Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide to Sea Fishing(shore)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

no problem glad to be of help. if anyone has any questions please just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mintt

hi popanddrop.
    nice one i do a lot of beach fishing , your doing a grand job here keep it up . might get more people out fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

to be honest i was hoping for a few more personal tips that might seem a bit more unorthodox, or nuts, for example,

do u ever add a bit of bread to the hook if ur getting no bites,
    what do u do to ward off bad luck,
    do u let a middler go free to catch a bigger one.

all the info here is 100% valuable but i'm looking for the highly dodgy personal stuff with no scientific basis....!

give me 10 dodgy tips or i will decry this thread to the night wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

to be honest i was hoping for a few more personal tips that might seem a bit more unorthodox, or nuts, for example,

do u ever add a bit of bread to the hook if ur getting no bites,
    what do u do to ward off bad luck,
    do u let a middler go free to catch a bigger one.

all the info here is 100% valuable but i'm looking for the highly dodgy personal stuff with no scientific basis....!

give me 10 dodgy tips or i will decry this thread to the night wind!

hehe... there are things i have done that whould make you go WTF!!!

if i'm not getting bites i drop hook size to either 4 or 6 and use a small piece of bait (usually mackerel or sandel) the size of a little fingernail.. usually pick up a small flattie/goby/5bearded rockling or something of the likes

i know a few lads that have certain shirts and caps they wear for good luck..

have often released a good fish for a bigger one.. rather annoying especially knowing i'll probably not catch anything for the rest of the night..

a few strange tips...
    Lugworm that is near to the point of being mush can sometimes out fish fresh lug

small pouting cut in half is a killer bait for conger

bacon rind can be used to catch fish

holding a fish out at arms length makes it look bigger in a photo :D

mix pilchard oil and vaseline and put a bit on your lures to give them a better scent

small jif lemom containers make great floats

Cd wallets make cheap rig cases

the tops off bic biro's make good sliding booms
    SweeneyBoom.jpg

tent waterproofing spray can also be used on fishing jackets ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

mix pilchard oil and vaseline and put a bit on your lures to give them a better scent

I've heard of people spraying a little WD40 as well :eek:

• Advertisement

mintt wrote: »
    hi popanddrop.
    nice one i do a lot of beach fishing , your doing a grand job here keep it up . might get more people out fishing.
    Thanks. Always nice to hear that people like my work.:D

Once again this is my last call for this weekend if anybody would like to do a bit of learning and join me on a session out to the balck head, I am taking a few other people out already so its definet. Cost is 15 euro per person for the day. I will be showing how to make rigs, proper bait presentation, casting, etc.

stevenmu wrote: »
    I've heard of people spraying a little WD40 as well :eek:

spraying WD40 on fish baits helps breaks down the oils faster, which release the scent quicker..
    putting WD40 on anything else wont work (to my knowledge any ways);)

good for reels also:D

what did u do with the turtle u caught Steve?

and what happened when u saw the weaver on the end of the line?

howmany of the different species do u eat or keep?

tx for the replies.

d.

edit: popanddrop how many of the species u catch do u eat?

I release about 90% of my catch, normally a nice bass would do the trick but a nice fresh pollock/cod is also very nice.

• Advertisement

what did u do with the turtle u caught Steve?

and what happened when u saw the weaver on the end of the line?

howmany of the different species do u eat or keep?

tx for the replies.

d.

edit: popanddrop how many of the species u catch do u eat?

turtle was released safely

when i saw weaver i though.. oh goodie another species for the year..

i'll keep the odd fish, but release possibly 95% of what i catch
    i'll give anything a go as long as its big enough for the plate (and not protected) love pollock wrasse and rockling :p

never tried wrasse or rockling, any good?

Popanddrop wrote: »
    never tried wrasse or rockling, any good?

plenty of meat on wrasse, grilled with a squeeze of lemon :D

rockling baked in tinfoil (same as you'ld do for ling) :D

i hooked a Giant Scallop recently, 6-700lbs. Went under the boat, smart fish, very smart fish.

really enjoyed this thread lads, hope to catch u later on sea angling ireland.

d.

maybe, soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Ha ha Pop, Your little tricks are the best post so far! I used WD40 for the first time last Sat and again last night and it worked a treat,Greatly improves shop bought dull mackerel. I never think to use a smaller piece of bait when Im drawing a blank for a spirit lifting little dab.

An 11 year old showed me how to catch wrasse on the pier in Dun Laoighre last Sat and he gave me an empty coke bottle to use as a float. Always more to learn!

I have a lucky hat but what you want to watch out for is unlucky people!

thanks for that

well took someone (jargha) for his fishing lesson the other day, the weather was against with bright blue skies, crystal clear water but we still pulled up a few fish, plenty was both thought and learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 benoit08

Just reading through thread here, great stuff.Very new to sea angling but enjoy it.Popand drop, I know you do the occasional class for people but presume in Cork,anybody know anything similar around Dublin...(preferably Northsideish)

Thanks..

sorry dont know of any in Dublin, why dont you start a thread asking for someone to teach you?

• Advertisement

Any body have any fishing news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 justoneman

Wow thats some thread. A+++++

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Popanddrop banned:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 justoneman

Since this is the summer and more people are fishing I think it should be at the top of the page so people can learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Anyone know why popanddrop got banned? This is still a great thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Ockham

Hello everyone. Just looking for a bit of advice on shock leader.Im attaching a 50lb shock leader to my 15lb main line. Ive used a few different knots but the same story.....CRACK.... and off goes my gear :mad:. Dont know am i using too much shock leader or not enough? Is it possibly the difference in the diameter of the shock leader and main line causing lots of rubbing off the eyes at the knot?? should i just spool up some 30lb line and be done with this shock leader business never want to be a champion caster or anything.Any advice appreciated guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Ockham wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Just looking for a bit of advice on shock leader.Im attaching a 50lb shock leader to my 15lb main line. Ive used a few different knots but the same story.....CRACK.... and off goes my gear :mad:. Dont know am i using too much shock leader or not enough? Is it possibly the difference in the diameter of the shock leader and main line causing lots of rubbing off the eyes at the knot?? should i just spool up some 30lb line and be done with this shock leader business never want to be a champion caster or anything.Any advice appreciated guys.

Try this knot for attaching the 50lb shock leader to your 15lb main line:
    http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/images/shocker_knot.gif

Also a drop of super glue over the knot gives it extra strength (not really necessary but will definitely make it more secure).

Cheers ill give that a go.Think a 50lb braid might be worth it?Gonna get a load of nuts of a suitable weight from woodies and go practice this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭KAZ0077

Wouldnt use braid for a shockleader as it has no stretch so puts a direct strain on the knot and line in a cast.
    Use 50lb mono or 60lb and go to this site, http://neilmackellow.sea-angler.org/ it'll show you a good safe shockleader knot.
    Your knot shouldnt be breaking every cast.
    I would have 7 turns of leader on my reel then enough to go up the length of the rod and back halfway down again.

Golden rule is 10lb of shockleader for every oz of lead..also, it could be your casting style..maybe its very erratic and snatchy and not smooth...this wouldnt be very knot friendly either.

Hope this helps?

• Advertisement

yeah my casting is anything but stylish.ill try the knot and practice.thanks

Advertisement