Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall People Flying !

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

axer wrote: »
    The emergency exit seats are not the only seats with extra leg room.

What could be illegal about it?

There is no point giving out unless you have viable alternative ideas as to how it should work. You never answered at what height should people be offered the seats with extra leg room in your opinion?

Any the very front seats by the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

craichoe wrote: »
    Any the very front seats by the front door.

... which isn't an exit :confused:

MOH wrote: »
    ... which isn't an exit :confused:

Course it is, but on non Budget Airlines its Premium Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

axer wrote: »
    The emergency exit seats are not the only seats with extra leg room.

What could be illegal about it?

There is no point giving out unless you have viable alternative ideas as to how it should work. You never answered at what height should people be offered the seats with extra leg room in your opinion?

OK. I give up :) this is so ridiculous its comical.

Its not discrimination, its completely right that I am charged for my height. GOD made me tall and I should pay for it. its morally and ethically correct and I am thankful that they in fact don't charge more. They should re-introduce the wheelchair charges. they were right and society was wrong, and in addition, charge for people who use bottled oxygen, after all that is very heavy indeed and why should they carry it for you! so what if you need it to live? why is that the national carriers problem, geeze if they allow this they might make it comfortable for their passengers. heaven forbid.

You are right the emergency exits are not the only seats with leg room. and the airline is right to charge for all of them as well ! in fact the current situation of paying for your seat and knowing what your seat position is also correct. you in fact cant pick any seat without paying for it, this is a relatively new charge. Not sure with your logic if it escaped your attention that all seats pre-booked incur a charge. the leg room seats incur additional charges. but you know that with your flying twice a month.

I am wrong to think that anything can change, and what was that idiot thinking that took them on regarding wheelchair charges thinking.. he spoiled it for the airline. the nerve of him. he should be forced to pay the 15 each way charge to get him on board. cheeky bugger. what was illegal about it ? it wasnt descrimination, that would be illegal(imagine that), they were not saying " you wre born disabled and have to pay for it" they are simply saying if you are born tall you have to pay for it.. in fact they were saying both until someone stood up ( no pun intended) and said this is wrong LOL

I should not complain, I should just accept the situation, I should not seek any advice regarding the situation ! Who the hell do I think I am ? why do I think I could legally change the situation ?

And for the question regarding height,, I think anyone over 4ft should be charged.. its only right form a national airline to introduce any charges they like ! and it would net them a fortune. and people would accept it. well the people under 4ft would and the irish always do :) the majority of irish people are doormats :) very little backbone and little stomach for a fight ! I am irish by the way :)

I am truly sorry for my opinions and have learn so much from your good self. somethings are not worth speaking up about and this is one, I have no idea how to sort it (revert to old system without charges) no idea whats so ever, its far to complicated for me. if duffy cercus can stop tall people getting on certain rides that are 2 tall or 2 small then its beyond our national carrier. just designate the leg room seats to the first 12-20 people who present themselves and are very tall ! :) unless as stated its a freak show flight it should work !

Thank you and please accept my humblest apologies ! You and I will continue to fly around the place, you taking 2 flights a month and my own schedual of flights, we wont say anything, it doesnt effect you and heaven forbid I would say anything.. the last time I did they decided to ask me to leave the flight. I did, but then my memory failed and I couldnt describe my luggage... fancy that. even if they had hand scanned all the luggage and located it, its possible I might have said "thats not my bag, its been labeled wrong" and as we all know a flight cant fly with the luggage of someone not on board..
    Strange thing, they then asked me to instantly re-board and organised a seat, that I had in fact requested in the first place..

May god grant my wish and allow Ryan-air control of Irelands national Airline.
    It would be cheaper and then he will no doubt instantly change the seat size to a smaller dimension ! and rip out anything else that is comfortable ! :)

We truly deserve what we are prepared to accept

On a serious note, I have decided after reading some of the crap on here to simply insist on upgrades regarding my clients. So I wont be paying for it and I will perpetuate the belief that the airlines can get away with anything ! next charge will be for babies buggies ! its right to charge, you know it ! ;)

Laughing my head off like a madman ! :D
    Buying a boat from adverts.ie !

please feel free to quote one sentence above and build a logical argument around it ;)

sunny2004 wrote: »
    OK. I give up :) this is so ridiculous its comical.

