Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide to Sea Fishing(shore)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Agreed - keep it u popand drop.

I've been a freshwater angler all my life and have no idea about sea angling, this is all good to me.

And if coolwings wants to start a similar thread regarding pike fishing and fish movement in Blesso I'd also much appreciate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

thanks for that guys, I do understand that the fact about lighter lines and yes I agree theres no doubting that but this basicially i a newbie thread so I am trying to keep it simple for them as not to confuse things, I want people to caught fish and not complain about losing fish, in future I will add some extras in for the expereinced angler.
    Thats for the support. I will keep the thread going.

I am just wondering would anybody be interested in starting a coarse fishing or game fishing thread, I am a sea angler at heart and know nothing on any of these subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

popanddrop, stop posting and you will make a grown man cry.

still waiting for 20 dumb things an angler should know!

Steve, this thread is an ididots guide for people like me, don't be upsetting me!

(i just saw that i spelt idiots incorrectly but i guess i ought to leave it....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

+1 for a game fishing thread like this :)

• Advertisement

plaice-European-flatfish-two-on-aluminium-foil-front-and-back-ready-to-be-wrapped-as-parcel-and-baked-closeup-1-DHD.jpg
    Plaice
    Description:Plaice are characterised by their smooth, brown skin, red spots and bony ridge behind the eyes. They are a type of flatfish which spends its whole adult life on the bottom. They are renouned for their taste and are hugely sought after.
    Plaice, along with the other major demersal fish in the sea such as Cod is listed by the ICES as "outside safe biological limits." Moreover, they are growing less quickly now and are rarely older than six years, whereas they can reach forty.
    The Irish record plaice is 8.23 lbs. The Plaice habitat normally extends around mainly beachs and sand banks.

Tactics:
    Plaice can be caught from certain beaches in February and March, but these are skin and bone after spawning and it's best to wait until May before targeting them when they start to fatten up a little. The plumpest fish are taken from August to October. Ideal ground is coarse sand, shell gravel and mussel beds with some tide run over it. they also move in on to shallow surf beaches running along the edge of weed and mussel beds and hole up in gutters and around sand banks. Plaice are mainly daylight feeders and few fish are caught at night. They feed on seed mussel and other broken shellfish, worms, crabs and sandeels. Feeding times in relation to tide vary with each mark, but just as the new flood tide begins to run strongly is a good time, and again as it begins to ease, with the same periods through the outgoing ebb tide less reliable. The best baits are lugworm, king ragworm with some tail left to wriggle ,mussel, peeler crab. Try combinations of these as plaice are keen on variety. In gin clear water white snake ragworm are a real killer over coarse sand. The rig below is a personal favourite of mine and add yellow and red beads above the hooks and sometimes reflecter blades as these can intice a bite. Use 20LB main body line and about 6LB-12LB snoods.
    mustad-2-clip-up-rig.jpg

Other Info:
    If bites are gone, twitch the bait along the sand back to you very slowly.
    Bring a selection of baits.

+1 for a game fishing thread like this :)
    I think someone should should start one and someelse start a coarse fishing one.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Popanddrop, excellent thread (for a Corkman :pac:).
    I am a novice sea angler, found it very difficult to get decent books on Sea Angling in Ireland.

I for one will be following and saving every post on this subject.

Post on the dangers of rock fishing, especially things you should not risk for the sake of better vantage point, if you would please.

Again, congratulations Popanddrop, keep up the good work. wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭little buda

keep up the good work!! shapeing up really well and i looks like your starting to collect a few fans!

Well im sticking to my list of subjects quite nicely and one of those subjects todays one in fact is a little about mein fishing.
    Favourite Mark: The Black Head, Kinsale.
    Favourite Species: Bass
    Likes about fishing: The bite because you know your doing soething right.
    The possibillity of using as light as tackle as possible.
    When I loose a big fish.
    Standing out in the rain and being sheltered from the wind so that the rain falls straight and the sea is flat.
    Sunrise and Sunset.

Dislikes: Other people not having consideration for fish.
    People leaving rubbish behind.
    People basically butchering a fish when they caught it.
    People keeping to much fish then what they need.
    The wind.

Favourite International Species: Dorado

Best Caught(not size): Sightcasting for Dorado

Unusual thing seen when fishing: Caught to whiting on one hook.

Favourite Bait: Peeler Crab

Favourite Reel: Abu Garcia 6500C3

Favourite Rod: Daiwa Bass performance rod.

Favourite Lure: Storm Chugbug

• Advertisement

DubCul wrote: »
    Popanddrop, excellent thread (for a Corkman :pac:).
    I am a novice sea angler, found it very difficult to get decent books on Sea Angling in Ireland.

I for one will be following and saving every post on this subject.

Post on the dangers of rock fishing, especially things you should not risk for the sake of better vantage point, if you would please.

Again, congratulations Popanddrop, keep up the good work. wink.gif
    Thanks for that I have made my list for Monday-Wednesday and its
    20 things you did not know about fish/fishing.
    Flounder
    Dangers of rock fishing.

