Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Northside in the 80s

Options
  • 02-07-2008 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭

Currently making a documentary on the history of community radio in Ireland at work... I managed to dig up an old documentary made on the subject back from 1984.

There was some wonderful footage in it from Coolock, Artane and Donnycarney.

I edited all the street side stuff together and threw it up on YouTube as I reckon other people will get as much as a kick from it as I did.

It's worth noting that Artane Castle had only just opened when this was shot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That's a great video monkeyfudge, thanks for posting it.

Is it the only one?

So weird seeing the Roundabout outside The Castle without The Rec over beyond it.

Where was Peats?

Do you know which flats they showed? It didn't look like the ones opposite Northside SC (which looks weird too, that huge Dunnes sign, I remember that).

And I could just see The Tec beside Northside.

The only thing missing from that video is an orange 27A.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Peats is where the Apache Pizza is now on the Malahide Road... just before you get to Donnycarney Church.

And those are the Flats on the Kilmore Road. They really haven't changed alot aside from the fact that they painted the grey bits terracotta a few years back.

The only other footage I have that might of interest is some vox pops recorded inside Artane Castle... you can see the turnstile that I got my head stuck in as a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

wahey!
    Savage footage!

I was 6! Ardmore Drive rules lol!

Peats is where the Apache Pizza is now on the Malahide Road... just before you get to Donnycarney Church.
    Really? I never remember a Peats there, and my Granny use to live in Old Donnycarney, we would have walked past there loads of times.

Do you remember a truck crashed into Artane Cottages there opposite the Goblet?
    And those are the Flats on the Kilmore Road.

There seems to be loads more in the video than I have a vision in my head.

Hmm, you probably know the flats better than me, being from there and all. :pac:
    The only other footage I have that might of interest is some vox pops recorded inside Artane Castle... you can see the turnstile that I got my head stuck in as a child.

Can I see them?

I might recognise someone.

And I want to see the turnstile tbh.

Einstein wrote: »

Ardmore fags.

• Advertisement

I'll see about putting some more stuff from it up later.

There's some top quality 80s facial hair in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nice clip. I got my first ever Star Wars figure in the Artane Shopping centre. Remember it like it was yesterday!

Is that building even still around today? :confused:

Artane Castle? Of course it's still there.

Although it's probably gone through more changes than Northside Shopping Centre has in the same amount of time.

Big changes coming for Northside soon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Poppy78

You've brought a tear to my eye monkeyfudge.

Someone should do the same journey again and we can see what's different and what's the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

So little traffic! I was probably only a little blastula then but it's great to see what the areas looked like then compared to now. Post anymore up if you come across them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

northside sc is a sh1thole, worked there for a while a few years ago.

im a donaghmede lad myself, any footage from down as far as us no?

cant view the video in work

Pigman II wrote: »
    Is that building even still around today? :confused:

Artane Castle SC?

Yeah, it's still there, has a Tesco in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Pigman II wrote: »
    Nice clip. I got my first ever Star Wars figure in the Artane Shopping centre.

I grew up in Raheny, so my first Star Wars figure came from Donaghmede SC circa 1977 from Pride and Joy (it was Chewbecca for the record). But in the early 80s it was rumoured that all the "new" SW toys from ROTJ were in Artane SC. So, after a lot of persuading I was to be brought over - my 'ol lad couldn't find his way from one side of D5 to the other - and we got lost. Que 20 minutes whereby the 'ol lad was getting more and more angry - and finally the car was turned around and I was brought home empty handed - I was sooooo disappointed :(
    copeyhagen wrote:

Yeah, always hated it too. In fairness donaghmede sc isn't too great either - although at-least its much improved compared to the 80s. Of course the nearest shop to me growing up was the Kilbarrack SC - and although I believe they've tried (haven't been back in years) the only way to improve that kip would be to knock it down and start again :(

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I grew up in Baldoyle, so it wasn't a million miles away.

Amazing how the shots of the car park of the Artane Castle look like a breaker's yard!

I remember the Peats in Donnycarney, they were still selling reel-to-reel tapes when I went in there circa 1983!

...and of course The Goblet, pronounced Gob-leh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

The Goblet, pronounced Gob-leh.

