Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy binoculars - suggestions / advice please

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Smartypantsdig

lillies1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

so what would this option be like

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5800470/Trail/searchtext%3EBINOCULARS.htm

10 magnification , would they be ok for general use?

The problem I have with buying binoculars for somebody else is this... what would suit them? For this reason I would not generally buy unless the person had tried them out first. How about getting him a voucher for a camera/binocular shop and letting him choose? Not very romantic I know...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭sables2

lillies1 wrote: »
    Hi,

My BF would love binoculars for Christmas. i don't have much of an idea. He loves walking in the mountain. They wouldn't be exclusively for bird watching but for nature and in anything else in general. Can you recommed anything to me or what are these like

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5800470/Trail/searchtext%3EBINOCULARS.htm

or

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5800456/Trail/searchtext%3EBINOCULARS.htm

Is there anything you would recommend for about €60 thats all i have to spend? Thaks in advance
    Hi there. I wouldn't touch the Argos binoculars with a barge pole putting it bluntly.It was mentioned on this thread earlier: the Opticron Tiega's 8x25 are AMAZING bins for the price alone! They're about £80 €90 approx. These are compact..so they're light and will fit into your pocket. Amazing optically for the price alone. They seriously compete with the 'Alphas'...(that means the best bins). Look at any birder/bino forum sites and type in: Opticron Tiega - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Lads,
    I was up in Dublin looking at binoculars, essentially Opticron. They regularly pop up in forums as being good bins for less money than the real A-listers.
    So I'm shown a pair for ca. E 300. I think they were Opticron BGAs and another for ca. E 800. The latter were DBA oasis s-coated 10x42s.
    In comparison to the dire Lidl ones I curently have, they both seemed amazing. Any experienced comments on what I would be getting for E 500 extra please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Connacht wrote: »
    Lads,
    Any experienced comments on what I would be getting for E 500 extra please ?

Firstly, you may get a lot more if you look to the UK, rip-off Ireland is still alive and well when it come to optics:mad: I bought a pair of bins from the UK for €250 inc P&P which retail here for €400. I like to support local businesses, but I refuse to be ripped off to that extent.

In optical terms, the extra money should be getting you things like better edge sharpness, better light transmission which will be noticeable in bad light, less colour fringeing and so on. If you are only really going to be using them on fine, bright days the cheaper ones will do. If you think you will be out in poor lighting you will appreciate the dearer optics.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

thanks HC, yeah don't worry about the price - I'll unfortunately have to buy them overseas for around 20% cheaper, incl postage. Mind you, I'll be stressing about damage in transit until I get them.
    Anyway, I was delighted you mentioned the light, as I do go out around dusk quite a bit and have terrible problems at the mo, as I can't see a thing once dusk begins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

Hi there, I need to get a pair of 8x42 binoculars for a trip soon.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I wouldn't really know what to look for. Was hoping to spend around €50 but not sure how realistic this is!

Any and all advice much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You'll get a great variety of answers on this one.

8x42 are perfect but mine cost €800+ many years ago. I think you get what you pay for with bins. I wouldn't recommend anything at €50 to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

You'll get a great variety of answers on this one.

8x42 are perfect but mine cost €800+ many years ago. I think you get what you pay for with bins. I wouldn't recommend anything at €50 to be perfectly honest.

I suspected as much unfortunately. I'm not able to spend anywhere near that much, but I understand where you're coming from.

Anyone have an opinion on something like this?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushnell-150842-H2O-8x42-Binoculars/dp/B001QC55DI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nothing wrong with them for that money. They are relatively heavy and the focus can be stiff but at that price absolutely fine for birding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

banjopaul wrote: »
    I suspected as much unfortunately. I'm not able to spend anywhere near that much, but I understand where you're coming from.

Anyone have an opinion on something like this?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bushnell-150842-H2O-8x42-Binoculars/dp/B001QC55DI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Hi banjopaul,

I would agree with Srameen.

I can also vouch for these Oregon binoculars for similar money in Ireland (and supporting a local wildlife charity rather than a global giant like Amazon).

http://shop.birdwatchireland.ie/birdwatchireland/product_info.php?products_id=697

I think you will find that buying binoculars is a bit like buying wine (you know how a €7 bottle is often ten times better than a €5 bottle, but there might not be much difference between a €20 and a €50 bottle - or so I am told).

Well with binoculars the difference in quality between a €50 pair and a pair in the €50-150 bracket is ENORMOUS....usually. You can also find overpriced binoculars in both ranges.

Know what you want - and waterproof/gas-filled is in this country's climate an absolute minimum.

I think that between €100 and €400-500 you get what you pay for broadly speaking, above that you are comparing Ferraris with Lamborghinis.

LostCovey

• Advertisement

Have a look at the Opticron range. They have everything from budget to high end models. I'd buy as high up the range as you can afford/want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

I had a look through a Swarovski a couple of weeks back - unbelievable! Down side they are over £1500

Mark
    N Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

Hi all, having had a good read through this thread I have gained a lot of information re binocuars.