Hooks that have caused a cut or gash can get infected, always bring a first aid kit along.
    All female conger eels that have spawned, will die in a matter of days.
    Cod will go as far to eat paper cups and smaller cod.
    Coalfish and Small Pollock can be caught on small hooks with only beads above it and no bait.
    Mackerel can be caught all year round from deep water harbours.
    Bass can have flat heads from the front by truly chasing prey fish and then hitting a pier wall etc in murky conditions.
    Watch out for freak waves even if there is a calm sea.
    To calm a fish throw a towel over its head.
    Increasing casting range does not mean increasing fish.
    Small hooks allows you to catch both big fish and small fish.
    Fish can suffer from lock jaw, this is where fish will not feed due to a surge of fresh water being released into there habitat.
    Rays can infact jump out of the water.
    One of the best methods for fishing for bass is plugging at `night`.
    Dogfish roam in packs.
    In the right conditions Salmon can double their weight in just over two weeks.
    Red line; Red is one of the first colours to disappear from the spectrum of colour underwater.
    Conger Eels(the large ones, obviously males) can get stuck into a hole in a wreck and only a certain proportion of their body can come out to catch food.
    Dogfish eggs are enclosed in capsules known as Mermaid perses.
    If a crab looses it claw or leg it will grow them back.
    Lobsters swim backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

what size hooks would you use on that plaice rig Popanddrop?

Sorry about that aything from size 2-1/0, you can go little if you want though.

flounder2.jpg
    Description: While flounders have both eyes situated on one side of the head, they are not born this way. Their life involves metamorphosis. During metamorphosis, one eye migrates to the other side of the body so that both eyes are situated on the upward-facing side of its body. After metamorphosis, flounder lie on one side on the ocean floor; either the left or right side might face upward depending on the species. Flounder sizes typically vary from five to fifteen inches, though they sometimes grow as large as three feet in length. Their breadth is about one-half of their length. Flounder are ambush predators and their feeding ground is the soft mud of the sea bottom, near bridge piles, docks, and estuaries; they are sometimes found on bass grounds as well. They are usually a browny colour with some black spots and a white belly. They feed on small fish, crabs and worms, etc. Flounder camouflage amazing well in sand and mud and can be seen when wading through such waters. They are a big prey source for Herons. Often a flounder will make a rattling bite on the rod tip and you must let the bite develope, some they engulf a bait and you would see the bite as they just sit there on the bottom. This is why many anglers are now using circle hooks to that the flounder does get hooked to far down the throat. Flounders or Flukes as they are also known are a targeted fish in angling competitions.

Tactics: The exact same as Plaice. Also these fish have no probems with bigger hooks and their mouths are extendable so you can target bass at the same time.

Other Info:
    Flounder love colour so vary your bead presentation and use attractors.
    Flounder can also be caught by lure so bass fishing is a great way to target both species.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

just to add a bit to flounder.. as mentioned before they are predators and do take baits down into there mouth, and a lot of anglers cut the line and leave the hook in the mouth to corrode away, the video shows how it is possible to take out deep hooked flounder (this works for all other flatfish, and some round fish too)

all you need is a length of stainless steel wire ( i have used a bait needle), and bend in the pointy bit so you have a nice small 3mm-5mm hook.
    you'll see what i mean in the video ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b3Z0P9uOs4

thanks for that, was actually looking for a vid lik that to stick up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sai_saltydog

This works a treat Stevecrow74 made one up for me and it has resulted in a lot of happy flatties submerging back into the depths unharmed ;)

Never fish by yourself: fish in a group of at least three people and within sight of each other. If someone is washed in, one person can stay and help while the other alerts emergency services.
    Inform others of your plans: always let friends or family know where you are going and when you will be back.
    Wear light clothing: light clothing such as shorts and a spray jacket will let you swim easily if you are washed in. Jumpers may be heavy and difficult to take off.
    Wear appropriate footwear: cleats, sandals and sandshoes with non slip soles suit different surfaces. Use the appropriate shoes for the conditions. Fish wearing a life jacket.

Carry safety gear: wear a life jacket or buoyancy vest. Also bring something buoyant that can be easily thrown and held onto, to help you stay afloat. Carry ropes and torches.
    Never fish in exposed areas during rough or large seas: make sure you are aware of local weather, swell and tidal conditions before going fishing. Listen to weather forecasts or call the weather information line. Be aware that conditions may change dramatically in a short period of time.
    Observe first, fish later: spend some time (at least 30 minutes) watching your intended spot before fishing to get an idea of the conditions over a full swell/wave cycle. Wave conditions can get worse as the tide changes - you should know whether the tides are high or low and coming in or going out.
    Plan an escape route in case you are washed in: stay calm - If you are washed in, swim away from the rocks and look for a safe place to come ashore or stay afloat and wait for help to arrive.
    Stay alert. Don't ever turn your back on the sea: if the waves, weather or swell threaten your fishing spot then leave immediately.
    Ask for advice from locals who know the area: they can advise you of good, safe fishing locations.
    Never get in where you cant get out, eg dont climb down to a spot where you cant get back up.
    Bring a spare pair of clothing incase you do get wet, the cold can be a killer.(hypothermia)
    Be carefull that you do not get blocked off behind you by the sea.
    Watch for rip currents. These can be deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

