Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy binoculars - suggestions / advice please

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

cfitz wrote: »
    They'd be 95 pounds when you add the postage, so I think that'd definitely be at the upper end of my budget. My max budget was 50 EUR! Thanks for the help, appreciate it.

50 is very tight for a reasonable pair, maybe one of the following but keep in mind that these aren't sealed units so make sure and keep them dry to avoid moisture getting in.
    The first are still 69 pound so probably still too expensive, the second are a little over 42 pound.
    http://www.alanaecology.com/acatalog/Opticron_Vega_II_Binoculars_8_x_40.html
    http://www.microglobe.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?pName=bushnell-8x40-birder-natureview-porro-prim-binoculars-118401&cName=bushnell-binoculars-bushnell-natureview-binoculars

These aren't going to be the easiest on the eyes for long periods of use so take breaks regularly when using them.
    I've never bought of these companies so can't vouch as to how good they are or what the delivery prices are.

Another option may be to go to a place that sells second hand gear, some photography shops sell bins second hand so you could get a bargain.

Or someone else here may have a suggestion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

The Bushnell pair above are not too bad for a statrt-up pair. But as is stated above, take rests from the viewing every few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Stay away from zoom binoculars, they are only another gimmick to catch the unwary buyer.

Disagree! You just trade in some features, the main one being field of view.

As you zoom in, the image does get darker and it is more difficult to keep the binocs steady, but that is the same with any high magnification pair.

One the flip side, they are much more versatile and a lot of fun.

I have a Nikon Eagleview and just love it.

Have to admit though that I dont find the Nikon Action 10-22x50 or the Zhumell 9-27x50 good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

When it comes to bins: Light, definition, and field of view are critical. I would never recommend Zooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

Hi. Like many have said, may as well post here rather than start a new thread.

I need a pair of binoculars for whalewatching. So far I've read that anything over 8x magnification will be difficult to keep steady on a boat, and that the bigger the front lens is over 40mm, the better (more light will be let in).

I'm assuming I'll need them to be waterproof (should I expect WP bins to float?), anti-fogging and light-weight?

No budget as such, but prices seem to be around €200 or so, or over €1000, and I'm not spending €1000 . . .

Based on my reading & assumptions, the bins I'm listing below seem to fit my requirements. Are there any on my list that I shouldn't even consider for any reason, or are there others I should be looking at instead? I'm not tied to this seller - they're just one I found while browsing.

http://www.parkcameras.com/2275/Nikon-8x40-CF-Action-EX-Binoculars.html

http://www.parkcameras.com/2276/Nikon-7x50-CF-Action-EX-Binoculars.html

http://www.parkcameras.com/11851/Pentax-8x40-PCF-WP-II.html

http://www.parkcameras.com/13819/Kenko-Ultraview-7-x-50-SP.html

I may also look at a spotting scope for land-based watching, but I haven't started researching those yet.

Thanks for any replies,

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bear in mind that binoculars with a 50mm objective lens will gather over one and a half times as much light as a pair with 40mm objectives - not too important in broad daylight, but might make a difference if it's very overcast.

I hear you.

Haven't found a pair of 8x50 around the €200 mark yet. Would I notice a major difference between 7x and 8x if I were to decide on a 7x50 pair?

Thanks,

Mark

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't know for sure, but i suspect there would be little difference.

i've a pair of pentax 7x50s which cost me €100, and there's a noticeable dropoff in image quality around the edge of the field of view.

Can you tell me which model 7x50 those Pentax bins are?

The 8x40 Pentax I listed are £140 - they're "waterproof" (to me this just means that I shouldn't worry too much if they get splashed, and not that I can go snorkelling with them . . .), and are nitrogen-filled so should be fog-free.

There are a few around €200 that seem to match that spec, but I'm guessing if I choose either the Nikon Action EX or the Pentax PCF WP II, I shouldn't be too disappointed? There's only an 8x40 in that Pentax range, but both an 8x40 and a 7x50 in the Nikon Action EX range.

When it comes to a decision between 7x and 8x, I can feel the dark side pulling me toward choosing the slightly higher magnification models, and saying things in my head like "I'm sure I probably wouldn't even notice the difference between the light-collecting ability of 50mm and 40mm front lenses".

I suppose it's only after using whichever pair I choose for a while that I'll really know what I'd like.

FWIW, I've also read since posting here that Opticron could be worth a look too?

http://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Opticron_Imagic_TGA_WP_8x42_Binoculars

I wish that scumbag who broke into my car years ago hadn't stolen my Gerber 7x50 bins. There were nice. Ho-hum.

Thanks,

Mark

Got a pair of Nikon Action EX 7x50 from Park Cameras in UK. Just over €180 inc shipping.

Not had them out on a trip yet, but they feel like a high quality pair of bins. Not particularly light, but the strap is maybe 40mm wide, so that should make up for it a bit. Might bring them out on a walk on the coast tomorrow afternoon.

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Mean_Mudda

Thinking about going for these puppies.
    Seem powerful and good brand..
    Anyone got any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Hiya,Im looking into possibly getting new binoculars for birdwatching.I currently have a promaster 8x45 pair that i got in america a few years ago so cant find model online. I was looking at birdwatch at their Countryman BGA - T Binocular 8X42.Im just wondering if anyone could tell me is there much difference between the two and is it worth getting new ones as old ones are still working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭1squidge

I'm selling a pair of nikon monarchs 10x42 if your interested. I cant comment on the countrymans but I have a pair of opticrons bgas in 8x mag and the extra 1x in the nikons comes in handy when seawatching or just looking at longer distances. Although I would have a biased opinion as I'm selling so maybe someone else could give you an unbiased opinion on having two pairs of 8x as opposed too having different magnifications. Ger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭smallgarden

hiya could you tell me what the 8x45 stands for.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Squidge, why are you selling the Nikon 10 x 42s, if you don't mind me asking. Are they quality ? How do they perform light-wise at dusk ? Any issues ? Am looking for a good pairs of 10 x (I have poor eyesight) and can't afford top brands when new.

I'm upgrading and they are a quality bin that is up there with other mid price bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

hiya could you tell me what the 8x45 stands for.thanks

8x is the magnification. 45mm is the diameter of the objective lenses. The bigger the diameter, the more light gets in and the brighter your image. Larger diameters generally are better in low light. 8x45 is a decent combo. Most birders are happy with 8x42's. 8x56 is best, but you're looking at more expense and weight to carry around. Higher magnifications are useful, but also magnify movement, so if you don't have very steady hands or plan use the bins where you can rest your elbows on something, I wouldn't bother.

A tip: Wear a peaked cap while birding, you can hook your little fingers over the peak while looking through the bins and it steadies up your view quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Interesting you mention your little fingers. I use my index or middle fingers for the same purpose on my baseball cap - find the little fingers leave too much movement, but then I've 10x50s that weigh a ton. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Lidl had 10x50's for about €20 last week. Don't know if they're still there but they seem to offer them fairly regular. From what I've heard - they're excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

I use Bushnell 10x50 with a insta focus button.

Got them a good few years ago , they were recommended by Simon King on a bbc program. great for nature and star gazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Leica 10x32
    Light, can withstand hardship and a good quality picture as well.
    All you need:)

Leica 10x32
    Light, can withstand hardship and a good quality picture as well.
    All you need:)
    And expensive:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lillies1

Hi,

My BF would love binoculars for Christmas. i don't have much of an idea. He loves walking in the mountain. They wouldn't be exclusively for bird watching but for nature and in anything else in general. Can you recommed anything to me or what are these like

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5800470/Trail/searchtext%3EBINOCULARS.htm

or

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5800456/Trail/searchtext%3EBINOCULARS.htm

Is there anything you would recommend for about €60 thats all i have to spend? Thaks in advance

Sorry forgot to say, if there is something else you would recommend, please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

im no expert, im sure others on here will give better advice.

but i would go with the second pair, the praktika ones.

i think with binoculars the big thing is the zoom. the two you have picked are 10 x 42 versus 20 x 50.

obviously the 20 x 50 will show a lot more but they tend to be bigger and bulkier and will weigh more so some people go for the smaller ones.

in the 2 you have selected there is only about 200g in the difference. wouldnt be a big difference to me when you compare what you are losing through the sights.

just my 2 cents, id go with the bigger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

i actually found these last night on pixmania.
    doubt they would actually be good enough for bird watching, bit of a gimmick if you ask me, but the concept is good.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/5716564/art/mr-ispy/mr-ispy-binoculars-with-c.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've merged 3 threads. While certain models of binoculars may come and go, a lot of the advice from earlier threads is timeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Consider this recent post
    8x is the magnification. 45mm is the diameter of the objective lenses. The bigger the diameter, the more light gets in and the brighter your image. Larger diameters generally are better in low light. 8x45 is a decent combo. Most birders are happy with 8x42's. 8x56 is best, but you're looking at more expense and weight to carry around. Higher magnifications are useful, but also magnify movement, so if you don't have very steady hands or plan use the bins where you can rest your elbows on something, I wouldn't bother.
    20 x 50 bins = 20x magnification. For general use they are useless. Strike it off the list. Considering the advice above 8x magnification is a reasonable option. Holding larger magnification such as 10x and above steady is an issue and gets harder if there is any wind. Don't rule out 10x, but definitely don't consider anything above 10X

Thanks for the advice everyone.

so what would this option be like

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5800470/Trail/searchtext%3EBINOCULARS.htm

10 magnification , would they be ok for general use?

• Advertisement

bump

Advertisement