I am looking to buy a pair for birdwatching as well as other wildlife and that I can take hiking. Coud anyone offer advice on these two pairs, they are almost the same, one being 10x and one being 8x.

http://www.binoculars-uk.co.uk/acatalog/Opticron_Adventurer_WP.html

I know the 10x might be harder to control handshake etc but wouldnt they be better for long distances or should I just go with the 8x? Is there much of a difference?
    Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

8x will be better in marginal light. For a general purpose bins, I'd take 8x over 10x everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eyeore

Thanks Mothman. I appreciate the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Would you smart chaps mind commenting on the differences between:

Opticron Oregon Scientific 42 WP

and

Opticron Adventurer 8x42 DCF GA

I can see the weight and price differences, but what other important differences are there?
    Feel free to recommend one.
    Or, if there is something else in the 75-100 price range, please feel free to say so!

While not familiar with either model as a rule the more you pay the better the quality with the Opticron range. More money gets you a sharper brighter image, especially in low light and around the edges of the field of view. You may also get better waterproofing etc. Best check out the Opticron website for detailed specs. Both the models you asked about are at the lower end of the price range so don't expect Zeiss or Swarovski quality!!! Either will be fine for general daylight work.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

While not familiar with either model as a rule the more you pay the better the quality with the Opticron range. More money gets you a sharper brighter image, especially in low light and around the edges of the field of view. You may also get better waterproofing etc. Best check out the Opticron website for detailed specs. Both the models you asked about are at the lower end of the price range so don't expect Zeiss or Swarovski quality!!! Either will be fine for general daylight work.

Price=quality was pretty much my assumption, so thanks for your comments on that.
    These are very much a starter pair, so I'm happy to start right near the bottom of the range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Janet McKennedy

Hey experts,

I am looking at a pair of binoculars for my 12 year old nephew. I have found a pair of Greenkat 10 x35 for €25. Would these be suitable for him? Are they good binoculars? Difficult to use?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

At 25 I dont think so. What does he want to look at with them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Hey experts,

I am looking at a pair of binoculars for my 12 year old nephew. I have found a pair of Greenkat 10 x35 for €25. Would these be suitable for him? Are they good binoculars? Difficult to use?

Thanks.

I have never heard of Greenkat before and the only thing I can find out about them online is that they are a Russian company. Unfortunately Russia is not noted for producing great optics.

Looking at some pictures online of the model, I think they will be quite heavy and the combination of high magnification (10x) and very narrow lens width (35) will probably result in a fairly poor image.

With binoculars and telescopes, the glass used on lenses is key in terms of getting a good model and unfortunately high quality glass costs. If you are just starting off birding, there is no need to go for high-end models by Leica, Swarovski or Zeiss - there are good models available at reasonable prices.

Personally, I use this model Opticron Oregon 8x42 (can be bought from BirdWatch Ireland @ €125). However, I would suggest going in to a camera shop (or the BWI shop) and trying out a couple of pairs to find a model that suits you best in terms of weight, price and image quality. Everyone has a different "feel" with binoculars, so its good to try out a couple of options.

Another tip is to stay away from binoculars with zoom lenses, the image quzlity is almost always pure garbage.

Thanks guys,

He's 12 and he's just interested in nature generally. I don't want to spend a lot on them because he's 12 and it's a lot of responsibility etc. but I want him to have something that he can use for a few years.

I'll have a look on the BWI shop.

Thanks!

Janet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

I once had the same question as I wanted to look at the night sky ( some 20 years ago, still doing it now lol ) so I wrote to Patrick Moore ( sorry Sir PM ! ). Anyway, I got a reply form him and he gave me great advice. Advice I followed when I wanted to get another pair for myself again. The original pair I bought as a result of his information was by a brand called 'Helios' russian optics. My parents have them now. ( 10 X 50 ) gives the best field of view and overall magnification. So he said. He was right too. He also mentioned to make sure that the lenses were strapped in. I think these days they use other methods. He also mentioned that if you actually look throught them ( the wrong way from arms length , in other words, the widest part) you should see a perfect circle. The lennses therefore are not cramped into position.
    Anyway, 2 years ago I went into a shop in Dublin which I would reccommend. I bought a pair of Nikon 10 x 50 for about 120Euro. They are perfect and Nikon have excellent optics.
    The shop location is as follows fyi, Central bank in town near temple bar, going towards grafton street. If you cross at the lights after coming from under the central bank. Follow the streat around and on the corner you'll come to a camera shop. This is where I bought them. Sorry for the bad directions, I'll look up google map if you wish to give you a proper location .
    Hope this helps

Rich;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Thats Dublin Camera Exchange on Trinity Street.
    The Camera centre on Grafton Street is also good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Thanks Vizzy, That's the one...:)

That's really useful. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭WildIreland

Hi all... interesting thread.

I test lots of different binocular models for review on the Ireland's Wildlife website, and over the years have developed a pretty comprehensive understanding of what to look for in the ideal wildlife and bird watching binocular at any given price point.

With binoculars the "you get what you pay for" mantra still largely holds true... although there are a few surprises out there with emerging companies like Vanguard, Vortex, Hawke and the superb Czech optics company Meopta all punching well above their weight when it comes to performance for the money (Meopta's flagship scope and bins easily match the image quality of high end Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss and Nikon offerings, but are around half the price).

I recently wrote up my 10 key tips when shopping for new wildlife or birding binoculars -- you'll find the article on the website here:

http://www.irelandswildlife.com/choosing-binoculars-for-birding/

Hope some people find it useful.

All the best,

Calvin!

Advertisement