Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LHC : when is it being turned on.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Professor_Fink

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    4 things could happen
    1. It'll work grand - most likely result, nobody will pass any notice
    2. it'll blow up - Billions down the drain.
    3. it'll blow the world up - it's not as if we'd notice
    4. it'll blow Switzerland up - they're boring cheese eating clockmakers.... :D

We've been over this and over this. Only the first one can possibly happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

We've been over this and over this. Only the first one can possibly happen.

Of course number 1 is the only possible answer, i was taking the piss :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

It will be on below on Sept 10

http://webcast.cern.ch/live.py

I wonder if they have secretly ran it already?

If like most major investments, it would have been tried and re-tried before the public ever get to see it.

Anyway imo this Atom smasher will only prove there was no stupid Big Bang and the Universe may not be expanding.

Tony Broke wrote: »
    If like most major investments, it would have been tried and re-tried before the public ever get to see it.

The public doesn't get to see anything. It's a giant underground facility that outputs an enormous amount of data. You can't watch the beam or the collisions. The data would be completely incomprehensible anyway.
    Anyway imo this Atom smasher will only prove there was no stupid Big Bang and the Universe may not be expanding.

It can't do that, and not least of all because the CMB is definitive proof of rapid expansion of the universe. But more mondanely because it doesn't do anything to probe whether or not there was a big bang.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

If it doesnt prove the existence of the Higgs Boson is the Standard Model for the bin or does it just need tweeking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Was watching a show with Brian Cox yesterday and he (and the other scientists) said that if the Higgs boson isn't revealed in CERN then it doesn't exist, and they'll have to completely rethink alot of things, because they've been wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Dave! wrote: »
    Was watching a show with Brian Cox yesterday and he (and the other scientists) said that if the Higgs boson isn't revealed in CERN then it doesn't exist, and they'll have to completely rethink alot of things, because they've been wrong!

Good show, very insightfull. It looks like proving it doesnt exist will have much more ramifications for future physics than proving its existence.

Yes indeed, that's what I was thinking too! It could be very interesting, as they could have been looking at things totally the wrong way all these years, so once they rethink it (ehh... might need a 21st century Einstein...) things could appear in a totally different light.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Are they sure that if they don't discover the Higgs Boson with this LHC it definitely doesn't exist. It's quite plausible that it just means that our current technology is still not sophisticated and powerful enough to discover it. To not discover something does not prove it doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

So this wednesday is it chaps?

Conor108 wrote: »
    So this wednesday is it chaps?

Yes

eZe^ wrote: »
    Are they sure that if they don't discover the Higgs Boson with this LHC it definitely doesn't exist. It's quite plausible that it just means that our current technology is still not sophisticated and powerful enough to discover it. To not discover something does not prove it doesn't exist.

Actually we have a good idea of the energy range in which the Higgs boson should lie, and the LHC will pretty much cover that range. If the LHC doesn't find the Higgs, then it probably doesn't exist.

Okie dokie, being a relaxed empiricist, that is all I needed to hear.

THREE CHEERS FOR THE POTENTIAL COMPLETION OF THE STANDARD MODEL!!!

Hipp Hipp.....

It's been nice knowing y'all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Actually we have a good idea of the energy range in which the Higgs boson should lie, and the LHC will pretty much cover that range. If the LHC doesn't find the Higgs, then it probably doesn't exist.

I don't think we'll find the Higgs with the LHC either, still less all those wonderful complementary particles they need to tie supersymmetry together.

Anyway I suspect physics took a wrong turn about a generation ago and disappeared up its own M-brane.

No, I don't have any theory of my own.I'm not a physicist. But when theories multiply constants, particles, dimensions and universes like codfish eggs, you can be sure something's wrong somewhere.

I think we ought to go back to general relativity and first-generation quantum mechanics and start again from there. Yep, go back a century and start afresh.

The LHC will be a huge waste of money imo, and will be the last supercollider that will ever be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Have a look at this;
    "German Astrophysicist Dr. Rainer Plaga who concludes in his August 10, 2008 paper “exclusion of dangerous mBHs thus remains not definite.” and “there is a definite risk from mBHs production at colliders. This final conclusion differs completely from the one drawn by G & M.”. Dr. Plaga proposes feasible risk mitigation measures including limiting collision energies until safety can be proven."
    http://www.wissensnavigator.com/documents/spiritualottoeroessler.pdf

Now i'm a little worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Do the detectors on LHC not get affected by measurement problem?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No, I don't have any theory of my own.I'm not a physicist. But when theories multiply constants, particles, dimensions and universes like codfish eggs, you can be sure something's wrong somewhere.

I think we ought to go back to general relativity and first-generation quantum mechanics and start again from there. Yep, go back a century and start afresh.

The LHC will be a huge waste of money imo, and will be the last supercollider that will ever be built.

What exactly is it you think theoretical physicists do while coming up with new theories? Starting "afresh" isn't going to change any of the findings that have been made over the past century.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Bah...i would have paid attention in phys/chem had cool experiments like this been going on.
    All we ever did was drop tennis balls from a window and then we had to share the tennis balls. And the window.

• Advertisement

Do the detectors on LHC not get affected by measurement problem?

I think maybe you misunderstand the 'measurement problem'. I'm not really sure whether you are refering to the problem of determining what constitutes a measurement in quantum mechanics (actually called 'the measurement probelm'), or whether you are refering to the uncertainty principal. In either case, no, it doesn't cause a substantial problem.

I guess you meant the latter. Basically the detectors let the particles spread out over quite large distances, so we aren't really in a regime where superposition of displacement is likely to be noticable.

No, I don't have any theory of my own.I'm not a physicist.

And yet you feel qualified to dismiss the work of thousands of physicists over decades?

Wetbench4 wrote: »
    Have a look at this;
    "German Astrophysicist Dr. Rainer Plaga who concludes in his August 10, 2008 paper “exclusion of dangerous mBHs thus remains not definite.” and “there is a definite risk from mBHs production at colliders. This final conclusion differs completely from the one drawn by G & M.”. Dr. Plaga proposes feasible risk mitigation measures including limiting collision energies until safety can be proven."
    http://www.wissensnavigator.com/documents/spiritualottoeroessler.pdf

Now i'm a little worried.

This is the reason we have peer review. Simply slapping together a document and sticking it on the net does not endow it with credibility (or at least shouldn't).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Well I thinking its interesting and Im glad that a lot of public interest is involved as it makes science more interesting. Not that your average irish muppet gives a toss anyway ... or our government for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

To quote Prof. Brian Cox, "Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world, is a twat".

I wonder what we'll do if the Higgs boson isn't found, does that mean we have to completely revolutionize the standard model, effectively coming up with a brand new theory explaining why photons are 'massless' and electrons have mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    To quote Prof. Brian Cox, "Anyone who thinks the LHC will destroy the world, is a twat".

That guy is a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

This obligatory video might have been posted before. But just in case...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

As of tomorrow I'm going to start using a sock puppet account and claiming to be from the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

This is the reason we have peer review. Simply slapping together a document and sticking it on the net does not endow it with credibility (or at least shouldn't).

How can you say if this prof Plaga is credible or not when the whole point of the experiment is to find out what happens. I'm no physicist but even if a mini black hole is created, its still a black hole, the most powerful force known in the universe.

Advertisement