Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Northside in the 80s

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

humberklog wrote: »
    I remember the pikeys well. They were there for nearly a year or more...feckin mare. Indeed Peats in maypark...used to know the family(think they still live on elm mount ave.)and on same run of shops was Conways. They supplied the bar trade and always had exotic things in the window...things like cocktail umberellas. These were very exotic in the 70's!
    Past the Stardust was a sawmill (apartments now, think it was called Mckeowen) where you could pay the 'gotchie' 5p and he'd let you lep from the high pipes into a big mountain of sawdust.
    Anyone shop in Celtic Stores (around celtic park)? Corner shop run by two of the wickedest witches ever!

I remember celtic stores alright, they always had a load of kids gadgets on the right as you went in the door. Most kids now would not be amused by the stuff we had like marbles and making bangers out of caps and sellotape. The 2 auld deers were hags alright but the auldfella was sound.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Cocoon wrote: »
    I remember celtic stores alright, they always had a load of kids gadgets on the right as you went in the door. Most kids now would not be amused by the stuff we had like marbles and making bangers out of caps and sellotape. The 2 auld deers were hags alright but the auldfella was sound.
    He was a gent. I think he was married to the less feirce and more blonde of them. Good shop for airfix,mathbox cars and balsa wood planes. I've drifted into the 70's with celtic stores though. There is a shop on oxmanstown rd. in stoneybatter called Maureen's and for hatefulness she has the exact same lack of manners and disdain for her clientel as did the red head in celtics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Dublin Writer- Yes but I've also lived within a kilometre of Crown my whole life and nobody I know has ever said anything about paint smell. And I've had many conversations about Tayto and Cadbury smells.

Des - to whom do you refer? (PM maybe!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Some great footage there,I grew up in Donnycarney and never knew there was a peats on the Malahide road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Just came across this video yesterday and it blew me away. Its scary to see whats changed and whats hardly changed at all. I have no recollection of northside shopping centre being a brown and white building. I noticed the recreation centre is not there beside St Davids school - my old haunt. What I would give to get more of this footage. I noticed how Dunnes was a smaller store in Northside before it got extended about 10 - 15 years ago. Brilliant stuff OP.

Does anybody remember from the 1980's:

- King video store beside the Esso station in the village.
    - The much larger roundabout near the Esso station thats still there today.
    - Atlantic homecare with the brown brick building attached to the side of the main corrigated store before the fire in 1993.
    - Abrakekabra where Liz Delaneys was.
    - The old factory where UCI is. I remember travellers used to occupy these grounds a good bit before the factory was demolished circa 1990.
    - In Northside swimming pool, the wooden boxes you put your stuff into when going for a swim. The spiral tiled stair case on your way up to buy tickets. (Probably still there today, but its been 20 years since Ive been inside!)
    - Quinnsworth in Northside shopping centre where A Wear was.
    -The old Dunnes stores with the checkouts in the middle of the store + the red and cream square tiles. All the toys / non food stuff was at the front of the store.
    - A big bike section at the back of Tommys in Northside.
    - A bike shop where the post office is now in Northside.
    - St. David secondary school grounds used to extend all the way to the Malahide road before selling some of the land to build houses in the very early 1990's.
    - Greencastle memorial park across from St. Josephs church was just flat grass till they did it up in the early 1990's.
    - The old boat that was up on stilts behind the railing of Coilaste Duliage opposite Atlantic. Dont ask me what it was doing there, but I remember as a kid getting in under the railings and mucking around in it a few times.
    - Burnt out cars in the Santry river!
    - Clonshaugh lane, N32 bound used to descend into dense overgrowth with a narrow road that would bend around to the left and head over a different bridge that would be to the left of where the bridged roundabout at the M50 / M1 interchange exists today. This bridge would then bring you out near the old Texaco garage on the airport road vis some small bungalows and factories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    - The old factory where UCI is. I remember traveller used to occupy these grounds a good bit before the factory was demolished circa 1990.

