Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Increases?

Options
  • 01-07-2008 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi guys, in my usual letter that accompanies the monthly sky mag i was informed of the upcoming price increases, in my case it will be €1 p/m, surely that`s being petty (unless its down to the price of oil ;)) i am on the entertainment pack with multiroom, has anyone else got notice of any increases in price ?. Surely the price should be dropping not increasing. Its not the €1 euro that matters its the why that makes me wonder, and yet as a long time customer i am excluded from offers that new customers are given, so much for loyalty.

voyager :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

they should indeed be dropping it to take account of the euro. by most peoples reckoning its adding an extra 10% to their irish returns from the 435,000 irish subs.

but i guess they dont care cos they know that their churn rate will be quite small with the price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

About year ago i cancelled Sky because I was getting sick of their increases and justification for increase when I call was - we added more channels …operational cost in Ireland is much higher..bla bla… So I told them to stuff it. Cancelled it all and never been happier. Freesat is great. I get all the channels I want to watch and all for free.
    I still get calls from Sky reps once every 2 months with special offers to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

They really have got some neck increasing the subscription price. I'm paying 68 Euro per month for sky world. This works out at around £54 sterling.
    In the UK Sky World costs £45 a month. irish customers are getting a bum deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

that will continue until Irish costumers become price sensitive. I know a few people who have full sky package so that they can watch RTE!!! Total madness. There are lots of sky customers who don’t question sky prices. I would not go back to sky but this is my personal opinion. If people start jumping to freesat in large numbers you will see price reduction and good offers, until then sky doesn’t have to worry about prices in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

I have the full package and its gone up from 68 euro to 71

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I've had Sky since 2001 and only this evening I cancelled the Style and culture mix. It almost makes up for the price increase. Why I had that mix for that long I'll never know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭voyager

Thats a very good idea eirebhoy ;) , i think thats the way i will go myself, every time there is a price increase i will cancel one of the lesser mixes i have.

voyager :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dhaumi

I got the basic 20€ package. It's up 1€. Not that it's a fortune. But when an HD-PVR Freesat receiver comes out, I'll be so delighted to cancel Sky.

I might miss some Premiership matches, but then I paid 30€ to watch 2 matches at the most per month. With the money I can still go to the pub or a neighbour :D
    The only reason i keep Sky is RTE. But whatever happens, I want to cancel Sky before 2009. Hopefully DTT will start soon afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

Sept 2006 - € 52 euro
    Sept 2007 - € 54 euro
    Sept 2008 - € 57 euro (sports + 4 mixes)

so cancelled the sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

just got the new skymag in the door today and my sky package is now going up to €82 a month :mad: , i have ntl booked to install there tv package on monday and if it all goes well it will be so long sky.

• Advertisement

Is Chorus Digital an alternative and is the service to the standard of Sky Digital ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Is Chorus Digital an alternative and is the service to the standard of Sky Digital ?

Unfortunately no , there is no service in Ireland up to the same quality standard as Sky , Freesat has that possibility , though I havnt seen an install yet so Im not going to say how good it is , but NTL and Chorus , ( arnt they the same thing ? ) are nowhere near as good quality wise.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mathias wrote: »
    Unfortunately no , there is no service in Ireland up to the same quality standard as Sky , Freesat has that possibility , though I havnt seen an install yet so Im not going to say how good it is , but NTL and Chorus , ( arnt they the same thing ? ) are nowhere near as good quality wise.

I wouldn't say that the gap is quiet that big, Sky is better, with more channels and better picture quality. But UPC has improved a lot over the last two years and isn't that far behind.

The really attractive thing with UPC is that you can bundle TV, phone and very fast BB (20mb) for a very attractive price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭abraxas01

Won't received my bill yet as I'm working abroad for the next few months. Any chance someone could post up the blurb until I see what I'm getting hit with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I don't think the increases come into effect fully til September.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

can anyone post a copy of the letter that came with the magazine?

I threw the magazine out without even looking at it.

I currently pay €64 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Seriously how can Sky keep ignoring the value of Sterling and the Euro.They need to update their prices accordingly.