Its not discrimination, its completely right that I am charged for my height. GOD made me tall and I should pay for it. its morally and ethically correct and I am thankful that they in fact don't charge more. They should re-introduce the wheelchair charges. they were right and society was wrong, and in addition, charge for people who use bottled oxygen, after all that is very heavy indeed and why should they carry it for you! so what if you need it to live? why is that the national carriers problem, geeze if they allow this they might make it comfortable for their passengers. heaven forbid.

You are right the emergency exits are not the only seats with leg room. and the airline is right to charge for all of them as well ! in fact the current situation of paying for your seat and knowing what your seat position is also correct. you in fact cant pick any seat without paying for it, this is a relatively new charge. Not sure with your logic if it escaped your attention that all seats pre-booked incur a charge. the leg room seats incur additional charges. but you know that with your flying twice a month.

I am wrong to think that anything can change, and what was that idiot thinking that took them on regarding wheelchair charges thinking.. he spoiled it for the airline. the nerve of him. he should be forced to pay the 15 each way charge to get him on board. cheeky bugger. what was illegal about it ? it wasnt descrimination, that would be illegal(imagine that), they were not saying " you wre born disabled and have to pay for it" they are simply saying if you are born tall you have to pay for it.. in fact they were saying both until someone stood up ( no pun intended) and said this is wrong LOL

I should not complain, I should just accept the situation, I should not seek any advice regarding the situation ! Who the hell do I think I am ? why do I think I could legally change the situation ?

And for the question regarding height,, I think anyone over 4ft should be charged.. its only right form a national airline to introduce any charges they like ! and it would net them a fortune. and people would accept it. well the people under 4ft would and the irish always do :) the majority of irish people are doormats :) very little backbone and little stomach for a fight ! I am irish by the way :)

I am truly sorry for my opinions and have learn so much from your good self. somethings are not worth speaking up about and this is one, I have no idea how to sort it (revert to old system without charges) no idea whats so ever, its far to complicated for me. if duffy cercus can stop tall people getting on certain rides that are 2 tall or 2 small then its beyond our national carrier. just designate the leg room seats to the first 12-20 people who present themselves and are very tall ! :) unless as stated its a freak show flight it should work !

Thank you and please accept my humblest apologies ! You and I will continue to fly around the place, you taking 2 flights a month and my own schedual of flights, we wont say anything, it doesnt effect you and heaven forbid I would say anything.. the last time I did they decided to ask me to leave the flight. I did, but then my memory failed and I couldnt describe my luggage... fancy that. even if they had hand scanned all the luggage and located it, its possible I might have said "thats not my bag, its been labeled wrong" and as we all know a flight cant fly with the luggage of someone not on board..
    Strange thing, they then asked me to instantly re-board and organised a seat, that I had in fact requested in the first place..

May god grant my wish and allow Ryan-air control of Irelands national Airline.
    It would be cheaper and then he will no doubt instantly change the seat size to a smaller dimension ! and rip out anything else that is comfortable ! :)

We truly deserve what we are prepared to accept

On a serious note, I have decided after reading some of the crap on here to simply insist on upgrades regarding my clients. So I wont be paying for it and I will perpetuate the belief that the airlines can get away with anything ! next charge will be for babies buggies ! its right to charge, you know it ! ;)

Laughing my head off like a madman ! :D
    Buying a boat from adverts.ie !

please feel free to quote one sentence above and build a logical argument around it ;)

You'll have the exact same problem on the Train, Bus, Tram, Taxi, Ferry and Tuc Tucs. So if you want to go on a crusade you can, but TS to be honest.

People that are claustrophoic could have the same argument, or make up any sort of crazy sh*t that just isn't 'their fault'

Living in a Land of tall ppl (The Netherlands) , tbh your argument holds no weight.

Whats next .. Trains specially kitted out for the left handed ...

You can always chance your arm, but i don't really see it as a consumer issue when thats just the way it is.

Dutch airlines have had the problem before, and have indeed refused to let people fly that have caused an issue as they cannot guarantee adequate facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Seriously, if you want to fight a campaign you need to work out the answers to the questions I posed above. They are genuine questions. You have no chance otherwise.

