Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All aboard the atheist bus

Options
  • 09-07-2008 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭

Well I have just pledged by 5gbp to this quite funny little idea.

Politically and intellectually is probabaly (likely) quite a useless move. But its damn funny and thats enough for me smile.gif

Do you ever get annoyed by those religious ads you see? TV comedy writer Ariane Sherine does, so she wrote an amusing article for The Guardian suggesting that atheists club together and pay for their own.

She worked out if 4,680 atheists contribute £5 that would pay for an ad on a London bendy bus for a two weeks. The slogan: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and get on with your life."

Original idea here: Freethinker

Facebook pledge point here for those on facebook: Facebook apps

And I beleive pledges can also be made: here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

She worked out if 4,680 atheists contribute £5 that would pay for an ad on a London bendy bus for a two weeks. The slogan: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and get on with your life."

Bloody militant agnostics.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pH wrote: »
    Bloody militant agnostics.
    LOL!

I am highly amused by this idea! It's a totally innocuous statement, but can you just imagine the kerfuffle when the more conservative religious get wind of the intention? :D

Perhaps we should post our own suggestions for what to go on the side of a CIE bus (though I think the one they have is great)!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

What do they have already?

Anyone happen to know the costs of advertising on a CIE?

Sorry - I meant the freethinker slogan they already have in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Well I have just pledged by 5gbp to this quite funny little idea.

Politically and intellectually is probabaly (likely) quite a useless move. But its damn funny and thats enough for me smile.gif

Do you ever get annoyed by those religious ads you see? TV comedy writer Ariane Sherine does, so she wrote an amusing article for The Guardian suggesting that atheists club together and pay for their own.

Original idea here: Freethinker

Facebook pledge point here for those on facebook: Facebook apps

And I beleive pledges can also be made: here

I'd prefer a question rather than a statement. e.g. What's the difference between faith and logic? Is it a coincidence most people believe in a God, it is the same God as their parents?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Why don't you just go out and buy your own bus, paint it up and and drive it around,:rolleyes:
    Circle lines they have few going handy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

10 euro for a can of halfords matt black :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Considering a lot of people would be far more worried if their wasn't a God than if there is one this bill board probably missing the mark some what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hah, deadly idea :D I'd be up for it

Wicknight wrote: »
    Considering a lot of people would be far more worried if their wasn't a God than if there is one this bill board probably missing the mark some what.

Erm.... it would be pointless to tell them to STOP worrying if the concept DIDNT worry them so I think its hit the mark perfectly. If there being no god DIDNT worry them and you were telling them to STOP worrying then I think youd be missing a mark completely.

This of course is not to say that I wouldnt put a slightly different message on if it was actually up to me. Im sure we all would. But this one will suffice I feel.

• Advertisement

I'm confused :(

I'd say wicknight means the average believer doesn't particularly fear God, and in fact would be more scared of a world without God.

On reflection I think maybe I'd like this displayed:

You don't need religion if you have faith in yourself.

ooooh, that's deep! Ever consider a career in motivational speaking? :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Borrowing from the RRS:

Believe in God? We can help!

Visit http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=614!

(ok, maybe the url needs a bit of work...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I don't really get the idea. What exactly are they trying to achieve, do they want a load Christian nuts phoning London Bus to complain thereby proving to themselves that some Christians are intolerant of atheism? We know this already so I think I will keep my fiver.

It is a political statement that needs to be made. After they get anooyed, which they will, it will maybe "raise their consciousness" to use a dawkinism about how their ads are viewed by us.

However I am more interested in the flip side of the motivation. I just find it plain funny. Simple as that :)

Dades wrote: »
    Perhaps we should post our own suggestions for what to go on the side of a CIE bus (though I think the one they have is great)!
    A classic bait and switch:
    "Questioning your Faith?
    Visit Catholic.ie"

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Atheists working together to promote their own unproven ideals. Yep, sounds like a religion to me. Except rather than being based on a blind faith in God(s), it's based on the blind belief that there can be no god.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I'm in. Screw the over-analyzing of the concept, it's a bit of fun and would make a point.

Personally though, I think the banner ad sections on the DART should be first choice. The Christians have had control of those for way too long.

And Robindch, you are a genius :D

stannis wrote: »
    Atheists working together to promote their own unproven ideals. Yep, sounds like a religion to me.
    I suppose vegetarianism is a religion too, then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

rolfkopterz.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Two weeks on one bus is almost 30, 000e, wtf! Expensive business.
    Wonder how much it would be here to get this stuff on buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

wonder how many british embassys in the middle east get firebombed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

stannis wrote: »
    Atheists working together to promote their own unproven ideals. Yep, sounds like a religion to me. Except rather than being based on a blind faith in God(s), it's based on the blind belief that there can be no god.

so Atheists share a blind belief in, well, nothing at all - i just can't get my head around that concept - whereas a blind faith in a big-daddy in the sky is just dandy... how does the religious brain handle logic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

someone's gotta be lining their pockets here, no way one week on one bus costs 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

i studied advertising for 2 years. If the bus is going around london and passes through the major bus stops (trafalgar square) it could possibly be even more than 30k for 2 weeks. Only major businesses and big brands usually advertise in these locations.

If the atheists did get their add on for two weeks it would make a huge statement and def get around with possible media coverage.

Instead of doing it on a bus in ireland get a big huge banner on the side of a building in a busy location. A deal could be worked out with building owner (if he is atheist) and would be much cheaper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dades wrote: »
    I suppose vegetarianism is a religion too, then?

It is if I can get tax exemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Two weeks on one bus is almost 30, 000e, wtf! Expensive business.
    Wonder how much it would be here to get this stuff on buses.

That shouldn't be a problem if you're committed to getting your message out. Just ask your guys to pony up 10% of their income for the cause. It works for us. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    Just ask your guys to pony up 10% of their income for the cause. It works for us. ;)
    And tax-free too? Hmm..., not a bad business to be in :)

Advertisement