Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Traffic Corps Sign - N78

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

HonalD wrote: »
    Wow - By how much can one miss the point - Perhaps if we were more enlightened, we would slow down for our own selfish sakes...oh yeah and jsut in case we kill someone else..............Speed kills, it has nothing, NOTHING to do with if you know where speed checks are......now I'm mad :mad:

Methinks it was you who missed the point. The Gardai are (by and large) NOT attempting to slow people down at dangerous locations, they are trying to bump up their figures by catching people out at safe locations where the speed limit is too low. There are any number of examples of this, including ones where once the limit was raised to a sane level the Gardai suddenly lost interest in having speed traps there. Spare me the speed kills guff. Bad drivers kill and maim and many of them never exceed a speed limit.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

ninja900 wrote: »
    Methinks it was you who missed the point. The Gardai are (by and large) NOT attempting to slow people down at dangerous locations, they are trying to bump up their figures by catching people out at safe locations where the speed limit is too low. There are any number of examples of this, including ones where once the limit was raised to a sane level the Gardai suddenly lost interest in having speed traps there. Spare me the speed kills guff. Bad drivers kill and maim and many of them never exceed a speed limit.

No, still a mile off the target - "Spare me the speed kills guff" - Statistics damn statistics, give them a look up my dear - I am not denying that bad drivers kill but please, check the facts - Speed traps (or the lack of) are not proportionally assocaited with road deaths......speed is :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

ninja900 wrote: »
    If the gardai were more enlightened, they would support citizens who encourage others to obey the law.

They wouldn't flash if the patrol car was not there though!!

Encouraging others not to get caught is the real reason they flash.

Ever seen a 100MPH car getting flashed when the cops were NOT around?

Pgibson wrote: »
    They wouldn't flash if the patrol car was not there though!!

Well it was somewhat tongue in cheek!

But isn't the point supposed to be to get people to slow down?

Life ain't always empty.

HonalD wrote: »
    No, still a mile off the target - "Spare me the speed kills guff" - Statistics damn statistics, give them a look up my dear - I am not denying that bad drivers kill but please, check the facts - Speed traps (or the lack of) are not proportionally assocaited with road deaths......speed is :(

You have been sold a pup I'm afraid.

The NRA road accident statistics do NOT list excessive speed as the most common cause of accidents, not even close. (And even if the 'excessive speed' box is ticked on an accident report, usually that's just a subjective judgement by a Garda, rather than measuring skid marks etc. to accurately estimate speed.)

Crossing to the wrong side of the road is the leading cause of fatalities here. Mainly because we have a lot of crap drivers (cannot corner safely, cannot overtake safely, because they've never been trained properly) on single-carriageway roads which are unsuitable for the volume of traffic they carry.

But yeah easier to just say "Speed kills" rather than admit the State is at fault in the provision of proper driver testing and training and suitable roads.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

mick_irl wrote: »
    Stopped on the way back up today and got some pics of it.

As you can see the Garda in question is actually speed trapping the trees.

Having said that, I got flashed twice as I was approaching it by drivers coming in the opposite direction!

is that really pointing in the right direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭Pgibson

I always say that it would be a good idea to dress up some civilians in Garda uniforms and have them wander about the place.

They could be paid the minimum wage.

They would give the impression that the police are everywhere.

One such person could stand at every "Black Spot" to frighten the drivers into being law abiding.

OR we could just have proper policing, like other countries do... ffs

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement