Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervans not wanted in North Kerry

Options
  • 04-07-2008 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

A very hot debate took place over the last few days on local & national radio about camper vans taking up spaces overnight in car parks at beaches in north Kerry, Ballybunion, Banna and Ballyheigue. North Kerry county council have passed a by law banning camper vans from all blue flag beaches. It is time all camper van owners wrote to Kerry County Council expressing their concerns on this matter. These people in Kerry County Council have not thought of the revenue that we camper van owners bring to an area.

Send an email expressing your thoughts on this very important issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Hi sunchaser,never heard any of that ,what stations? do you have a link to send your email to?ta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

sunchaser wrote: »
    A very hot debate took place over the last few days on local & national radio about camper vans taking up spaces overnight in car parks at beaches in north Kerry, Ballybunion, Banna and Ballyheigue. North Kerry county council have passed a by law banning camper vans from all blue flag beaches. It is time all camper van owners wrote to Kerry County Council expressing their concerns on this matter. These people in Kerry County Council have not thought of the revenue that we camper van owners bring to an area.

Send an email expressing your thoughts on this very important issue.

Is there not bylaws prohibiting overnight parking in most of those areas anyway? You don't bring anymore revenue than anyone else going to those areas. Less probably as you bring your own accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

I beg to differ with you. It was only recently that a by law was passed at a Kerry County Council meeting proposed by councillor Robert Beasley of Ballybunion, prohibiting camper vans from parking overnight at their Blue Flag Beaches. It was stated that some users of camper vans were observed urinating outside their camper and others were observed emptying their chemical toilet in a hole dug in the beach. Perhaps we should be lobbying Kerry County Council to provide an Aires or two in Kerry for camping cars, similar to the one provided by Limerick County Council at Askeaton.
    On the question of bringing any more revenue to an area, we visit, perhaps you are one of these motorcaravanners who stock up in your home town before leaving for a weekend or extended travel with provisions to last the trip. I for one tend to shop in the are I visit, Caravan Park obtains revenue as I generally stay in one, the local butcher and supermarket as well as a filling station benefit from my visit.
    Kerry County Council state that we take up too much room in a car park, deterring cars from entering, I have observed some 10 campers at Kilmore Quay parked lengthways so that they had a nice view of the sea, and they were taking up perhaps 15 parking bays. Wexford County Council solved the problem after some complaints by erecting a height barrier to the car park. Perhaps other counties will follow Kerry’s example.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

It was stated that some users of camper vans were observed urinating outside their camper and others were observed emptying their chemical toilet in a hole dug in the beach.

I'd like to see public floggings re-introduced for those kind of "campers"

I beg to differ with you. It was only recently that a by law was passed at a Kerry County Council meeting proposed by councillor Robert Beasley of Ballybunion, prohibiting camper vans from parking overnight at their Blue Flag Beaches. It was stated that some users of camper vans were observed urinating outside their camper and others were observed emptying their chemical toilet in a hole dug in the beach. Perhaps we should be lobbying Kerry County Council to provide an Aires or two in Kerry for camping cars, similar to the one provided by Limerick County Council at Askeaton.
    On the question of bringing any more revenue to an area, we visit, perhaps you are one of these motorcaravanners who stock up in your home town before leaving for a weekend or extended travel with provisions to last the trip. I for one tend to shop in the are I visit, Caravan Park obtains revenue as I generally stay in one, the local butcher and supermarket as well as a filling station benefit from my visit.
    Kerry County Council state that we take up too much room in a car park, deterring cars from entering, I have observed some 10 campers at Kilmore Quay parked lengthways so that they had a nice view of the sea, and they were taking up perhaps 15 parking bays. Wexford County Council solved the problem after some complaints by erecting a height barrier to the car park. Perhaps other counties will follow Kerry’s example.

You didn't mention that you use caravan parks. I wrongly thought you were parking at the beach. My mistake.
    How I stockmt MH for the weekends is my business. How my previous post would give you any indication that I "stock it up" is beyond me?
    If you stay in caravan parks why are you so worried about people parking at the beaches?
    I was commenting not on you personaly but the people in campervans like me and you. Some of us go to sites some go wild camping. They are not bringing any more revenue than anybody else (petrol, food shopping, going out for meals drinks etc. aside). People who bring their cars and stay the weekend spend the same.
    As for aires, I would rather stay by the beach if I had to, or spend the huge sum (sarcasm) of around €30 to stay at a site rather than a glorified car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

The way I read the first was post was that the council were banning vans from parking full stop in these carparks or just banning overnight?

aerosol wrote: »
    The way I read the first was post was that the council were banning vans from parking full stop in these carparks or just banning overnight?