Being 6' 6" is not deemed to be a disability by law from what I know thus you cannot compare your situation to that of a blind person nor a person in need of a wheelchair. It sucks but that's the way it is.

Who mentioned disabilities ? the issue is discrimination not disabilities. the wheelchair individual was discriminated against...

And I have in fact answered all of your questions. Everyone of them. some of them more than once :)

Which leads me to believe that there is in fact only one of us reading the others posts..

Honestly I am done discussing this ! :) truly :D

craichoe wrote: »
    You'll have the exact same problem on the Train, Bus, Tram, Taxi, Ferry and Tuc Tucs. So if you want to go on a crusade you can, but TS to be honest.

People that are claustrophoic could have the same argument, or make up any sort of crazy sh*t that just isn't 'their fault'

Living in a Land of tall ppl (The Netherlands) , tbh your argument holds no weight.

You can always chance your arm, but i don't really see it as a consumer issue when thats just the way it is.

Dutch airlines have had the problem before, and have indeed refused to let people fly that have caused an issue as they cannot guarantee adequate facilities.

Could you explain some of this..
    From the top..
    Trains bus trams .. TS.. I assume TS is an insult.. etc....etc...
    What is the point here.. we are in fact discussing a service (planes) that have the faculty to accommodate tall people but in fact charge for it. that in my eyes is discrimination. The seats on planes are not put in for tall people that is in fact a bi-product of safety :) hello..

People that are claustrophobic could have the same argument, or make up any sort of crazy sh*t that just isn't 'their fault' ??

NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS .. truly..

Again no idea what this has to do with anything..

are left handed people uncomfortable or in higher danger of illness on trains ? (DVT) lost here again. please explain the wisdom.

Consumer = me. I have an issue.. its a consumer issue.. Do you think I am the only person who has a problem with this ?

Dutch airlines have had the problem before, and have indeed refused to let people fly that have caused an issue as they cannot guarantee adequate facilities

ok.......... I have traveled with dutch airlines.. I am completely lost here AGAIN. are you saying that they don't fly tall people? or people who complain ? I think you might find that its Illegal to refuse travel based on your height or the fact that you complain.. I am working on the principle that the Netherlands (heading there in Oct) is part of the European union. yep, its part of EU ... hmummmm so I am dying to hear this..

Please assume I am stupid, as I need a detailed explaination regarding all of your points..

Who mentioned disabilities ? the issue is discrimination not disabilities. the wheelchair individual was discriminated against...
    Next we will be charging for wheelchairs.... O, we did do that didn't we LOL until someone stood up (figuratively) and complained !
    If I was blind my dog would be allowed ! :)
    I refer back to the times when wheelchair charges were introduced..
    I think you did - or did you not read your own posts? :)

On what grounds are you being discriminated against?
    Here is a list to choose from:
    • Gender - well it can't be gender unless you want to argue that men are on average taller thus men are more discriminated than women since you believe taller people are discriminated against.
    • Marital status - are married men taller?
    • Family status - are those with a family taller?
    • Religion - are catholics taller than, say, protestants?
    • Sexual orientation - are homosexuals taller than straight people?
    • Age - could age be a factor?
    • Disability - cant be this since I don't think being 6' 6" is a recognised disability.
    • Race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins) or - are Irish people discriminated against over the smaller Japanese?
    • Membership of the Traveler community. - Are travelers taller than settled folk?
    The above list was taken from here:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/equality-in-work/equality_authority/
    Maybe you have a better list? :)

If you believe you have a case then contact:
    Equality Tribunal

3 Clonmel Street
    County:
    Dublin 2
    IRELAND
    Tel: +353 (0)1 4774100

Locall: 1890 344424

Fax: +353 (0)1 4774141

Homepage:
    http://www.equalitytribunal.ie/
    Email:
    info@equalitytribunal.ie
    The Equality Authority is an independent state body in Ireland set up to ensure that all citizens in the country are treated equally and to ensure that discrimination on certain grounds does not occur.

