested citizen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

:eek: So I won't even be awake to see the world end!!! :eek:

Better say my goodbyes now...... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭koolkakool

Dave! wrote: »
    :eek: So I won't even be awake to see the world end!!! :eek:

Better say my goodbyes now...... :(

actually i dont think it'll be at full power tomorrow.

quote from Wikipedia:
    the first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for 10 September 2008, at 7:30 GMT and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on 21 October 2008.

bit of time still :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

BBC Radio 4 are doing an excellent job coving the LHC and the physics involved.

Check it out here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/bigbang/

Michael's selected picks(!):

The Five Particles - Five 15 minute programs on some subatomic particles. Quite interesting it has to be said. Presented by Simon Singh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00d8xyx/comingup

Video Interviews - Some interesting interviews with celebrities here. Even our own Dara O'Briain is in there, he used to be a particle physicist, who knew? But by the sounds of things he doesn't like talking about it anymore...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/bigbang/videos.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

koolkakool wrote: »
    actually i dont think it'll be at full power tomorrow.

quote from Wikipedia:

bit of time still :D

Thank fook for that, I can finish my 'things to do before the LHC destroys us all' list! :D

I'm actually pretty excited, and I don't even have any physics education, so have little notion of the ramifications of this project :D But I think Brian Cox's enthusiasm is contagious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Im gonna miss all you guys! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

2 hrs and 15 mins til the end begins

EDIT: presuming it starts 3 mins late

EDIT 2: Cause then it would be 2 Hrs 12 mins

EDIT 3: Well 2hrs 10 mins if you take my editing time into account

EDIT 4: +1 hr

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭aidanco

It's going live today folks about 11am onwards lets hope it's not a black hole of doom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Bloody hell,

they are already predicting a collision for TODAY!!

Is it wrong that I am actually excited about this. I'm not even a physicist, just really really interested in it.

Damn, I still think I made a mistake in doing Biology. Grrrr, stupid career guidance in school

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Bloody hell,

they are already predicting a collision for TODAY!!

Is it wrong that I am actually excited about this. I'm not even a physicist, just really really interested in it.

Damn, I still think I made a mistake in doing Biology. Grrrr, stupid career guidance in school

Quiet you! How many physicists would have died from TB and smallpox if it wasn't for us?

http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn14699/dn14699-1_850.jpg
    Some of the first protons to be accelerated inside the Large Hadron Collider smashed into an absorbing device called a collimator at near light speed, producing a shower of particle debris recorded in this image. About an hour later the beam completed a full circuit of the 27km tunnel, to cheers from physicists.

See http://www.newscientist.com:80/article/dn14699 for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Quiet you! How many physicists would have died from TB and smallpox if it wasn't for us?

Ha Ha
    Biology gives us alcohol, 'nuff said really

They could still die from TB and smallpox was eradicated by a lunatic, who thought that the best way to test his theory was to infect a small boy with small pox.

If you were so F**king sure Jenner, why did you not test it on yourself!!

PS
    correction from above, not colliding today; reverse stream direction only it seems

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Delphi91 wrote: »

If you look really close and squint a bit, you can see Jesus's face :pac:

Why is the image a computery graphicy one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Collision was orriginally put down for 21st october, after its unveiled, dunno if thats still the plan though!

WindSock wrote: »
    If you look really close and squint a bit, you can see Jesus's face :pac:

'Cos the little pixies who normally do the graphics weren't available????

I would imagine it's 'cos the data is collected by computer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

WindSock wrote: »

What did you expect? The detectors detect the particles due to ionisation and other such processes that aren't visible to the human eye so the decay can only be represented on a computer, its not a visibly observable process.

However, cloud chamber experiments are very awesome and visibly show reactions such as this one
    uesc_03_img0160.jpg

They don't work for the experiments performed in the LHC though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

There's a live feed now from cameras inside the LHC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

dang, I was literally just going to edit and post that link !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

• Advertisement

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    There's a live feed now from cameras inside the LHC.

Is that the hacked website??? According to a story on the back of todays Irish Independent, hackers broke in on Wednesday morning as the LHC was being fired up. They stated that they didn't want to damage the LHC or intefere with the science, but they did comment on the "schoolboy" security of the system!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/09/12/scicern312.xml

Advertisement