If that's the case then that is a bit much. If they introduce height barriers then they effectively will stop MH owners from any type of parking which is unfair.
    Sunchaser mentioned seeing campers parked lengthways in spaces to get a view of the sea. I would understand how county councils and the general public would object to that. The same thing happens at the parking spaces at Mullaghmore harbour in Sligo.
    It was stated that some users of camper vans were observed urinating outside their camper and others were observed emptying their chemical toilet in a hole dug in the beach.

However that kind of carry on does no good for anybody who has a MH and like anything it's a minority who will ruin things for everybody. As Peasent said, public floggings are the order of the day!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 wohnmobile

It would appear that Kerry County Council don’t want motorhomes parking at their Blue Flag Beaches by day and definitely not by night. As stated they have passed a by law to that effect. It is common practice of some motorhome users to arrive at a car park on a Friday evening and park up for the weekend. There are plenty of threads advising members where they can wild camp. A few years ago I went to Kilmore Quay and observed motorhomes parked across a number of parking bays by the sea and obscuring the view of the sea to other users of the car park. This is very inconsiderate. What Wexford County Council did was erect a height barrier at the car park. We have been complaining for a long time now about height barriers, we are as much culprits as others. You asked the question and I quote “If you stay in caravan parks why are you so worried about people parking at the beaches? “ they are giving motor caravanning a bad name, and over the last few days it has been stated publicly by public representatives on the National airways and on Kerry Radio. We are not wanted in North Kerry, where next. We should be lobbying County Councils to provide a number of parking bays at public car parks specially for motorhomes. If there were say 5 bays it would help and should a greater number of motorhomes park in the car park in car spaces they should be clamped. It is a common practice for some motorhomes users visiting France & Germany to use Aires de Services for a nightly stopover. Personally I have only use aires to dispose of waste water and toilet holding tank when travelling. As you are aware some motorhome users stock up at home when going wild camping and are no asset to the area they are visiting. I assume we all want the best for our fraternity ,I would like to think that all motorhome users would support shops when in an area they are visiting. It creates goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's a small article in today's Irish Times
    ONE OF the country’s leading motor-home organisations has urged county and town councils to provide parking spaces in their public car parks for daytime visits.

Councillors and officials in Kerry last week claimed there was a growing problem with campers parking where they liked and in some cases, leaving waste behind.

There has been a strong reaction to the claims from camper- van or motor-home users, who say their vehicles are fully fitted with toilet facilities.

In a statement, the Munster Motor-home Club said while its members had all toilet facilities on board, not all public beaches in Kerry had toilet facilities.

The council’s environmental awareness officer Micheál Ó Coileáin has hit out at “the notion that you can come with a camper- van to Kerry and park up wherever you like”. He said this was no longer acceptable.

He said local communities were lobbying the council to tackle the problem of camper-vans parking in car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

They dont have much time for you in the Kingdom if your not paying full whack.When our kids were small we went on holiday there and had problems getting tables in restaurants and B&B because they would be half price.It never happened any other place.We go abroad since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

So, if I understand correctly, Kerry CoCo people don't want visitors, is that right ? Or is it just campervan people who mostly have onboard waste facilities, bins, etc . . . and so are *far less likely* to leave anything behind ?

I'm afraid their logic eludes me.

z

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

It the pay full whack routine and its rife in kerry

My forefathers came from Kerry so we were obliged to go there every summer
    the i lived aboroad for some years to escape the lack of work in irealnd
    i returned and several times went to kerry for the summer holidays

Then I started going back to countries I know and lived in like Spain

i fior one am thinking of buying a camper hiome in spain and keeping it there

I can do three holidays in Spain for the price of one in Kerry and they want to charge Top dollar for crap

All tourists should boycott getting their faces ripped and bring the camper vans to other counties which are more hospitable to camper vans

I hate these carpet bans

I bet you the public that are complaining are camp site owners wanting more money and B&B joints wanting more money

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This is another classic case of an Irish County Council using a sledge hmmer to crack an egg. The Kerry CC see all campers as "thrifty" second rate holiday makers because they are not supporting the local hotel, restaurant and B&B industry.