The Gobble-it ... far more classy than The Whiff O'Shyte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Good stuff monkeyfudge. Artane Castle looks like a huge lego brick from the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

wow remember 84 a lot of those cars were made in this country including the hino truck (i think its an old hino) the fiat, renaut 4 and the ford cortina even the green bus -the bombardier plant in shannon
    nearly all closed in or around 84 weirdly enough, rising labour costs were sited the same oul ****e excuse:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (though their sister plants in UK and spain(the fiat plant in spain became the first seat factory) have continued despite wages and costs much higher then and now:confused::confused::confused:)

where on earth did you get such great footage and of course is there any more? any from any other part of the country?
    a good place for footage would be the rte archives though most of the reels were recorded over im sure theres some left proberbly wont give them though:(

great stuff monkey fudge thanks a million your gold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

wow remember 84 a lot of those cars were made in this country including the hino truck (i think its an old hino) the fiat, renaut 4 and the ford cortina even the green bus -the bombardier plant in shannon
    nearly all closed in or around 84 weirdly enough, rising labour costs were sited the same oul ****e excuse:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: (though their sister plants in UK and spain(the fiat plant in spain became the first seat factory) have continued despite wages and costs much higher then and now:confused::confused::confused:)

Yeah, I always thought it was funny though, seeing those Fiat 127s running around with a "Guaranteed Irish" sticker at the back.

trout wrote: »
    The Gobble-it ... far more classy than The Whiff O'Shyte

Hmm, maybe back in '84 yeah, not today however.

The Goblet has gone to shíte since the smoking ban, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I'll see about putting some more stuff from it up later.

Please do when you get the chance.

I only came across this thread this morning. I go back a bit further having lived in the area during the '60s. Some of my family still live there.

Ahh happy memories. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Einstein wrote: »

It only ruled in '85/'86 when I lived there :p, I remember one of the houses on the road going up in flames around that time, and remember going to the flea market across from Artane Castle.
    DesF wrote: »
    So weird seeing the Roundabout outside The Castle without The Rec over beyond it.

The Rec must have been built just after that was filmed because I remember it being there.

I also lived in Bonnybrook (Coolock) before that, ahh the smell from the Tayto and Cadbury factory’s, and going swimming in Northside SC, what a kip :eek:, anyone been to the pool lately? I wonder what it's like now.

dylbert wrote: »
    The Rec must have been built just after that was filmed because I remember it being there.

When it was built my family took out a membership, I still have my old card somewhere, but the picture I have in my head I'm about seven or eight in it, possibly a tad younger, so that would be about right. I was born in '79.
    I also lived in Bonnybrook (Coolock) before that,
    I'm from just the other side of the Oscar Traynor Rd, the "posh" part of Coolock, you should take a visit back down to Bonnybrook, they are tearing down the Maisonettes and building apartments, all facing out on to the Oscar Traynor, it's going to look much different soon.
    ahh the smell from the Tayto and Cadbury factory’s,

Tayto is closed now, but that smell of the chocolate is still in the air sometimes. I used to love heading out to school on the mornings when the wind was right, you could almost eat the air.
    and going swimming in Northside SC, what a kip :eek:, anyone been to the pool lately? I wonder what it's like now.

Remember the different coloured lights on the panel? And the hooter would go off when your time was up, going by the band they gave you for your arm. Total kip of a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Cheers for that monkeyfudge! Could almost see my house. Very tempted to go out and do a updated video for it since it's where I live.
    Of course in 1984 I was -2 but it's still nice to see what it used to look like.

I am so happy Tayto is closed because when the smell combined with that of Cadburys it was vile.

I am so happy Tayto is closed because when the smell combined with that of Cadburys it was vile.
    Nooo...Tayto was next to the Paint Factory. The combined smell when driving by was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Come on Crown paints does not have a smell.
    I know this, I worked there for a summer.

You'll know an ex of mine then.:eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

copeyhagen wrote: »
    Actually it was a great great shopping centre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Class video monkeyfudge thanks for posting, I could easily have been in it on my raleigh grifter. I grew up in Elm Mount and would have been 13 at the time. Does anybody remember the travellers moving into the site where the Rec is now? I also had forgotton that Peats was in Maypark.

It's called Desensitivisation, I've underlined the salient clue.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Cocoon wrote: »
    Class video monkeyfudge thanks for posting, I could easily have been in it on my raleigh grifter. I grew up in Elm Mount and would have been 13 at the time. Does anybody remember the travellers moving into the site where the Rec is now? I also had forgotton that Peats was in Maypark.
    I remember the pikeys well. They were there for nearly a year or more...feckin mare. Indeed Peats in maypark...used to know the family(think they still live on elm mount ave.)and on same run of shops was Conways. They supplied the bar trade and always had exotic things in the window...things like cocktail umberellas. These were very exotic in the 70's!
    Past the Stardust was a sawmill (apartments now, think it was called Mckeowen) where you could pay the 'gotchie' 5p and he'd let you lep from the high pipes into a big mountain of sawdust.
    Anyone shop in Celtic Stores (around celtic park)? Corner shop run by two of the wickedest witches ever!

Advertisement