Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol Refusal by High Court Judge ?

Options
  • 04-07-2008 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

Piece on 9 o'clock news. Pistol licence refused by high court judge in Donegal.

Yet more views of Dunblane by RTE :mad:

1st refusal by high court judge ? Has the tide turned ?

Judge reckons Supers have to stop build up of firearms in communities ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

yes just seen it now roll on 31-7-2008 to be told you can have this BUT not that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

thehair wrote: »
    yes just seen it now roll on 31-7-2008 to be told you can have this BUT not that

Oh yes, I feel the truth is out there, and will be unveiled soon :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Well, you know where the BCC is and you know how to fill in a form, right?
    It's not the first time that a court case to get a firearms licence hasn't gone in favour of the shooter, but it's rare enough.
    I'll wait to see the transcripts I think. The devil's in the details with these things.

Sparks wrote: »

It's not the first time that a court case to get a firearms licence hasn't gone in favour of the shooter, but it's rare enough.
    I'll wait to see the transcripts I think. The devil's in the details with these things.

BCC, I'm doing it very shortly, enough is enough :mad:

Re refusal, first time it was on 9 o'clock news with a damning report on the alarming number of licences issued and picture footage of Dunblane. Spoon feeding the masses by a biased media :mad:

Re transscripts, I heard the report. did you ? Now please don't insult my comprehension abilities :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I filled out the form for the primetime scaremonger special and never heard a word back. :mad:

• Advertisement

Well, you know where the BCC is and you know how to fill in a form, right? fair ok

It's not the first time that a court case to get a firearms licence hasn't gone in favour of the shooter, but it's rare enough. what about court
    case it is the person not the firearm that is linced

+1

bent over here it comes this is no joke what was the F-C-P about:confused:

thehair wrote: »
    bent over here it comes this is no joke what was the F-C-P about:confused:

Everything in la la land is fine :rolleyes:

Everything in la la land is fine :rolleyes:
    ia ia land is right BLA BLA LAND i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

We don't know the ins and outs of the case, there appeared to be emphasis on the issue of demonstrating good reason to own a "high power pistol", and from my hearing of it the Judge backed the Superintendent, with regards to refusing to grant a licence for a "high power pistol" and added in his bit about the proliferation of legally held hand guns in the community since 2004.

Now as I see it this guy has two choices

1, Accept the ruling
    2, Appeal to a higher court (if possible)

Judges have opinions too and some of these cases are going to be lost. The devil is in the detail

• Advertisement

man shot in dublin =10sec rte news at 9 that is great:rolleyes:
    9mm in donegal=2mins rte news at 9 this is better and more air time

Granted there may be stuff not mentioned, but that's it, there was no reason stated, except that the judge backed the super and that in the judges opinion there are too many pistols and firearms in the community. It seemed to me that the person was refusesd on public safety grounds. No mention of good reason, security, character etc.

Then RTE show footage of Dunblane. Maybe the Prime Time show was a hijacking of Mr. Cloonan after all. If it was I now apologise to him.

Spoon feeding the masses by the national broadcaster, that there are loads of pistols in their communities and that people, and subliminly, children, by the reference to Dunblane, are in grave danger.

Now whose orders are RTE following ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I thought that the refusal was not upheld?

Traumadoc wrote: »
    I thought that the refusal was not upheld?

One of us is wrong :o

If it's me I'll have some humble pie to eat:o

I could be wrong too. If I am not it is deliberate spinning of the report.

Is this the same case?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055323255

I could be wrong too. If I am not it is deliberate spinning of the report.

Is this the same case?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055323255

don't think so :confused:

don't think so :confused:
    lets wait for anybody who might know like suffening j box:rolleyes:

........Pistols in this context are used by law abiding, garda vetteded and trained sportsmen (men not being gender biased )who must follow stringent range procedures

Now you going to confuse 'em :pac:

G17 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/9news/[/quot

good man that the one:cool: see down more man shot in dublin got less
    time on rte:eek: thank you G 17:D

Seems it was refused.

• Advertisement

Seems it was refused.

Phew !

Do you want pie in one big slice or a few small ones, sugar ? :D

Seems it was refused.

Just listened to it again, RTE didn't bring up the Dunblane tragedy the Judge did. The judge also expressed the opinion with regards increase in licensed fire arms and again a mention was made with regards to public safety by the judge. Lets see what happens in relation to this case going forward.

Just listened to it again, RTE didn't bring up the Dunblane tragedy the Judge did. The judge also expressed the opinion with regards increase in licensed fire arms and again a mention was made with regards to public safety by the judge. Lets see what happens in relation to this case going forward.

how many people in ireland were looking at the news tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

http://www.rte.ie/news/9news/

The Individual clip is not linked correctly. Look at the whole show and scroll to 7:29.

Phew !

Do you want pie in one big slice or a few small ones, sugar ? :D

Do you mind if I crawl back under my rock to eat it?:o

G17 wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/9news/

The Individual clip is not linked correctly. Look at the whole show and scroll to 7:29.
    i was watching it then i said bend over here it comes
    papers might have a field day on this+the anti
    we wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'll wait for the transcripts as well.But from the report it seems like the good judge isnt too aufe either with our firearms laws,or is anti gun.Maybe he should think that we should be more afraid of the illegal guns out there than the legal ones.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I wouldn't have those figures at hand,:D
    I do understand your frustration and get your point. However, here is a classic example of personal opinion being expressed by senior members of the juistice system and it being picked up on by the media.

I want to see is the difference between this case and the last successful case so as to compare. Because only a couple of days ago a Letterkenny man won a case regarding restrictions on a pistol that was granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

+1

I don't think I can pick any holes in RTÉ's report, and I'd be the first to stink a letter off to someone (well, second after Sparks :D), it seems they reported what the judge said.

For the love of all that is holey (geddit:D?) will they just sort out the law once and for all so we know where we stand and so I don't have to have heart failure every time I read a paper or listen to Anne Doyle (rrraaarrr!!:D); will I bother to keep training, will I cancel my order for this or that accessory? I sometimes think I'll sell the whole bloomin' lot and take up.......nah.;)

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I'll wait for the transcripts as well.But from the report it seems like the good judge isnt too aufe either with our firearms laws,or is anti gun.Maybe he should think that we should be more afraid of the illegal guns out there than the legal ones.

+1 but it is bad news for sports target shooters steve

Advertisement