Wasn't that Smurfit's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Rashers wrote: »
    Wasn't that Smurfit's?

Possibly, but I always thought that Smufits was a separate building at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

-The old Dunnes stores with the checkouts in the middle of the store + the red and cream square tiles. All the toys / non food stuff was at the front of the store.

remember the units all the clothes where displayed on, there was storage spaces under them, as a kid I used to get in and crawl from one end to the other, my ma could never find me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seancoyle

Just came across this video yesterday and it blew me away. Its scary to see whats changed and whats hardly changed at all. I have no recollection of northside shopping centre being a brown and white building. I noticed the recreation centre is not there beside St Davids school - my old haunt. What I would give to get more of this footage. I noticed how Dunnes was a smaller store in Northside before it got extended about 10 - 15 years ago. Brilliant stuff OP.

Does anybody remember from the 1980's:

- King video store beside the Esso station in the village.
    - The much larger roundabout near the Esso station thats still there today.
    - Atlantic homecare with the brown brick building attached to the side of the main corrigated store before the fire in 1993.
    - Abrakekabra where Liz Delaneys was.
    - The old factory where UCI is. I remember travellers used to occupy these grounds a good bit before the factory was demolished circa 1990.
    - In Northside swimming pool, the wooden boxes you put your stuff into when going for a swim. The spiral tiled stair case on your way up to buy tickets. (Probably still there today, but its been 20 years since Ive been inside!)
    - Quinnsworth in Northside shopping centre where A Wear was.
    - A big bike section at the back of Tommys in Northside.
    - A bike shop where the post office is now in Northside.
    - St. David secondary school grounds used to extend all the way to the Malahide road before selling some of the land to build houses in the very early 1990's.
    - Greencastle memorial park across from St. Josephs church was just flat grass till they did it up in the early 1990's.
    - The old boat that was up on stilts behind the railing of Coilaste Duliage opposite Atlantic. Dont ask me what it was doing there, but I remember as a kid getting in under the railings and mucking around in it a few times.
    - Burnt out cars in the Santry river!
    - Clonshaugh lane, N32 bound used to descend into dense overgrowth with a narrow road that would bend around to the left and head over a different bridge that would be to the left of where the bridged roundabout at the M50 / M1 interchange exists today. This bridge would then bring you out near the old Texaco garage on the airport road vis some small bungalows and factories.
    I Remember the old atlantic and abrakadabra
    Do you remember the name of the cafe where o'briens sandwiches is now in Northside Shopping Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Abrakebabra was originally a KFC wasn't it? Or was it the other way around?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 seancoyle

It Was Kfc First but i Was Talking About The Cafe in the shopping centre It Was Beside Cosgraves Butchers Facing Superquinn I Can't Think Of The Name Of It.

I remember the old Dunnes too it was all hardware/toys stuff up the front and the supermarket at the back.
    And I kinda remember the bike shop.
    ah the old days ha ha.
    Remember Wonder Burger And The Pet Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I try hard to forget about Wonderburger.

Knowing I'll never have another one of their burgers again upsets be greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 baggytrousers

I got stuck many a time in the turnstiles in Northside Dunnes, i'd have to stay with the prams then at the front of the shop and wait for mam to be finished shopping...i'm a girl but mam used to cut my hair short..so vividly remember an auld fella patting me on the head and saying, howya son...now my my hair is touching the floor and i'm 7ft tall..i exaggrate for effect...remember travelling on the edge of the go-kart to northside sc, me on one side, my big brother on the other and baby brother...well must have been in the middle with the sack of potatoes we'd get on the way back from a guy who had a place between Ardmore drive where we lived and northside...s'mad...i remember the place though better without the castle sc, it was all northside or town back then...s'cool trip down memory lane, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭meolwan

Does anyone remember the name of the shop in notherside were superquinn is now???

Advertisement