No doubt "Big Brother" will be hovering over North Kerry on its regular "illegal car scrap yard surveillance mission" will spot that VW Type 2 or Hymer unlawfully parked at Ballybunion, Banna beach or some other obscure coastal area and subsequently report them to the authorities.

We had the same pathetic bi laws enforced in Co Clare when they banned dogs from Lahinch beach, I don't like standing on dog sh*t but at the same time it wouldn't take much for Clare CC to cordon off a strip along the beach specifically for dog walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Hi,
    I don't believe Kerry CC would pass such laws unless campers were causing a problem to someone.Having said that I think the approach by CC to many things is bizarre,I have not travelled in Ireland for many years due to the high cost,secondly I use my camper as a base and spend very little time in it while on holidays,there is so much to see and do that sitting in a van and looking out at the sea or such like does not appeal to me, nor does joining a gang lined up along some beach, I sometimes wild camp on my own or with one or two others making sure i'm not a bother to anyone or in some cases asking permission,but mostly leaving my van safely in a site and exploring my surroundings.The people who park in the manner decribed (mob handed in a public place) are not going to listen to any advice given in this forum.However if I was thinking of going to kerry and I'm not, This would deter me.
    Happy Camping.............boyoh :D:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Just vote with your feet/wheels!

Kerry has been believing its own marketing for far too long, there is some lovely scenery but it is ruined by the gombeen behaviour of the local "hospitality" industry treating every visitor as a cash cow to be milked and sold for burgers.

Give it a while and the local lepracauns will be out begging for grants to replace the revenue from the visitors they have driven away. or maybe that is the "cute hoors" backup plan - drive away the tourists, beg with flat cap in hand for grant aid and then you get the cash without having to get up and cook the gristley fry and stale toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

I missed a couple of weeks editions of the Southern Star, so I'm not quite sure on the discussion/council being referred to, but there's a long letter in this week, from MH'er getting the message across that we are clean and look after our vans/surroundings, following some comments made a town council meeting(?)

Just wondering whether they are trying to follow suit with Kerry down here??? and can anyone enlighten me on the discussion being referred to in the letter?

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 18 atb

i am sick and tired of traveling anywhere in ireland at this stage everywhere u go there are barriers up facilitys much better such as france but hase any one noticed the cost of taking your dogs by irish ferries now i have 2 and it costs me 230 euros returne just for them before i start 70euro each way big dog 45euro each way small dog it is a rip off
    what do u think?? atb:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

atb wrote: »
    hase any one noticed the cost of taking your dogs by irish ferries

what do u think?? atb:mad:

seenashow you posted that question in two other threads as well, I'd mutch rather this one stay on topic :D

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Forgot about this thread.
    Coming back from France in the summer I picked up the Irish Ferries freebie magazine. Lo and behold it contained an article about motorhoming in Kerry. The local tourist board had supplied the journalist with a rented campervan and he toured the county and wrote a nice piece about it, designed to encourage other motorhomers to visit Kerry.
    So, either the recession has changed the Kerry authorities attitude towards motorhomes or nobody told the officials involved that they don't want campervans in the county.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 atb

loobylou wrote: »
    Forgot about this thread.
    Coming back from France in the summer I picked up the Irish Ferries freebie magazine. Lo and behold it contained an article about motorhoming in Kerry. The local tourist board had supplied the journalist with a rented campervan and he toured the county and wrote a nice piece about it, designed to encourage other motorhomers to visit Kerry.
    So, either the recession has changed the Kerry authorities attitude towards motorhomes or nobody told the officials involved that they don't want campervans in the county.:D
    hi loobyloo thats intresting will do the rounds early next year and let u know i do hope so as kerry is so beautiful:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

I am travelling to Kenmare for saturday and hopin got stay in the area.
    Anybody have any suggestions?
    Good site or safe wild camp would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

Unfortunately Kerry is one of the most camper unfriendly places I have found... They try everything to push you to a camper site that is charging B&B rates IMO.. Especially the main tourist spots.

In Kenmare I had no problem street parking on the small square/park in the centre of the town but only stayed there one night..

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Donnchadh1

Macspower wrote: »
    Unfortunately Kerry is one of the most camper unfriendly places I have found... They try everything to push you to a camper site that is charging B&B rates IMO.. Especially the main tourist spots.

