Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids walking on wall

Options
  • 07-07-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Lately, there've been kids walking on the wall at the back of my garden - this wall spans about 30 houses, 15 each side, if you can see what I mean? They've not been doing any harm, yet, and I can't see what I could do other than give out at them, but maybe that'll just attract their scorn and general boldness! Any of you knowledgeables have any advice for me? It's making us uncomfortable, even though they're not doing anything "wrong" other than just being kids walking on wall.

Thanks

Pren

PS Edit: I found it hard to categorise this - any suggestions or movement of thread graciously accepted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hmm, OP.

I gotta say, I don't really see the issue with what you've described.

If they aren't doing any harm, then just leave them.

If they act the sh*t, then say something maybe.

But if you confront them when they aren't doing anything wrong, this may turn them into sh*ts if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Long term solution. Plant some ivy. Kids dont like plants eewww:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Prenderb wrote: »
    Lately, there've been kids walking on the wall at the back of my garden - this wall spans about 30 houses, 15 each side, if you can see what I mean? They've not been doing any harm, yet, and I can't see what I could do other than give out at them, but maybe that'll just attract their scorn and general boldness! Any of you knowledgeables have any advice for me? It's making us uncomfortable, even though they're not doing anything "wrong" other than just being kids walking on wall.

Thanks

Pren

PS Edit: I found it hard to categorise this - any suggestions or movement of thread graciously accepted.

i really don't see what the problem is

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

listermint wrote: »
    Long term solution. Plant some ivy. Kids dont like plants eewww:D

Good idea. Or some pyracantha (sp) it's got thorns. I don't really see the huge problem with it, although I'd say it's annoying though. Only thing that might be an issue is if one of them fell off the wall (I'd imagine it's about 6-7ft high?) and into your garden. Would you be liable for any injuries they sustained in the fall? As you suspect, I reckon saying anything to them would be a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

If they are doing no harm then just ignore them. It's only when you start giving out to them that they'll turn into little sh*ts. Once they get a reaction they'll continue it just to for the fun of seeing you get worked up and then they'll be there every evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Prenderb wrote: »

Thanks

Pren

Talk to them, be really chatty, kids hate that.... :D

Also remind them that you saw some "back to school" stuff in dunnes the other day ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

I think this could be something youre just going to have to ride out. If you chase them, you'll be sure to wind them up. The risk is however that one of them could fall and break their neck?? Then flippin claim off you! I dont know what to advise, if it were me, I would just quietly hope they go away eventually.

Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Sprouts

Why not have a chat with some of the other neighbors and change the top of the wall to a shape too difficult to walk on. One line of bricks all the way down wouldn't be too expensive and a lot quicker than waiting for the ivy to grow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sprouts wrote: »
    Why not have a chat with some of the other neighbors and change the top of the wall to a shape too difficult to walk on. One line of bricks all the way down wouldn't be too expensive and a lot quicker than waiting for the ivy to grow.
    What!?

Just leave them alone! They're not doing anything wrong, just being kids. Christ almighty.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,302 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Personal Issues.

Its trespass at a minimum and may lead to worse. If the kids can do this willy nilly, whats to stop someone else?

Make the top of the wall too narrow for them to walk on. Potentially, put some cement mortar on top such that each side slopes down 45 degrees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

They're just kids, leave them be. They're hurting nobody, so what's the problem?

Confronting them over something like this will likely only antagonise them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

They're just kids, leave them be. They're hurting nobody, so what's the problem?

Confronting them over something like this will likely only antagonise them.

The problem is what happens when one of them falls off the wall and breaks their arm. You'll have a solicitor at your door before you know whats happened...... Unfortunately we are a litigious country. For the OPs sake- he needs to get them off the wall, before anything happens.

In the past accidents happened. There is no such thing as an accident anymore though- someone always has to be blamed........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

smccarrick wrote: »
    The problem is what happens when one of them falls off the wall and breaks their arm. You'll have a solicitor at your door before you know whats happened...... Unfortunately we are a litigious country. For the OPs sake- he needs to get them off the wall, before anything happens.

In the past accidents happened. There is no such thing as an accident anymore though- someone always has to be blamed........