We Irish are being made to pay for the decrease in the value of Sterling and it just isnt fair.We dont even get the option of Sky Broadband or Talk Packages..

I pay 71 euro a month from 1st Sept..Thats 56 sterling..The equivalent package in the UK is 47 sterling..Thats £9 sterling a month more were paying or £108 a year.

Come on Sky.Were not mugs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lpool2k05 wrote: »
    Come on Sky.Were not mugs!!!

Sky will think you are if you continue to pay it.

What options do i have!!i have a big family who love movies and sports!!I dont mind paying for Sky at all.I just want fair treatment thats all.

Who would be hurt if I cancelled?My family...We could get UPC but their prices are not much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,015 ✭✭✭emaherx

I've just canceled my subscription.
    The only sub channels I watch are FX, Sky 1/2 and Discovery,
    And most of whats on there will be on the free channels later in the year if not already on RTE.

Now I must install that Ariel for Irish TV before I actually get cut off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Sky will think you are if you continue to pay it.

Couldn't agree more the only thing that will make sky sit up and listen is loss of revenue.

What options do i have!!i have a big family who love movies and sports!!I dont mind paying for Sky at all.I just want fair treatment thats all.

Who would be hurt if I cancelled?My family...We could get UPC but their prices are not much better.

I was that soldier a couple of years ago, I bit the bullet and cancelled, the thinking about been without it was worse than actually been without it after a couple of weeks it was same as we never had it. There are plenty of FTA channels.
    I've never heard of anybody dying from lack of sports or movies. As regards the sport far healthier to get out and support a local team.

I was that soldier a couple of years ago, I bit the bullet and cancelled, the thinking about been without it was worse than actually been without it after a couple of weeks it was same as we never had it. There are plenty of FTA channels.
    I've never heard of anybody dying from lack of sports or movies. As regards the sport far healthier to get out and support a local team.

Good for you...but i live for premiership football so i guess im just going have to continue paying :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Good for you...but i live for premiership football so i guess im just going have to continue paying :(

Yeah if you need your fix of live premier league football you dont really have any option. That was mostly the reason I had it too but just couldn't bring myself to keep lining Sky's pockets. Maybe if Raffa makes the right signings I'd be tempted to subscribe again :D

Another options would be to cancel sky and then subscribe to Setanta for the premiership etc ( € 19.99 per month) , you would also have the fta channels and could get rte via an aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Premiership football is not on Sky Movies or UK Gold ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Irish price rises

UK price rises

Absolute ripoff. The top package is now €12 more expensive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,662 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

If you have the top package off Sky plus Setanta it will cost €88 per month.
    Absolutely outrageous pricing .
    Thats over 1000 euro a year.

Considering that so many of the more popular channels are now FTA BBC1-4,ITV1-4,Ch4,E4,More4,Film Four,loads of news channels and music channels ,Sky are robbing people.

The premium movie channels are a pale shadow of what they used to be and I stopped subscribing to them years ago.
    Apart from the sports channels and a few entertainment channels the rest of the channels are garbage in my opinion.
    The epg is a mess ,it is cluttered with third rate tv channels cluttering it up.

35 euro a month in my opinion would be a fair price for the service I receive (I pay 58).
    I'm putting up a toroidal dish soon and when I do I will be telling Sky where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

Just phoned the Sky cancellations department and when I pointed out the difference in the euro pricing, he suggested writing to their customer relations department. Their address is:

Customer Relations Dept,
    Sky Subscriber Services Ltd,
    PO Box 43,
    Livingston,
    EH54 7DD,
    UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

interesting to note the increase is £2sterling and €3euro which is an exchange rate of 1stering equals 1.50euro. A crazy rip off that sky know people who want sports will have to swallow.
    again there is nothing irish consumers can do about it exept cancel as sky are a uk regulated provider and do what they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just off the phone to Sky, cancelled the Style & Culture Mix as I never watch the channels. I was asked why I wanted to cancel so I pointed out to them the exchange rate and UK prices not to mention the amount of repeats been shown, guy told me to contact their customer service department and tell them.

Advertisement