There are two distinct pieces of legislation in place in Ireland which set out important rights for citizens and specifically outlaw discrimination when it occurs. The Employment Equality Act 1998 and the Equal Status Act 2000 as amended by the Equality Act 2004 (pdf) outlaw discrimination in employment, vocational training, advertising, collective agreements, the provision of goods and services and other opportunities to which the public generally have access. Specifically, service providers, agencies, and anyone providing opportunities to which the public have access, cannot discriminate against citizens on nine distinct grounds. (see above)
    And I have in fact answered all of your questions. Everyone of them. some of them more than once
    Well you said people over 4ft should be charged - so why are you on here complaining then? :)
    Which leads me to believe that there is in fact only one of us reading the others posts..
    Exactly, and it doesn't seem to be you. :)
    Honestly I am done discussing this ! truly
    You will not get very far with your quest if you give up this easily! :)

Sorry, I was using the English definition of the word ! Sorry if I threw you with that.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrimination
    Explaining all of this to you is boring the hell out of me ! truly.
    Its not a conversation, its not an educated argument, its simply a waste of both of our times. I wish to do you a personal favour, see last point below.

I think my complain it possibly covered under natural justice.

I say it again. you were not reading my posts. You didn't see that I answered all your questions. I did in fact answer them all...

I am "again" done with this matter. You are right and I conceed everything to you.. hope that helps..

I have already posted that I have come up with a solution to my problem that is free to me !
    So, in the grand "Irish" tradition... I AM ALRIGHT JACK ! Feel free to enjoy your economy seat, or upgrade or paying for a designated seat.. I am looking after myself ;)

I told you earlier on about people who need to take the opposite position at infinitium... its all over Boards. you are not one of those.(obviously). People post really worrying things and really personal things.. and other people post replies with "ITS YOUR FAULT" (very helpful) there are are also people who feel the need to post the LAST WORD.. you are also not one of those.. neither am I as I am about to prove.

Big thank you. its been very education and extremely helpful to know you think its OK for the charge.. I just have not met anyone in the "real" world who does. (non INTERNET)

If I missed anything please don't let me know and put it down to my stupidity.

But out of mutual respect I conceed and invite you to reply to this knowing I wont reply to you...

• Advertisement

Trains bus trams .. TS.. I assume TS is an insult.. etc....etc...
    What is the point here.. we are in fact discussing a service (planes) that have the faculty to accommodate tall people but in fact charge for it. that in my eyes is discrimination. The seats on planes are not put in for tall people that is in fact a bi-product of safety hello..

The seats on planes are emergency exit aisles, they are not 'designed' for the taller individual. Airlines charge for seat bookings, i sit in the Emergency aisle and front seats when i can as i have a leg that gets quite sore from the result of an accident, however if its not possible to get that then i take another seat.

If i wasnt extra leg room on the Thalys or ICE train i book first class, its the same thing.

People that are claustrophobic could have the same argument, or make up any sort of crazy sh*t that just isn't 'their fault' ??

NO IDEA WHAT THIS MEANS .. truly..

Its the same as what your say, you say you "can't fit into a seat" well a claustraphobic simply couldn't sit in an enclosed space.

Again no idea what this has to do with anything..

Theres quite a high proportion of people living here that are taller than your average irish person. One guy working with me is 6'7 and he has the same problem. He doesn't complain.

are left handed people uncomfortable or in higher danger of illness on trains ? (DVT) lost here again. please explain the wisdom.

Danger .. or Illness .. give me a break, your a bit cramped in a seat.
    Consumer = me. I have an issue.. its a consumer issue.. Do you think I am the only person who has a problem with this ?

Its not a consumer issue as its not about a service specifically you have taken, your argument is about everyone.
    Dutch airlines have had the problem before, and have indeed refused to let people fly that have caused an issue as they cannot guarantee adequate facilities

ok.......... I have traveled with dutch airlines.. I am completely lost here AGAIN. are you saying that they don't fly tall people? or people who complain ? I think you might find that its Illegal to refuse travel based on your height or the fact that you complain.. I am working on the principle that the Netherlands (heading there in Oct) is part of the European union. yep, its part of EU ... hmummmm so I am dying to hear this..