How can there be any claim against a homeowner for the stupidity of a child? If they choose to walk along a wall,fall off and break their arm/leg, then that's tough sh1t really isn't it? The homeowner isn't a babysitter for them.

DarkJager wrote: »
    How can there be any claim against a homeowner for the stupidity of a child? If they choose to walk along a wall,fall off and break their arm/leg, then that's tough sh1t really isn't it? The homeowner isn't a babysitter for them.

But the homeowner tolerated a dangerous activity on their property on an ongoing basis - hey they even sought advice on the internet about the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's no court in the country that would hold the houseowner liable if a neighbour's kid fell off their wall. What's more, only a tiny number of parents would even consider litigation.

This is not America. Judge Judy is not representative of the people of Ireland, or its laws.

Victor wrote: »
    But the homeowner tolerated a dangerous activity on their property on an ongoing basis - hey they even sought advice on the internet about the issue.

I don't see how the blame for such an accident can be placed on the homeowner. Surely when you're at home, you have better things to be doing than checking the back garden every 5 minutes for kids on the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

There is obviously a privacy and a security issue at hand here for the OP.

Skim some concrete on the top of the wall, cover in broken glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bluetonic wrote: »

This is illegal, don't do it.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    This is illegal, don't do it.

Why not? Its his property and nobody (i.e people) should have any business going near the wall anyway, if they get injured its their own fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I would say a lot of the people who have no problem with this are not homeowners! This issue affects your privacy, security and peace of mind. Imagine if you had someone coming upto the window of your apartment constantly (the boundary) and looking in at you. My last place, the kids were feckers but by being nice and chatty and non threatening they learned to accept me and eventually ignore me! Could you speak to the parents and express your concern for their safety without mentioning the litigious side of things?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

This is a ridiculous suggestion. It is highly dangerous and illegal for just that reason. Whatever about the OP having to worry about someone calling the solicitor if one of the kids fell, they could be bloody sure of it if one of them ripped themselves to bits on illegally affixed shards of ragged glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I’ve seen signs about “anti-climb” paint.

It isn’t slippery but it destroys their clothes if they come in contact with it.

Can someone point out where it outlines that is illegal to put broken glass on your own property?

Thanks in advance.

What are people going to be proclaiming next, barbed wire is illegal? A fence with a spiky top?

Can someone point out where it outlines that is illegal to put broken glass on your own property?

I can assure you it is entirely illegal. If you want to confirm this just call your local police station.

Honest to God, reading the internet has really opened my eyes to how little some Irish people have to complain about in their lives. I cant even wrap my mind around the idea of someone being distressed to the point of having to post about a few kids walking on a wall!

seahorse wrote: »
    I can assure you it is entirely illegal.
    And whats your opinion of barbed wire?
    I cant even wrap my mind around the idea of someone being distressed to the point of having to post about a few kids walking on a wall!
    OK, what if the kids were on the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

towel401 wrote: »
    i really don't see what the problem is

If they fall off the wall, the OP is liable.

Explain to the childrens parents that you'd prefer if they didn't walk on your wall, as there may be an 'unfortunate accident'

And whats your opinion of barbed wire?

I dont have an opinion on barbed wire, not a legally based one anyway, but I'm sure the guards could advise on that point also.
    OK, what if the kids were on the roof?

If the kids were on the roof, again, I would refer that to the guards. Very handy folks those guards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

I always thought that deterrents were ok but traps illegal. Regardless of that having one house in thirty with broken glass or barbed wire is going to look off and unsightly for the owner. Plus it doesn't stop the kids standing on the neighbours wall, which still means they're still going to be looking in at you.
    If you can put up with it for a while I'm sure the kids will grow out of it. Perhaps you could talk to your neighbours to see how they feel and do some research on Occupier's Liability, maybe even contact the council I'm sure loads of kids have fallen of walls that are their responsibility.

I can assure you it is entirely illegal. If you want to confirm this just call your local police station.
    I just rang and they said there is no legal policy in the state on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I dont have an opinion on barbed wire, not a legally based one anyway, but I'm sure the guards could advise on that point also.

If the kids were on the roof, again, I would refer that to the guards. Very handy folks those guards!

Those handy guards will inform you that its entirely a civil matter.......

Advertisement