Popanddrop wrote: »
    Hooks that have caused a cut or gash can get infected, always bring a first aid kit along.
    All female conger eels that have spawned, will die in a matter of days.
    Cod will go as far to eat paper cups and smaller cod.
    Coalfish and Small Pollock can be caught on small hooks with only beads above it and no bait.
    Mackerel can be caught all year round from deep water harbours.
    Bass can have flat heads from the front by truly chasing prey fish and then hitting a pier wall etc in murky conditions.
    Watch out for freak waves even if there is a calm sea.
    To calm a fish throw a towel over its head.
    Increasing casting range does not mean increasing fish.
    Small hooks allows you to catch both big fish and small fish.
    Fish can suffer from lock jaw, this is where fish will not feed due to a surge of fresh water being released into there habitat.
    Rays can infact jump out of the water.
    One of the best methods for fishing for bass is plugging at `night`.
    Dogfish roam in packs.
    In the right conditions Salmon can double their weight in just over two weeks.
    Red line; Red is one of the first colours to disappear from the spectrum of colour underwater.
    Conger Eels(the large ones, obviously males) can get stuck into a hole in a wreck and only a certain proportion of their body can come out to catch food.
    Dogfish eggs are enclosed in capsules known as Mermaid perses.
    If a crab looses it claw or leg it will grow them back.
    Lobsters swim backwards.

i'm loving it, this is what i want to read, even if its all false!

• Advertisement

Another suggestion on understanding some jargon - how about a piece on the tides. I have seen a few tides mentioned which I am not quite sure about - flooding tide, ebb tide? Maybe a piece on these different tides and how they differ depending on the phase of the moon - and of course how they affect the fishing!

jAH

i'm loving it, this is what i want to read, even if its all false!
    Well I can assure you that all of the info here is true and all thouroughly researched.

jArgHA wrote: »
    Another suggestion on understanding some jargon - how about a piece on the tides. I have seen a few tides mentioned which I am not quite sure about - flooding tide, ebb tide? Maybe a piece on these different tides and how they differ depending on the phase of the moon - and of course how they affect the fishing!

jAH
    Thanks for the suggestion and I will get around to a piece on that, keep those suggestions coming people because I want to know what ye want to know. + sorry for not writing yesterday, I was on a fishing trip for Saltwater catfish and Corvina because I am in Panama until the end of august. Just so people know the trip went great:D, shore fishing of coarse. When I returned yesterday the internet service was down and has only been restored in the last few mins :o

dabblowup.jpg
    Description:
    Dabs are one of the smallest of the flatfish species found in Irish water, they rarely grow to over a pound and live in fine sand or gritty bottoms.
    They are a sandy brown colour and the smaller ones can be transparent to light. Their eyes are situated on the top of their head. The bigger dabs are known for their eating qualities. They are normally present in the winter months but can be found in the summer in some places. Their diet includes worms, and pieces of fish.

Tactics:
    The best tactics for dabs is the a simply three hook flapper rig. Use small hooks and small baits, the hook size should be between the number 6 and number 2 size. Use a plain lead when fishing for dabs and vary lead size with current. The Dabs like a moving bait. The best baits are small pieces of lugworm, squid, mackerel and mackerel. You can add beads to your snoods to give extra attraction. The snoods should be about 10LB line and the main rig should be about 15LB-20LB.
    3hookflapper1.jpg

Other info:
    Dabs can sometimes be mistaken for young flounders , here is a link that can help you decide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_dab
    The best baits sometimes for Dabs are bits of slightly stale lugworms, squid or mackerel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

For more info on baits check out the linky :)

whiting.jpg
    Description: A slender fish with normally a sandy/brown back, the whiting is common along most of the coastline. It inhabits beaches, piers and rock marks and is normally caught in late October until March. Their diet consists mainly of smaller fish, worms and whatever they can find. These fish are not bothered by what they eat. A fish that has now increased in price in food markets these fish is good enough for eating. The Irish record is currently 4Lbs and 14.5oz, a good sized fish would normally be just over a pound. The whiting do have teeth so be carefull when unhooking them.

Tactics: The same as dab really but you can up the size of your hooks to about a 1/0. They are not fusy with bait but frozen black lug, squid or small pieces of mackerel serve best. Depending on the tide use either grip or plain leads. The rig should be the small as the one or dabs but keep the bottom hook small because I have found where there is whiting there is normally Dab. The time of the day dosent reall have a huge effect on whitinh but like for most species night time is the best.

Other Info:
    Found this video on youtube on filleting whiting: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=BIjdJnpEKrs

hi,
    would like some more suggestions off people if they have any.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭little buda

how about a bit on lures,spoons,swivels,plummets,floats etc...... what way they move..what they do? what they for? best way to use them??
    i'm still ropey about what i am ment to be doing:o

Great I will do that as my next piece.

• Advertisement

Popanddrop wrote: »
    Great I will do that as my next piece.

Don't forget to do a bit on the tides!

Advertisement