KLM have thrown people off the plane before and refused to let them fly because they keep banging on about some crazy request.
    Please assume I am stupid, as I need a detailed explaination regarding all of your points..

I wouldn't assume anything
    I have already posted that I have come up with a solution to my problem that is free to me !
    So, in the grand "Irish" tradition... I AM ALRIGHT JACK ! Feel free to enjoy your economy seat, or upgrade or paying for a designated seat.. I am looking after myself

I told you earlier on about people who need to take the opposite position at infinitium... its all over Boards. you are not one of those.(obviously). People post really worrying things and really personal things.. and other people post replies with "ITS YOUR FAULT" (very helpful) there are are also people who feel the need to post the LAST WORD.. you are also not one of those.. neither am I as I am about to prove.

Well you came on here wanting everyone to agree with you, maybe you feel this way because you didnt get satisfaction in real life.. i don't know.

Bottom line is, everyone is in the same boat, just because i'm uncomfortable doesn't meant i cause hassle, i just want to get from A - B on time with the least amount of hassle. With the amount of stress your causing yourself you will give yourself an ulcer. I guess well just let you off and you can feel like your being discriminated against.

I think next time i see a tall person whining about wanting a certain seat, i'll point out that he might have difficulty getting out the emergency exit, since it hasn't been designed to his height, hence compromising safety and the ability of other passengers to get out of the plane in the event of an emergency. Then he can write a strongly worded letter to Boeing and Airbus .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Just a quick question on reserving the emergency exit seats.
    Can the airlines refuse to give them to certain people? To give extreme examples, they might want a strapping, tall and strong rugby player there who could operate the door in an emergency rather then a small and weak 50kg women.

Does this go on? Have women or weaker people demanded to get such a seat and been refused on safety grounds?

micmclo wrote: »
    Does this go on? Have women or weaker people demanded to get such a seat and been refused on safety grounds?
    If a person is deemed to not be able to handle the emergency exit door then they will be asked to move to another seat or swap with someone. This is a safety issue. I can't remember the weight of the door.

Can the airlines refuse to give them to certain people? To give extreme examples, they might want a strapping, tall and strong rugby player there who could operate the door in an emergency rather then a small and weak 50kg women.

Yup, have seen them asking a guy with a plaster cast on his leg to move due to safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

A friend of a friends sister-in-law mothers brother.. OK its me :)

Why do tall people, I mean really tall people 6ft 6in have to pay for leg room on flights ? its genetic ! I cant help it ! :)

Pay for leg room? Dont be giving Michael O Leary any ideas will ya LOL

I'm over 6' 5 so I know what its like to have someone in front put their seat waaaay back and I'm snookered for the whole flight until just before landing when the seat must be put in the upright position.

I, where possible, will request a bulkhead seat or one near an emergency exit where there is a good bit of extra legroom. Aer Lingus planes seem to be better than Ryanair planes as far as legroom goes, must be O Leary squeezing more seats into his planes thus they are more tightly packed!

Big Tone wrote: »
    Pay for leg room? Dont be giving Michael O Leary any ideas will ya LOL

I'm over 6' 5 so I know what its like to have someone in front put their seat waaaay back and I'm snookered for the whole flight until just before landing when the seat must be put in the upright position.

I, where possible, will request a bulkhead seat or one near an emergency exit where there is a good bit of extra legroom. Aer Lingus planes seem to be better than Ryanair planes as far as legroom goes, must be O Leary squeezing more seats into his planes thus they are more tightly packed!
    Yes, I believe aerlingus have 32" seats whereas Ryanair have 30" seats. The good thing about ryanair seats is that you cannot put the seats back at all. There is nothing worse when a person puts their seat right back fast without even looking first to see if someone is there. I wish aerlingus would follow ryanair's way regarding not allowing seats to be adjusted.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

There is a note on the seats at the emergency exits on ryanair flights to the effect that luggage must not be stowed there, and the seats must not be occupied by children or the infirm. And it notes that this is a legal requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Yilmaz

Hey sunny. I'm around that height myself but last time the flight attendent was kind enough to direct me to the emergency exit seats. Same with another guy on the flight who was at least 6'8''. Sounds like the best plan unless a person can afford to upgrade.

Advertisement