In Kenmare I had no problem street parking on the small square/park in the centre of the town but only stayed there one night..

Macpower,

I'm not sure but do you think that maybe your first statement and your second statement might be linked?

I read this forum a good bit and I always wonder about people who ask about wild camping spots and then somone suggest a car park in a built up area. Is this what passes as wild camping? I dunno?
    TBH waking up in a car park with peoples houses around does not appeal to me at all and I suppose its contary to why I got a campervan. Also I'd have to think if I lived there would I be ok with campervans there.

I'd be interested to know what others views on this?

Rgd,

Donnchadh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

As a surfer I do it all the time I've only just gotten a van but I've borrowed friends van few times and often gone away surfing with him or others. Lots of surfers park up in Strandhill, Lahinch, Enniscrone....

The local buisness get the benefit of our spending. There are camp sites but what do they offer use for the 20 or so euros a night - not much. We arrive late on Friday night when it's locked up. We're better off parked by the beach for the day, nearer boards and somewhere to get changed. If the wind changes or the swell drops we'll go somewhere else. The camp sites are close in winter but there are still surfers around.

We've wild camped in remote parts of Mayo which is something special, where there isn't a camp site but still we'd all end up spending 20 or 30+ euros in the local supper market / coffee shops - not much but it adds up.

Maybe that's where we differ some people see the motor home as the main event but to a lot of surfers it primarily a means of transport and accommodation / shelter which provides freedom to move.

But yes I agree there are places where it's not appropriate and we should always leave nothing but foot steps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Leona C

HI there

We were recently in Dingle Co kerry and could not find places to stay as the large two car parks in town clearly stated motorhomes were not welcome saying they would be towed! I think it is a shame and sh0rt sighted of councils and local businesses to do this. They should take a leaf out of Askeaton's book and look to our european friends in how they cater for and welcome motorhome owners. I hope this will change in the future. In saying all of that we did find an incredibly friednly pub near Inch where we were made to feel very welcome indeed so much so, we ended up spending a week with them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

Leona C wrote: »
    HI there

We were recently in Dingle Co kerry and could not find places to stay as the large two car parks in town clearly stated motorhomes were not welcome saying they would be towed! I think it is a shame and sh0rt sighted of councils and local businesses to do this. They should take a leaf out of Askeaton's book and look to our european friends in how they cater for and welcome motorhome owners. I hope this will change in the future. In saying all of that we did find an incredibly friednly pub near Inch where we were made to feel very welcome indeed so much so, we ended up spending a week with them!!

Leona C
    Are the towing signs new ? We stayed in the car park during the August weekend and had no problems. 7 or 8 other campers there also. The usual "no overnight parking" signs were there but nothing about towing. We called to the tourist office and they said there was no problem staying there. We were planning on going there for the October weekend so this could mean a change of plan !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I've never had any problem with the car park in Dingle. Usually 8 to 10 campers there.
    In Kenmare, head out the Glengariff road but just before the suspension bridge on the edge of town, take a right towards the pier. Usually a few campers wild cmping there. About half a mile from town.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

TigerTim wrote: »
    I've never had any problem with the car park in Dingle. Usually 8 to 10 campers there.
    In Kenmare, head out the Glengariff road but just before the suspension bridge on the edge of town, take a right towards the pier. Usually a few campers wild cmping there. About half a mile from town.

T.

Another place in Kenmare is there is a fairly large carpark outside both the Boys and Girls National schools, however this would only be handy in the summer when the schools are closed and everywhere is blocked off there around the 15th of August when the mass invasion of travellers comes for the horse fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 limerickguy2

hey guys those bylaws apply to all overnight campers not just people in campervans ,so dont feel hard done by .the reason for it is debateable so why not ask kerry county council for explanation ,i do believe though that its goin to happen on every beach as one can see a lot of these e.u.directive signs been erected in galway ,clare and kerry beaches recenty which prohibit a lot of things ,people dont even read them .i think if no one else is allowed camp on beach why should a camper be allowed to ?fair is fair .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Danuogma

Screw them. I was approached by a Kerry CoCo jobsworth a couple of summers ago near Castlegregory, I didn't have a camper van, I had a 2 man tent and a car. I was well off the beaten track and when he approached and told me that I had to use an approved camping ground I basically told him to fup off.
    Its a sad day when malignant jobsworths on powertrips go out of their way to annoy and harass people who aren't bothering anyone.

Advertisement